Lightest China frameset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmulligan

by dmulligan

BRM wrote:Recommended is to avoid carbon dropouts.

Please elaborate. Also is this advice specific to Chinese frames?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

BRM wrote:Specialized wrote in 2013:

Our bikes are produced mainly in Taiwan and China. . . .

Merida owns 49% of Specialized.
Merida has 5 factories: 1 in Taiwan, 3 in China and 1 in Germany.

:|

Every frame has a sticker "Made in...". I have never seen Specialized road frame with a sticker "Made in China". As a matter of fact my son kids bike "HotRock 20" is not "Made in China".

Cycling industry aside, I have never seen a single product made with excellence. I have never heard anyone swear by Chinese made products from intelligent people. China is all about poor quality and mass quantity.

Now back to the topic. You are a WW, you love cycling. You love everything about it, you spend your hard earned money for pure joy. Why would you even consider cheap Chinese knock-off frame? It makes sense for someone who doesn't enjoy this sport to full extend and just want something cheap to get from point A to point to B. If we take a wild guess, 99% of riders on this forum love cycling and don't feel guilty spending more money.

Spoil yourself because you only live once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

mpulsiv wrote:
Cycling industry aside, I have never seen a single product made with excellence. I have never heard anyone swear by Chinese made products from intelligent people. China is all about poor quality and mass quantity.

First of all, you are holding an iphone while posting. Where was it made?

Second, I'm not stupid (I won't cite credentials here but 30 yrs a cyclist and a postgrad professional degree) nor do I believe the other posters here who have ridden the FM066 or its ilk and endorse them are. So if you need to stroke your own ego thusly, go ahead.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

glepore wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

First of all, you are holding an iphone while posting. Where was it made?

Second, I'm not stupid (I won't cite credentials here but 30 yrs a cyclist and a postgrad professional degree) nor do I believe the other posters here who have ridden the FM066 or its ilk and endorse them are. So if you need to stroke your own ego thusly, go ahead.

First it was a comment about my avatar, now a comment about iPhone. What's going to be next? You can't compare production factory fully controlled by Apple next to Chinese knock-off bike frames with no QC in place. Needless to say, iPhone is in very high demand worldwide next to Chinese knock-off bike frames. You as an individual have a choice when it comes to bike frames but not so much choice when it comes to iPhone.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

hambini wrote:For what it's worth, my genuine cervelo s5 had a rubbish finished bottom bracket and that was made in Taiwan to allegedly "superior" canadian manufacturing tolerances.

Cervelo is not Canadian. Hasn't been for a long time, and the S5 never was.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

hambini

by hambini

Mr.Gib wrote:
hambini wrote:For what it's worth, my genuine cervelo s5 had a rubbish finished bottom bracket and that was made in Taiwan to allegedly "superior" canadian manufacturing tolerances.

Cervelo is not Canadian. Hasn't been for a long time, and the S5 never was.

The sticker on the bike before I peeled it off said designed in canada.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Multebear

by Multebear

mpulsiv wrote:
1) China is all about poor quality and mass quantity.

2) Now back to the topic. You are a WW, you love cycling. You love everything about it, you spend your hard earned money for pure joy. Why would you even consider cheap Chinese knock-off frame? It makes sense for someone who doesn't enjoy this sport to full extend and just want something cheap to get from point A to point to B. If we take a wild guess, 99% of riders on this forum love cycling and don't feel guilty spending more money.

1) Really? Do you find that chinese people are less knowledgeable than americans or europeans? Surely they don't spend as much money on R&D. But why would they, when we've done it for them. It's not that hard to make similar products of similar quality, and especially not bike frames. It's not rocket science. There's a lot of stuff of very fine quality from over there. Have you ever seen a FM066SL frame? They are excellent.

2) It's true that a lot of us care about our gear, and don't feel guilty spending a lot of money on it. But not everyone is loaded here, and you can get just as much joy from a chinese frame with Shimano 105 group set, as with a Colnago with EPS SR. Actually you get more joy out of the chinese frame, if you beat the guy on the Colnago. One of my friends made it all the way from Cat 4 to Cat 1 on a 15 year old alu frame, with equally old Campy mid level 9 speed group set (Veloce if I'm not mistaken). He beat all the guys with Di2, EPS and +5k frames. That is something. No one talks about all the other guys he beat with their expensive gear, they talk about him.

Don't make it all about expensive gear, less expensive has it's place as well. And joy comes from being on your bike, enjoying nature, good company and healthy competition.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Multebear wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

2) Now back to the topic. You are a WW, you love cycling. You love everything about it, you spend your hard earned money for pure joy. Why would you even consider cheap Chinese knock-off frame? It makes sense for someone who doesn't enjoy this sport to full extend and just want something cheap to get from point A to point to B. If we take a wild guess, 99% of riders on this forum love cycling and don't feel guilty spending more money.

1) Really? Do you find that chinese people are less knowledgeable than americans or europeans? Surely they don't spend as much money on R&D. But why would they, when we've done it for them. It's not that hard to make similar products of similar quality, and especially not bike frames. It's not rocket science. There's a lot of stuff of very fine quality from over there. Have you ever seen a FM066SL frame? They are excellent.

2) It's true that a lot of us care about our gear, and don't feel guilty spending a lot of money on it. But not everyone is loaded here, and you can get just as much joy from a chinese frame with Shimano 105 group set, as with a Colnago with EPS SR. Actually you get more joy out of the chinese frame, if you beat the guy on the Colnago. One of my friends made it all the way from Cat 4 to Cat 1 on a 15 year old alu frame, with equally old Campy mid level 9 speed group set (Veloce if I'm not mistaken). He beat all the guys with Di2, EPS and +5k frames. That is something. No one talks about all the other guys he beat with their expensive gear, they talk about him.

Don't make it all about expensive gear, less expensive has it's place as well. And joy comes from being on your bike, enjoying nature, good company and healthy competition.

There's a dedicated thread for "FM066SL" and last I checked it was over 70 pages. Many complains due to non-consistency in quality, weight discrepancies and prices. It's like flipping a coin, with these knock-off frames. Show me a reputable website where a customer can safely place an order with a credit card, show me the detailed specs provided by the distributor. Prove that "FM066SL" comes from the same factory and it's a genuine product. Do they even have serial numbers? As I type this, another factory in China is doing reverse engineering of "FM066SL" and selling to other suckers at a lower cost.

1) Did I say "chinese people are less knowledgeable than americans or Europeans"? You fail to interpret my message. Can you back up your statement "There's a lot of stuff of very fine quality from over there". Please enlighten me. People in China are pioneers for copying and reverse engineers. I'm not making this up, this is straight facts.

2) I'm not telling you that you need a Colnago or Cipollini to enjoy this sport because I race on $600 aluminum frame. Road bikes are more affordable now. You can pick up a fantastic Giant TCR carbon bike with full Shimano 105 for ~$1600 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-2

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Don't feed the troll this thread is worthless, as is every xenophobic generic China thread. Ask about individual retailers and you'll get actual opinions, otherwise you'll get a bunch of divisive nonsense that benefits no one

glepore

by glepore

^+1
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

CummoY

by CummoY

The thread was ok, it was made worthless....
Colnago C60 C64
Venge Vias - RB
S-Works Venge 2017, 2016x3, 2014
S-Works Tarmac 2017 - Boonen
Pinarello Dogma
BMC IMPEC x 3
Time RXRS BL, RXR, VXRS
Look 595 - Cofidis
Specialized Transition
Dengfu x 5
Razesa Banesto
Carrera - Max
Alan
Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

[quote="Multebear"][quote="mpulsiv"]

2) Now back to the topic. You are a WW, you love cycling. You love everything about it, you spend your hard earned money for pure joy. Why would you even consider cheap Chinese knock-off frame? It makes sense for someone who doesn't enjoy this sport to full extend and just want something cheap to get from point A to point to B. If we take a wild guess, 99% of riders on this forum love cycling and don't feel guilty spending more.
1000% correct.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hongfu/Dengfu are already old suppliers. Just get from there and you shouldnt have more problems than if it were some big brand.

One other positive thing to say about these kind of sellers is that by buying here you get the stuff close to it's manufacturing location. They don't have a million different frames and the bestsellers that really stand out you can count on one hand. Different sellers often sell the same frame.

In contrast when going big brand it's more of a niche choice and the frame you are getting could very well be outsourced to china without the "made in china" sticker. Manufacturing is done far away from the selling point and quality guarantee is mostly judged on the brand as a whole and not a specific model.

Some items like carbon clincher wheels are probably not so wise to get dirt cheap, serious safety concerns, but as far as these mentioned frames go. They seem quite solid.
Last edited by alcatraz on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Multebear

by Multebear

The Velobuild VB-R-077 is another lightweight option.

http://www.velobuildmall.com/vb-r-077-u ... p0015.html

There is a topic about it in here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131826&hilit=vb+r+077

People seem to be satisfied with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

May I ask what is the price of these no name (sorry FM066SL is not a name) frames?
I am asking because I am sure that one can find many slightly used carbon frames from reputable manufacturers at the same prices.