1) China is all about poor quality and mass quantity.
2) Now back to the topic. You are a WW, you love cycling. You love everything about it, you spend your hard earned money for pure joy. Why would you even consider cheap Chinese knock-off frame? It makes sense for someone who doesn't enjoy this sport to full extend and just want something cheap to get from point A to point to B. If we take a wild guess, 99% of riders on this forum love cycling and don't feel guilty spending more money.
Spoil yourself because you only live once.
1) Really? Do you find that chinese people are less knowledgeable than americans or europeans? Surely they don't spend as much money on R&D. But why would they, when we've done it for them. It's not that hard to make similar products of similar quality, and especially not bike frames. It's not rocket science. There's a lot of stuff of very fine quality from over there. Have you ever seen a FM066SL frame? They are excellent.
2) It's true that a lot of us care about our gear, and don't feel guilty spending a lot of money on it. But not everyone is loaded here, and you can get just as much joy from a chinese frame with Shimano 105 group set, as with a Colnago with EPS SR. Actually you get more joy out of the chinese frame, if you beat the guy on the Colnago. One of my friends made it all the way from Cat 4 to Cat 1 on a 15 year old alu frame, with equally old Campy mid level 9 speed group set (Veloce if I'm not mistaken). He beat all the guys with Di2, EPS and +5k frames. That is something. No one talks about all the other guys he beat with their expensive gear, they talk about him.
Don't make it all about expensive gear, less expensive has it's place as well. And joy comes from being on your bike, enjoying nature, good company and healthy competition.
There's a dedicated thread for "FM066SL" and last I checked it was over 70 pages. Many complains due to non-consistency in quality, weight discrepancies and prices. It's like flipping a coin, with these knock-off frames. Show me a reputable website where a customer can safely place an order with a credit card, show me the detailed specs provided by the distributor. Prove that "FM066SL" comes from the same factory and it's a genuine product. Do they even have serial numbers? As I type this, another factory in China is doing reverse engineering of "FM066SL" and selling to other suckers at a lower cost.
1) Did I say "chinese people are less knowledgeable than americans or Europeans"? You fail to interpret my message. Can you back up your statement "There's a lot of stuff of very fine quality from over there". Please enlighten me. People in China are pioneers for copying and reverse engineers. I'm not making this up, this is straight facts.
2) I'm not telling you that you need a Colnago or Cipollini to enjoy this sport because I race on $600 aluminum frame. Road bikes are more affordable now. You can pick up a fantastic Giant TCR carbon bike with full Shimano 105 for ~$1600 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-2
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.
CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder