Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:48 pm
Posts: 2
I'm owner of a Cannondale Supersix EVO ( previous model ) equipped originally with a SRAM RED 22 groupset.
I've bought a SRAM Etap mini group and made the swap of both derailleurs and brake levers .
My concern is the following :
when reatching the 11th sproket with the Etap rear derailleur , without chain , I observe a mechanical clash between the cage ( low pulley area ) and the spokes of the wheel .
I noticed that the rear derailleur is moving not parallel to the bike axis when going from right to left ( upwards ). It's like he's turning around a virtual pivot , a bit like the "Yaw" front derailleur .
Rem : With a mechanical RED 22 derailleur , when chain is removed, there is approx a gap of +/- 3-4 mm between derailleur cage and spoke in the 11th position .

I've made the following tests , without success :

- replaced the Cannondale hanger by an other Cannondale hanger , comming from an other Supersix EVO .
- tested different rear wheels
- tested the Etap rear derailleur on an other Cannondale Supersix Evo frame .

Result is always similar : clash with the spokes .

I do not understand what's the origin of this problem .


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Posts: 1386
Location: Canada
You need to align hanger with a hanger alignment tool such as the park tools DAG. New hangers and bikes do not come pre aligned. They almost always need alignment.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

_________________
My RCA


Top
   
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:08 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:09 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Posts: 1915
Limits set correctly?

_________________
Using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 437
Didier wrote:
I'm owner of a Cannondale Supersix EVO ( previous model ) equipped originally with a SRAM RED 22 groupset.
I've bought a SRAM Etap mini group and made the swap of both derailleurs and brake levers .
My concern is the following :
when reatching the 11th sproket with the Etap rear derailleur , without chain , I observe a mechanical clash between the cage ( low pulley area ) and the spokes of the wheel .
I noticed that the rear derailleur is moving not parallel to the bike axis when going from right to left ( upwards ). It's like he's turning around a virtual pivot , a bit like the "Yaw" front derailleur .

Rem : With a mechanical RED 22 derailleur , when chain is removed, there is approx a gap of +/- 3-4 mm between derailleur cage and spoke in the 11th position.

I do not understand what's the origin of this problem .


This is normal , I have the same issue. With the rear derailleur under tension there is no problem. If you push the low pully forward you see that it will line perfectly with the sprockets. And I cannot imagine there are a lot of people riding without a chain. :smartass:

_________________
Scott Foil Team edition / Holdsworth Competition / Gluing tubular and add water.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: it's raining, it must be uk
^^^this

on my bike even a mechanical red (10-speed) just touches, with 11-speed i think it's more pronounced - the hanger is perfectly aligned

broken chains aren't common, i do wonder about the consequences if it should happen with the rd on the biggest cog, but presumably i'll be going slow in that situation!


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:38 pm
Posts: 185
Location: Philippines
I'm running ETap + TCR ISP '16 + Reynolds carbon clinchers. Clearance is really tight!


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:56 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Posts: 1772
Location: SYD
It needs the chain it's in the tech docs but with out the tension of the chain ( SRAM mechs don't use a sprung pivot like campag and shimano ) the mech will go into the spokeS.. Put the dam chain on already :smartass:

_________________
Skunkworks Bikes


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:43 pm
Posts: 116
PinaRene wrote:
Didier wrote:
I'm owner of a Cannondale Supersix EVO ( previous model ) equipped originally with a SRAM RED 22 groupset.
I've bought a SRAM Etap mini group and made the swap of both derailleurs and brake levers .
My concern is the following :
when reatching the 11th sproket with the Etap rear derailleur , without chain , I observe a mechanical clash between the cage ( low pulley area ) and the spokes of the wheel .
I noticed that the rear derailleur is moving not parallel to the bike axis when going from right to left ( upwards ). It's like he's turning around a virtual pivot , a bit like the "Yaw" front derailleur .

Rem : With a mechanical RED 22 derailleur , when chain is removed, there is approx a gap of +/- 3-4 mm between derailleur cage and spoke in the 11th position.

I do not understand what's the origin of this problem .


This is normal , I have the same issue. With the rear derailleur under tension there is no problem. If you push the low pully forward you see that it will line perfectly with the sprockets. And I cannot imagine there are a lot of people riding without a chain. :smartass:



Yup, my eTap RD without chain will touch my 404 Firecrest spokes, just a tiny lil' bit. Enough to destroy the spokes if the wheels flexed. But then again, i dont think I will ride my bike wihtout a chain... :mrgreen:


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 161
I second the idea of checking the hanger alignment. That vintage SuperSix has a really flexible hanger. I was constantly tweaking mine in normal use ( no crashes or falling over). I would worry about what might happen if my chain broke with that interference.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:25 am
Posts: 1468
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
djwalker wrote:
That vintage SuperSix has a really flexible hanger. I was constantly tweaking mine in normal use ( no crashes or falling over). .


This is why the pro-team had stainless steel hangers made for these bikes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 am
Posts: 260
I have a super six himod, and yes, I always keep a spare hanger on the side. They seem to go out of alignment (no, it is without a crash...)
Going back to the original issue, what would happen if the chain brakes or drops. They shouldn't happen but what if?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 pm
Posts: 406
Location: Physically in Montréal, but my mind is in the Pyrénées
I noticed this too when I built my Evo eTap, even with correctly set limits. I wasn't sure if it was normal or not so I checked the derailleur hanger alignement, mine was a bit off but not critically so. I aligned the hanger and that still happened but as everyone says, once the chain is installed, it's okay. I checked the distance between each pivot of the rear derailleur's parallelogram, it's actually not a perfect parallelogram so it seems like they designed the cage to pivot a little bit to 'aim' at the chainrings throughout the cassette range, not unlike the Yaw front derailleur.

I guess if a chain snaps or drops and you are on the biggest rear cog, it could create a mess, although the direction the spokes would go when riding, maybe each spoke would just ramp and rub the cage and push it as the cage angle makes it so the lower pulley end is what contacts the spokes, without chain tension, it would be pointed toward the rear and the now front pointing top of the cage wouldn't hook the spokes... Not ideal but, maybe not ripping everything off. But it wont touch the spokes when you are shifted on smaller cogs.

_________________
Dan Gerous


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:44 am
Posts: 723
Yeah, the original Evo hanger was soft as hell.

They updated it, adding some strengthening dimensions to it and perhaps using harder material. I had my first Evo go out of alignment with a bent hanger, with no crashing too, and just through constant shifting putting force on the it.

I suppose there is a cut off point for how hard a hanger can be, or it wont do its job when it comes to the crunch, but Cannondale went a bit too soft on this one for sure.

_________________
My Youtube Channel; Technical Bike Stuff, LOLz and Neo-Noir visions from the mirror realm


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:34 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Posts: 1592
Location: Downtown Los Angeles, CA
It's not an Evo issue, it's the eTap rd. I've had it on two different bikes, neither an Evo and both touched the spokes without the chain. It's a moot point since the chain is necessary to function...

_________________
Strava
Current Stable. The Snob Machine | The Crumpton
The Ex's. LS Siena: 6.21kg | Parlee Z5 SLi: 5.9kg | LS Xicon: 5.76kg | C59: 5.7kg | Cervelo R5ca: 5.09kg | Fuji Altamira SE - 6.2kg | Scott Foil - 6.2kg | Evo - 5.18kg | LS Classic - 6.7kg


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:27 pm
Posts: 15
Location: New York, NY
Just to cross-pollinate overlapping threads, a similar discussion is happening over here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143893&p=1319259#p1319259

The long and the short of it:

• Dropped and broken chains happen. This is absolutely without question a problem that should have been designed for. You will not have 'more serious problems' than a dereaileur running into the spokes of your wheel while you are moving. This situation will CAUSE 'more serious problems'

• Whether you have the problem or not really depends on the exact make, model and year of all of your parts involved. Some combinations are easier to solve for than others. The case of 10sp mavic wheels appears to have a resolution. Others hopefully will follow.


Top
   
Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:08 pm 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Sram Etap and Cannondale SISL2 crankset - yes or no?

in Road

westwood

13

3930

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:29 pm

coneill0422 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Help with eTap rear derailleur hitting the spokes (on Canyon CF SLX)

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

dorin

42

4867

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:29 am

dorin View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Sram Etap

in Road

Jowwy

8

1018

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Jowwy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Sram etap Red

in Road

Post Man Pat

4

1453

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:01 pm

keiro View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Sram Etap will there ever be an app.

in Road

Allen254

0

82

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:08 am

Allen254 View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: coriordan, CXrider, Delorre, gzon, kookie and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited