SRAM Etap and Cannondale Supersix : clash in the spokes !

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Samklee15

by Samklee15

Super common issue with etap. Just make sure your chain doesn't break and your spikes will stay intact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

When you have to launch your new product early and you cannot wait in order to seriously test it...

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

:roll: Really I haven't seen a chain break in years..
Like maybe 10 and it was some one who doesn't look after his stuff.
If you can't set up limit screws properly then take your bike to a shop.. if you can't join a chain properly take your bike to a shop. If your dropping the monies needed to get on the ETap game take your bike to a shop...
I love how this thread has gone on for months after it was stated that you need a chain on the bike for the rear mech to clear the spokes in the outer position.. that comes from SRAM FFS, this is 'their' rules of engagement and bitching about it on a web forum isn't going to change a dam thing...
Last edited by sugarkane on Sat May 27, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I'm on etap for 14 months and being curious I checked my setup. Cervelo S5, Zipp red cassette. Without the chain, I still have few mm of clearance when RD is in the biggest cog position. So for me there is nothing wrong with the RD and I can safely start snapping the chains. Still waiting for my first one in my entire cycling career :)

strayduck

by strayduck

Well look, being in the NYC metro area (where there are multiple cycling clubs with hundreds of members each) I personally know two guys that have broken chains in the last year alone. On the road. On well maintained bikes. All I'm saying is that SRAM made a mistake, and for everyone to just be aware and be careful out there.

#wattbazookas #justsayin #statisticscanbehard #dontchainshameyourfriends :beerchug:

1415chris

by 1415chris

As stated, my RD without the chain, being in the biggest cog position doesn't hit the spokes, in fact there is about 2mm of clearance. In the same time gear change from 2 to 1 is still crisp and precise as between any other cogs. So obviously I cannot agree with the statement that there is something wrong with derailleur itself and the same time in the case of chain snap there is a risk of damaging RD or a wheel.
That possibility simply doesn't apply to my setup. I mean catastrophic failure due to chain snap, which of course can snap.

Jepas

by Jepas

My first setup had this issue. Solved with some minor tweeking using an alignment hanger tool. (not too much, since it can brake the hanger)

strayduck

by strayduck

1415chris wrote:As stated, my RD without the chain, being in the biggest cog position doesn't hit the spokes, in fact there is about 2mm of clearance. In the same time gear change from 2 to 1 is still crisp and precise as between any other cogs. So obviously I cannot agree with the statement that there is something wrong with derailleur itself and the same time in the case of chain snap there is a risk of damaging RD or a wheel.
That possibility simply doesn't apply to my setup. I mean catastrophic failure due to chain snap, which of course can snap.

Heh. No need to 'agree' Chris. Glad the issue doesn't apply to you but it applies to many others.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Am I lucky having "no issues" derailleur? :) To my understanding, if we are talking about the same derailleur and it's OK on one frame/wheels combination, not so good on the other frame/wheels, that the problem does not lie with derailleur itself, which I was referring to with my disagreement.
I think, that more accurate would be the statement, that in some setups it may cause issues in the case of chain failure.

strayduck

by strayduck

1415chris wrote:Am I lucky having "no issues" derailleur? :) To my understanding, if we are talking about the same derailleur and it's OK on one frame/wheels combination, not so good on the other frame/wheels, that the problem does not lie with derailleur itself, which I was referring to with my disagreement.
I think, that more accurate would be the statement, that in some setups it may cause issues in the case of chain failure.

I think the question at hand is with how wide of a range of bikes/wheels should SRAM have made their derailleurs compatible? If you believe in safety like Shimano and Campy demonstrate, then it should be "all" bikes/wheels that are set up for 11 speed and it should be acknowledged that SRAM engineers have made a mistake. It's ok. It happens. They're human--but from the sounds of their official statements it seems like humans infected with hubris.

wongp

by wongp

I discovered this today on my SSE 2020 with WTO wheels and etap wifili.

A problem which also affects me unfortunately.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Same here, but only with the WiFli RD. The Short Cage RD is pretty straight, but the WiFli RD looked twisted without a chain attached. It works perfect though with a chain, so nothing to worry about.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana