Calling all Enve wheel owners: any surface blems?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sd5500

by sd5500

The 6.7s I had were perfect, and so are the 4.5s I currently have. No issues on either set.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

25 tubulars, 45 tubulars, 3.4 tubulars, 3.4 clinchers, 4.5 clinchers, 6.7 tubulars, 6.7 clinchers: all had what I would call cosmetic blemishes. Only the 45 classic tubulars had that issue turn out to be a warranty issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Ya. I have had quite a few sets of ENVEs, two sets of 65s, 2 sets of 6.7s, a set of 4.5s, 3.4s, 7.8s, and 2 sets of 8.9s. They are generally gorgeous wheels. I even bought a 'blem' 65 direct from enve and could never figure out what the blem was. I believe they don't use filler on any of their wheels, hence the slightly different look and occasional small marks. I have had one or two very minor nicks in the seam in line with the spoke holes, but I have never had a single issue with a rim aside from blowing into a 2x2 piece of L metal at 33 mph and chipping a 8.9 rim. I have done over 25,000 miles on Enves including quite a few gravel grinders and probably 3000+ miles of dirt and gravel roads. Honestly, they aren't the lightest wheels out there, but hot damn are they strong, stiff, and aero.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

*My team was sponsored by them for a few years, but I just switched teams this season and am on different wheels, so this isn't a sponsor plug just fyi

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

My 6.7 tubs are almost perfect. There's a small section on the rear along the brake track where an air pocket was, I haven't used them enough to wear the surface down past this point yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

exctasy

by exctasy

anyone with similar 'issues' on their wheels?

Dropped enve support an email & below is their response

Thanks for sharing that picture. The white lines are pretty typical markings on our carbon wheels. They generally show up on all of our wheels - but in varying degrees. What you are seeing is resin powder that comes through the fibers during the curing process. Typically, they will become more visible after the wheels age. The lines are present from the beginning of when the rim was made, so some will show right away. We've done quite a bit of testing on these markings as well and haven't found any discrepancies or differences in the structural integrity of the wheel. These cosmetic marks are small variances that are the result of not using paint, filler, cosmetic weave layers.

The other photo, of the line in your wheel is the seam where the rim was joined during the manufacturing process. Again, it's 100% cosmetic and does not effect the structure or performance of your wheel at all. We don't use any paint or filler on our rims, so every rim is unique and have their own slight variances.

fh8425

by fh8425

exctasy wrote:anyone with similar 'issues' on their wheels?

Dropped enve support an email & below is their response

Thanks for sharing that picture. The white lines are pretty typical markings on our carbon wheels. They generally show up on all of our wheels - but in varying degrees. What you are seeing is resin powder that comes through the fibers during the curing process. Typically, they will become more visible after the wheels age. The lines are present from the beginning of when the rim was made, so some will show right away. We've done quite a bit of testing on these markings as well and haven't found any discrepancies or differences in the structural integrity of the wheel. These cosmetic marks are small variances that are the result of not using paint, filler, cosmetic weave layers.

The other photo, of the line in your wheel is the seam where the rim was joined during the manufacturing process. Again, it's 100% cosmetic and does not effect the structure or performance of your wheel at all. We don't use any paint or filler on our rims, so every rim is unique and have their own slight variances.

With Enve's reply ... if all you shown is "normal", it will bias my decision on my forth coming purchase of the wheel set ..

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I have had 5 sets of Enves, my 3.4s were perfect, my first set of 4.5s ended up with some issues with Enve promptly took care of. My first set of 29 XC wheels were great, but my current M50s look like exctasy's photos of the resin powder. I don't even notice it anymore and it's easy to miss unless you're up close.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Of all the above photos, I really don't like the look of the rim join ones at all. Very poor.

The streaky white marks I could live with......

With Chinese brands knocking out quality wheels for 1/3 of the price, this simply isn't good enough.

exctasy

by exctasy

Any enve owners with wheels without the white streaks or that seam..

wingguy

by wingguy

cyclespeed wrote:Of all the above photos, I really don't like the look of the rim join ones at all. Very poor.

With Chinese brands knocking out quality wheels for 1/3 of the price, this simply isn't good enough.

Just remember that with many other rims the joins are still there, they've just been covered up. And while the cosmetic quality is personal preference, it would be very hard to argue that it is affecting the structural quality of the wheels.

I would certainly bet that Enve rims would come out better in any kind of destructive testing than any set of Chinese wheels out there.
Last edited by wingguy on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

exctasy wrote:Any enve owners with wheels without the white streaks or that seam..

i have the seams on most of my wheels...but i really have to look for them with a flashlight or in bright sunshine. normally, it is not even visible. the white streaks on the other hand...i do not have on any of my wheels. i do have the occasional marks that occur when stacking bikes against each other...but those are mostly superficial and rub out.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

wingguy wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:Of all the above photos, I really don't like the look of the rim join ones at all. Very poor.

Just remember that with many other rims the joins are still there, they've just been covered up. And while the cosmetic quality is personal preference, it would be very hard to argue that it is effecting the structural quality of the wheels.

I would certainly bet that Enve rims would come out better in any kind of destructive testing than any set of Chinese wheels out there.

agreed. the chinese wheels that i had once (had 2 sets of Far Sports wheels) appeared to be painted even though it said that it is UD carbon...you just couldn't see the carbon. the ballast brake track was the only area where you can actually see carbon material or a rough texture that wasn't painted. that said, i had too many issues with them and cracked a set which was replaced. i would gladly pay more for a higher quality wheel that had a cosmetic seam in it. doesn't bother me one bit...as long as they perform as they should.

also, just another point...the seams are more apparent with my SES 6.7 because of the larger rim depth that lets say, the SES 3.4.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spartan

by spartan

enve wheels are overpriced/overrated.

with the strong american dollar you can buy campy bora's online ~1500USD. flawless finish quality/no rim tape required. the best hub in the industry.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com