Trek Madone fork crack

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bergwerk

by Bergwerk

A question for you carbon guru's. While cleaning my 2013 Trek Madone I noticed some cracks around the bottom of the fork crown. What do you make of these? Paint cracks or is the carbon separating from the aluminum steerer? The forks don't creak of have any undue flex. But still, doesn't look very confidence inspiring, what do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

I'd say go asap to your LBS so they can send pictures to Trek. This doesnt look good.

upside

by upside

Those appear to look like paint cracks.

Svetty

by Svetty

Look like paint cracks to me. White is susceptible to cracking. Hard to be certain though and that isn't an area where tapping with a coin would probably be of much help. Worth getting LBS to take a look.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Looks like paint to me. I wouldn't worry about that at all.
The paint is laid thickly there on an uneven surface, with temperature changes it will expand and then dry out ever so slightly in the same way mud does, when it dries it contacts and the tiny cracks appear.

I really wouldn't worry but for your own peace of mind you may want to ask your bike shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bergwerk

by Bergwerk

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I sent Trek a mail and they responded that the brake calliper bolt being overtightened might be the cause. No way to be certain of that as I bought the bike second hand. Would have to be tightened insanely to compress the carbon shell and alu steerer for that to compress I recon. Anyway, they suggested i take it into a dealer to have them check it out. But with all that's been said I think I'll keep riding it for now.

spiddy

by spiddy

Old thread but did you get to the botrom of this one? Just noticed identical cracks on my 2013 Madone 4.5 forks too.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

I’ve known a few people with Treks having issues. Big ones. I’d dump it and buy a more reputable manufacturer’s frameset.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

I’ve known a few people with Treks having issues. Big ones. I’d dump it and buy a more reputable manufacturer’s frameset. Treks seem to be garbage.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lol. On top of being pretty reputable (a third of all US IBD sales,) Trek has the best warranty policy in the business.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spiddy

by spiddy

Quick update: In my case I've been advised by the Trek UK warranty department that this is indeed cosmetic and given the all clear to continue riding the bike. That said I've to keep an eye on it and get back in touch should it get any worse.