Lightest China frameset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liam7020

by liam7020

Probably not. Given the choice between a used big brand frame that may have been crashed or dropped and a new open mould frame from a trusted, reputable vendor I know where my moolah would be going.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

glepore

by glepore

$650 or so.

I don't know why the comment above about wheels, lots of folks here using them. Usual carbon clincher concerns, but that's not specific to a country or build.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

kgt wrote:May I ask what is the price of these no name (sorry FM066SL is not a name) frames?
I am asking because I am sure that one can find many slightly used carbon frames from reputable manufacturers at the same prices.

369 USD from Velobuild. Velobuild use another name, but it is a FM066SL model.

http://www.velobuildmall.com/vb-r-055-s ... p0023.html

kgt

by kgt

369 USD + 80 USD shipping cost = 449 usd. I am sure you can find great used frames (neither crashed nor dropped) for 600 USD.
Anyway the most ridiculous thing is 400 USD frames with super Record or etap groupsets and 2000 USD wheelsets. Just MHO.

glepore

by glepore

The velobuild is the workswell version of the bike with the bbright. Its not actually an fm066sl-the fm is available with bsa or bb30, the workswell version with bbright.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

stanley

by stanley

I already use 2013 cervelo s5 ( made in taiwan), sold last year
Now i have 2013 lynskey R 340
No 22 bikes great divide ( made in america)
Wilier zero seven ( not sure where is really made)
I have brompton S6R raw laquer folding bike ( england )
Trek 8500 MTB (america they said )
My last bike now is hongfu fm 069 ( true chineese made)
I was really surprised with fm 069 performance
Really good for $ 530 frame set
Just quarter price than my other american frame
So i spend lot for all my bikes
For me , not the price but the quality and sense of riding it wheter its chineese , european, america [emoji631] or maybe anaother country in the world
Because its not just where its made
But its about passion to ride for me
Now i just start saving money to cacht another my obsesion frame , australian bastion and last is stinner steel frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

kgt wrote:369 USD + 80 USD shipping cost = 449 usd. I am sure you can find great used frames (neither crashed nor dropped) for 600 USD.
Anyway the most ridiculous thing is 400 USD frames with super Record or etap groupsets and 2000 USD wheelsets. Just MHO.

That's great. Each to his own.

asc8ic

by asc8ic

It's not a good idea, because i saw many of accident from unqualified frame or parts....
If you don't wanna worried about some sort of defect, don't but it..

ms6073

by ms6073

kgt wrote:Anyway the most ridiculous thing is 400 USD frames with super Record or etap groupsets and 2000 USD wheelsets. Just MHO.

Yeah, I am sure that is exactly what others are thinking when riding/racing with someone who saved money by purchasing an open-mold frame and decied to splurge on compoents and wheels. While I am no longer racing, a few years back, our CX masters team opted to go with an open-mold disc brake frames, and because a sponsor was able to leverage OEM pricing on DA-9000 parts, we could afford to also get Enve CX forks, Enve disc brake tubular wheelsets, and some even got Hollowgram SRM's. Having had 5 of us contest all of the USGP CX series events and a slew of other CX events around the US, not one of the team's frames suffered from anything more than normal wear and tear assoicated with nearly 4-months of weekly racing.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Like I said "Every time someone stir up a thread with keyword "China..." God cries!" and here's why.
This thread is going nowhere because those of you that endorse Chinese open-mold, Hongfu/Dengfu, FM066SL or whatever you want to call it, keep failing to provide facts.
I have asked this before yet I see pointless replies.

*Show me a reputable website where a customer can safely place an order with a credit card.
*Show me the detailed specs provided by the distributor.
*Prove that "FM066SL" comes from the same factory and it's a genuine product.
*Do serial numbers exist in their line-up?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

mpulsiv wrote:Like I said "Every time someone stir up a thread with keyword "China..." God cries!"

Because of you, actually, and people just like you.

mpulsiv wrote:*Show me a reputable website where a customer can safely place an order with a credit card.

1. Most sellers take Paypal. Paypal transactions can be paid in multiple ways, including a credit card, and the transaction is protected.
2. They're around, just ask for them or do your own damn searching on the internet.
3. Openmould. Look it up sometime.
4. Depends on the maker.

Get off your f*cking high horse, go ride your bike. If you don't like an open-mould frame and don't have personal, direct experience with one then don't post in this thread, keep your opinion to your self.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

prendrefeu wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:Like I said "Every time someone stir up a thread with keyword "China..." God cries!"

Because of you, actually, and people just like you.

mpulsiv wrote:*Show me a reputable website where a customer can safely place an order with a credit card.

1. Most sellers take Paypal. Paypal transactions can be paid in multiple ways, including a credit card, and the transaction is protected.
2. They're around, just ask for them or do your own damn searching on the internet.
3. Openmould. Look it up sometime.
4. Depends on the maker.

Get off your f*cking high horse, go ride your bike. If you don't like an open-mould frame and don't have personal, direct experience with one then don't post in this thread, keep your opinion to your self.

I'm not against any of this. I'm just looking for more information. Seems like you know everything about this so why don't you chime-in?
You still fail to answer fundamental questions.
1. Most sellers? Who are most sellers? China population is 1.4 billion people.
2. They are around? Where? In the cloud? Have you tried to Google "China frame" to see much GIGO (garbage-in-garbage-out) populates in your search.
3. See #2
4. What maker? You mean seller that come up with random names (e.g. Carbon fiber ultimate, carbon fiber lightweight)
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

alcatraz

by alcatraz

kgt wrote:May I ask what is the price of these no name (sorry FM066SL is not a name) frames?
I am asking because I am sure that one can find many slightly used carbon frames from reputable manufacturers at the same prices.

Buying a used (chinese) frame may sound completely crazy. It does come with one benefit apart from the price. It's that the frame simply has held up ok.

If the frame has survived a similarly heavy rider for a season or two of real riding and no cracks then it could, in a way, be seen as an even safer choice than a brand spanking new chinese or big brand frame.

Multebear

by Multebear

@mpulsiv I think everyone in this topic are familiar with your point of view at this point, and your concerns and warnings about chinese products are noted. And you're obviously fully entitled to your opinion. But this topic is about finding options for light china frames. Opinions about chinese products in generel don't belong in this topic. I don't agree with you, especially since I have personel experience on the matter, but I respect your right to disagree, as that is the nature of a debate forum. But please state your opinions in a topic, where debating those opinions continiously are relevant. As said, your concerns are noted. Let's move on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

The topic was and is "Lightest China frameset". Indoctrinate your kids or your dogs.