Do Campagnolo Routinely Supply Incorrect Lockring With Cassettes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Valbrona wrote:In over 40 years of buying Camapg stuff they seem unable to get the most basic things right.

So just to be clear at the end of this discussion - they did get things right, and they did supply you with the correct lockring, yeah? :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I believe the lockring was fine. Our OP is easily confused by the quirks of Campy tech docs.

I see our esteemed contributor who does this for a living got a subtle dig in:
the tech docs are mostly targeted at competent, trained mechanics
:D
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

bikerjulio wrote:I believe the lockring was fine. Our OP is easily confused by the quirks of Campy tech docs.

I see our esteemed contributor who does this for a living got a subtle dig in:
the tech docs are mostly targeted at competent, trained mechanics
:D

It wasn't intended as such ... but ... you put a smile on my face on a grey day in blighty, today, BikerJulio ... thank you!
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

spud wrote:
spud wrote:as a contrast, I've yet to use a non shimano locking in my Shimano compatible set-ups. Both a SRAM and Edco lockings were so damn tight threading into the body I was afraid I was going to destroy the body. Took them out and installed Shimano instead - happy times.

Well, it has to be said (and I do keep saying it) ... follow what the maker recommends and you are a) reasonably secure in the knowledge that it will work and b) have comeback if it doesn't.
And that goes for Campagnolo, SRAM, Shimano or whatever other kit you are hanging on your bike.
Sure there are workarounds and yes there are lighter, fancier, more go-faster options, and so there should be to keep the big boys on their toes but at the end of the day, unless utilising those options is what gets you out of bed in the mornings, sometimes the hassle of using them just cuts into bike-riding time ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I actually read the bloody Tech Docs - just what people like GFK want me to do. The drawing shows the z11 lockring with a wear plate, and the z12 with no wear plate. Hence the confusion. Well spotted, I should say.

An no. Campagnolo Tech Docs are not aimed at competent, trained mechanics. They are aimed at casual consumers. Or do people really think they should be seeking the services of a Campagnolo Pro-Shop to install a lockring?

Campagnolo are expert at causing confusion where none should exist.

wingguy

by wingguy

Y'know... while I may have just highlighted the importance of reading manuals in another thread... does anyone really think you should be stressing over the fine details of technical drawings before installing a lockring?

Because, well, it's a bloody lockring! :lol:

(And again, just to be clear, the answer to your original question was that Campagnolo don't routinely supply the wrong lockrings, and did not supply you the wrong lockring either?)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

wingguy wrote:Y'know... while I may have just highlighted the importance of reading manuals in another thread... does anyone really think you should be stressing over the fine details of technical drawings before installing a lockring?

If the Campag z12 lockring is drawn in the Tech Doc without a wear plate, but the supposedly z12 lockring supplied in the box has a wear plate ... then plenty of people are going to wonder if the correct lockring has actually been supplied, or if a wear plate has been fitted when one shouldn't have been.

This is a common sense observation. Your use of the phrase "Stressing over the fine details of technical drawings" makes me think you might be a 15 year old kid.

And you might also like to note that people like me tend to look at the info in the Tech Doc that comes supplied with a cassette because this is an easier way of establishing what the ratios are than by looking at the markings stamped on each sprocket and then writing them down using pen and paper.

wingguy

by wingguy

Valbrona wrote:If the Campag z12 lockring is drawn in the Tech Doc without a wear plate, but the supposedly z12 lockring supplied in the box has a wear plate ... then plenty of people are going to wonder if the correct lockring has actually been supplied, or if a wear plate has been fitted when one shouldn't have been.

You think? I dunno,judging by this thread it doesn't look like anyone else has had trouble with it yet.

This is a common sense observation. Your use of the phrase "Stressing over the fine details of technical drawings" makes me think you might be a 15 year old kid.

Easy now! Wind your claws back in Mrs, it's only the internet :lol: