Can you use a KMC power link on a 1/8 Izumi 1/8 chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fozworth

by fozworth

So I'm just about finished on my S/S bike build but the Izumi v tough chain I've used has a screw and threaded cap type master link which I'm a little worried about as far as it comeing off on the road or single track. I've got some 3/32 KMC power links that I had left from another build but they aren't 1/8 .could I still use the power link on the Izumi chain rather than this screw ?
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to road

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

That screw-based Izumi master link is actually really good, better than any of the sliding or snap-on master links. A few track mechanics avoid them just because they don't like master links of any kind and because it's so easy and safe to push a pin part way through to remove a chain and then reinstall that pin again. However, I've seen plenty of World Cup and Worlds competitors using that link and I've never, ever seen one fail.

Your choices are either to use that Izumi master link or simply to use the pins -- remember that on old-style chains like 1/8" track chains, you could push the link almost out to split or add to the chain and then push the same pin back in. It's only on the super-thin flush rivets that current road chains have that one has to discard a used pin or stick with master links. I'd still recommend using that Izumi link. Just be sure you have the square nut tightened on the inside of the chain and you're good to go.

To part of your question, you definitely can't use a 3/32 link on 1/8" chain.

fozworth

by fozworth

Thanks for the reply and advice.I think I will keep the master link then and see how I go
Just need to try and loose the play in my new omnium cranks now. I think it's because I don't have a torque wrench and only a Allen key which although seems to be very tight isn't probably allowing enough leverage to tighten fully and loose the small amount of play .