Calfee, Colnago, Parlee?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Of all the things that can fail on a bike, the one that results in the worst injuries is almost always a fork failure. So with that in mind I'd look at the other factors. Alpha Q had some known failure issues, I honestly don't remember if or which models it was specifically though. But consider the following: A large size frame is made for a tall rider, but typically also a heavier rider, so the fork has seen more than likely a good load during use. It's unknown history (regardless of what the seller says you really don't know how many miles are on it, what the ride conditions were, crashes, pot holes, washboards etc...) Then you also have to consider its age which is 10+ years, so it could have massive amounts of use on it. So taking all those things into consideration personally I'd err on the side of caution and replace the fork.

I know we all like to think that bikes can last nearly forever, and they certainly can, but there are some pieces that I personally would consider commodities in that you use them for a while, but then have to toss them and replace them, even though they may not be a wear item like a chain or cassette. Forks, handlebars and wheels would be the main ones, of course the replacement interval would be completely dependent on the brand, component, rider, use and other factors so there's no general rule to govern that, but with an unknown history I'd be on the safe side and start with a fresh fork and likely handlebar as well.

cadence90

by cadence90

^
Perfect, thanks much.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

With this decision you have to go with your heart. Which frame sings to you? Which frame ignites a little bike lust?

Calfee was a dream frame for me going back to the Carbonframes days. I still love the webbed Batman looking lugs. My Dragonfly may have been built extra stiff as a special order. I should have contacted Calfee.

I still look at my all Campy C59 and think, "damn, that's a good looking bike". I'm still in love.

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Wookski wrote:
GonaSovereign wrote:I owned a Calfee Luna Pro. It was a smooth-riding bike and looked lovely. I found it to be not stiff enough through the bb and chain stays. It was a nice bike, overall.

I own a Colnago EPS (timeline: c40> c50 > EP > EPS>C59>c60) and it’s a full-on race bike. Plenty of torsional rigidity in the head/downtube and bb/stays. You’ll definitely feel more of the road, but does it ever go. The C50 I tried was comparable in terms of road feel.

155 lbs, 6'.

EPS is a very relaxed geo- not at all comparable to a c50.

I'm not sure what EPS you're thinking of, but if you have a look at the geo charts, you'll see the top Colnago road frame has had the same geometry for a couple decades. Top tube length, head angle, seat angle are the same. There is one difference: the head tube on the EPS is longer than the C50...because the EPS has an integrated headset. Ditto the c59 and c60. And the EP is the same as the c50, both of which have external headset cups.

Of course, there is some very minor variation between the comparable trad and sloping sizes, but that's it.

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

cadence90 wrote:
MJB wrote:More like a 3+ hour ride- I'm no speed demon...............

Think I'll be keeping my Master X Light as my 'iron horse' option for a long time to come.

Very nice.

Wookski wrote:EPS is a very relaxed geo- not at all comparable to a c50.

Wookski, could you amplify on that? I'm curious.

And, if the EPS is "not at all comparable to the C50", where do the C59 and C60 sit, relative to the C50 and the EPS?

Wookski, I replied in a separate message, but the EPS, C50, C60 all share the same geo. In fact, they're the same as the C40, C50, EP, and EC, but those last four bikes have an external headset design and so a shorter head tube. Top tube, head angle, seat angle, front centre, etc. All the same. Each bike has been somewhat stiffer than the last, but that has nothing to do with geometry. If you have some data to show otherwise, post it up. All the geo charts are available online.

cadence90

by cadence90

GonaSovereign wrote:
cadence90 wrote:
MJB wrote:More like a 3+ hour ride- I'm no speed demon...............

Think I'll be keeping my Master X Light as my 'iron horse' option for a long time to come.

Very nice.

Wookski wrote:EPS is a very relaxed geo- not at all comparable to a c50.

Wookski, could you amplify on that? I'm curious.

And, if the EPS is "not at all comparable to the C50", where do the C59 and C60 sit, relative to the C50 and the EPS?

Wookski, I replied in a separate message, but the EPS, C50, C60 all share the same geo. In fact, they're the same as the C40, C50, EP, and EC, but those last four bikes have an external headset design and so a shorter head tube. Top tube, head angle, seat angle, front centre, etc. All the same. Each bike has been somewhat stiffer than the last, but that has nothing to do with geometry. If you have some data to show otherwise, post it up. All the geo charts are available online.

That is exactly what I thought, GS. Thanks for clearing that up.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

c50jim

by c50jim

As someone who's owned all the carbon frames from C40 to EPS. I can confirm Wookski's statement since the geometry of my 59 traditionals was the same from 1995 (my first C40) to 2010 or whenever the EPS was built. In fact, my Tecnos, Master and Dream were all the same except for head tube length that was dependent on whether the headset was integrated or not.

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

c50jim wrote:As someone who's owned all the carbon frames from C40 to EPS. I can confirm Wookski's statement since the geometry of my 59 traditionals was the same from 1995 (my first C40) to 2010 or whenever the EPS was built. In fact, my Tecnos, Master and Dream were all the same except for head tube length that was dependent on whether the headset was integrated or not.

Hey c50jim, point of clarity, Wookski was saying they were different. You and I and other are saying they are the same. My Colnago ownership is more limited than yours, but I too have owned bikes from older Masters through newer lugged carbon, and they are the same geo except for the HT length adjustment to accommodate the internal HS.

And Cadence90, after all this, you should grab the Colnago! (and the Parlee!)

cadence90

by cadence90

GonaSovereign wrote:
c50jim wrote:As someone who's owned all the carbon frames from C40 to EPS. I can confirm Wookski's statement since the geometry of my 59 traditionals was the same from 1995 (my first C40) to 2010 or whenever the EPS was built. In fact, my Tecnos, Master and Dream were all the same except for head tube length that was dependent on whether the headset was integrated or not.

Hey c50jim, point of clarity, Wookski was saying they were different. You and I and other are saying they are the same. My Colnago ownership is more limited than yours, but I too have owned bikes from older Masters through newer lugged carbon, and they are the same geo except for the HT length adjustment to accommodate the internal HS.

And Cadence90, after all this, you should grab the Colnago! (and the Parlee!)

Thanks GonaSovereign. I figured that c50jim's reply contained that typo (re: Wookski's post) but good for confirming.

I wish! But I really cannot afford, nor do I really desire, 2 c-f frames.

For me:
Kish ti road
Pegoretti Marcelo road
Moots Psychlo-X off-road
+
Colnago or Parlee
would be more than sufficient.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Cadence, get a CAAD12

cadence90

by cadence90

beeatnik wrote:Cadence, get a CAAD12

Heh heh, beeatnik, you crack me up. :)

No, I'm no racer; although I have often ogled Klein QP, Principia Rex, CCKMP, CAADs, Princes/Galileos...with some interest.

cadence90

by cadence90

Can anyone tell me the slope, in degrees, of a Colnago C50, C59, C60 top tube (58 S)?

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

I've been riding for a long time now and have ridden many a fine bike. First CF was the C40. Ultimately sold it for a more responsive (twitchy) bike as I was doing some racing and I liked a quick responsive bike. The C40 was a great bike, but it didn't have that certain snappy feel I was looking for - just a very predictable one.

Now nearly two decades later have come full circle and am riding a C60 in trad geo - this replaced my Look 595, another superb handling bike.

I've ridden a friend's Parlee and the C50. Biggest difference I noticed between the two is that the Nag is a very predictable riding bike - she is just so steady and confident in the corners without that nervous feel, which at this point in my life, is perfect.

As you will not be racing, may just do some long rides - strongly recommend the C50.

Happy trails.
It only hurts if you think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

My son has a 58S but it's cold in the garage and I don't have any confidence in my ability to measure the slope. It looks pretty good if you're worried about it having a steep slope that looks odd. However, I'd suggest that a 58S would be too big for you. My son is 6'4" so quite a bit taller than you and I. I've always been happy with 59T, had one 60T and a 54S. Both of those were OK for me.