Lightest China frameset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The fm066 chinese frame is a nice example of a good light frame.

It comes in standard and light versions. Reading the comments you'd think to stay away from the light version. The truth is that the type of carbon is different. They use t1000 for the light version and t700/800 for the standard.

I flipped my fm066 once and not a scratch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ericmerg1

by ericmerg1

I emailed dengfu about the fm066 frame. maybe this will end up in my possession

glepore

by glepore

Thank you Kaiser!

The thing about "China" is that its the worlds largest industrial economy, hence you can buy anything from crap to excellence. Of course you don't want anything from Greatkeen that pretends to be something that its not, for obvious reasons. OTOH, there are producers there that actually build real bikes. The grey area are folks like workswell that build real bikes from ip stolen designs.

There are some "crossover" items. The xpresso pedals come to mind. I've held both in my hands,taken them apart, and there is next to zero discernable difference. Same with the ultralight one piece Bontranger bars out there, Bontrager gave up on the design, and the ones on ali are obviously made from their ip. Are they safe? I dunno, Trek binned them and I don't have enough experience to know why, as very, very few consumers saw them in the wild.

I get really sick, though, of the "China will kill you" comments. I've seen folks killed, literally, by random sticks through the spokes of a wheel held by a reputable carbon fork, or broken xyz major frame made in the orient but branded xyz. Likewise, dropouts that don't align (pick any manufacturer, Trek, Cannondale, Spec). Youtube has video of bad carbon frames from everyone, including some of the "hallowed" Italian brands. So just stop, really.

I'm not saying there's not socioeconomic reasons you might be legitimately opposed, but spreading fear is bullshit.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Every time someone stir up a thread with keyword "China..." God cries!

There's no excellence in China. Their industrial economy is based on quantity. China is all about copying and reversed engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

eric01

by eric01

mpulsiv wrote:Every time someone stir up a thread with keyword "China..." God cries!

There's no excellence in China. Their industrial economy is based on quantity. China is all about copying and reversed engineering.

This is such an ignorant post I don't even know where to begin.

That specialized logo you use on your avatar? Where do you think Specialized manufacturers its top end bikes?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

eric01 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:Every time someone stir up a thread with keyword "China..." God cries!

This is such an ignorant post I don't even know where to begin.

That specialized logo you use on your avatar? Where do you think Specialized manufacturers its top end bikes?

What does my avatar has to do with facts about China?!
Giant and Specialized are made in Taiwan. The country of bike industry pioneers.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

BRM

by BRM

Specialized wrote in 2013:

Our bikes are produced mainly in Taiwan and China. . . .

Merida owns 49% of Specialized.
Merida has 5 factories: 1 in Taiwan, 3 in China and 1 in Germany.

:|

kgt

by kgt

It's not about where, it's about who and how.

Kurets

by Kurets

I dont get why people want to nitpick so much about words in these topics. Obviously, location is not what makes a good or bad frame. What decides is QC and process mangement.
When you buy production from someone a large part of the job is to make sure that the supplier maintains a consistent quality level. Big companies line Specialized, Canyon, Trek etc. Can do that and have sufficient muscle to keep manufacturers in line.
When you buy an unbranded frame from a company with barely any responsibility in your home country. It should be obvious that their quality management will be less thorough than that of a big brand. That will not mean that a frame will fall apart by looking at it, it just means that chances of you getting a lemon is higher, even if that might mean 5% instead of 0,5%.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Troll thread yields troll responses. If op had just done a cursory thread search people wouldn't respond so strongly to the 300th generic china thread.

Sent from my KFARWI using Tapatalk

hambini

by hambini

For what it's worth, my genuine cervelo s5 had a rubbish finished bottom bracket and that was made in Taiwan to allegedly "superior" canadian manufacturing tolerances.

I don't really think it matters where the frame is made as much as what it's made out of and the luck of the draw as to who made it. Just because something is made in the west does not instantly make it better.

My 2 pence worth
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

kgt

by kgt

Cervelos are not the pinnacle of frame manufacturing. Just a mass-made frame like many others. If you want quality look towards Time Skylon, Colnago C60 and other handmade boutique frames.

hambini

by hambini

kgt wrote:Cervelos are not the pinnacle of frame manufacturing. Just a mass-made frame like many others. If you want quality look towards Time Skylon, Colnago C60 and other handmade boutique frames.

For carbon, I thought they were all "hand made" then machine nuked.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Multebear

by Multebear

The only frame I have bought new and still not parted with, is a FR-601 China cyclocross frame. It's fairly light for a CX frame, ~ 1.100 grams frame, and ~ 400 grams fork. But it's just so sturdy. This frame has taken so much abuse while riding cx, I'm amased, it's still in one piece. I've had broken ribs and several other sprained limbs caused by crashes, but the frame is fine. It barely has scratches on it's 3k matt black finish. Paid $ 400 for it 5 years ago.

I'm familiar with several teammates, who ride or have ridden FM066SL frames, with no issues. And as other mention, it's resonably light as well. Good for a WW budget project.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

jorisee01 wrote:Isn't it:
Light
Cheap
Durable

Pick two! Because you can't have all of them.

High end brands with R&D budgets and consistent QC can approach this but you pay for aforementioned R&D and QC.

You also forgot compliant (for the rider) and stiff (for power transfer) in your list. This brings us into the realm of well engineered layup schedules which I doubt we'll find in these open mould frames for quite a while if ever.

Just FYI the original list is from project management: time, budget and quality, pick two.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk
Last edited by dmulligan on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com