Campagnolo Lockring

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

I just borrowed my friends alloy tubulars wheelset for a test ride tommorow. But i have a problem:

I know that there is different lockrings for 11T or 12 T. He gave me his wheelset including 12T lockring.

But the strange thing:

I installed the cassette on the freehub (11 speed Campy Chorus 11-29)

Im trying to use my 11T 11s Lockring, but not working.. Thread not compatible with his cassette somehow.. Is there different thread campy lockrings?

I can install his 12T lockring, but it covers part of my 11T on the cassette.. So is it safe to just use his 12T lockring, or this way i'll destroy my 11T?

Please for urgent answers, since i need to install this ready for morning ride (or to just put my wheelset back)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

check the internal diametre of the threaded section. old campag hubs used 26mm ID lockrings, whereas the later design (current) is for 27mm ID.

Just use the lockring given with the wheel, if there is no interference with the 11t cog.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Your friend may have lent you a quite old wheel, pre 1999, which used a lockring that had a thread that is 1 mm smaller diameter than a modern one. (26mm vs 27 mm). Use the 12t Campy lockring and forget about shifting to the 11T cog as a temporary measure.

The campy tool is the same for the old lockrings.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Slimtim

by Slimtim

I recently had the same issue. There are suppliers for the 26mm lock ring I got mkne from alf webb at the bike inn here in the uk.

Miller

by Miller

With a wheel of that vintage, no-one rode 11t sprockets then anyway (lol) so not having an 11 will be period correct. I don't think you can cause any damage if you try to shift into the 11, it's just that the chain won't engage because the lockring won't let the chain fully engage with the teeth.

Campag used to sell a separate lockring for cassettes with an 11 sprocket but with the advent of 11 speed there is just one lockring for 11 teeth and up.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Miller wrote:With a wheel of that vintage, no-one rode 11t sprockets then anyway (lol) so not having an 11 will be period correct. I don't think you can cause any damage if you try to shift into the 11, it's just that the chain won't engage because the lockring won't let the chain fully engage with the teeth.

Campag used to sell a separate lockring for cassettes with an 11 sprocket but with the advent of 11 speed there is just one lockring for 11 teeth and up.

Wrong on both points.

Campy made both 11T and 12T lockrings back in the 9-speed era which used the 26 mm lockring.

An 11-speed cassette still requires an 11T locking if that's the smallest cog and a different one for 12-13T cassettes.

One.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Thanks for the answers :)

I wanted to try freeling of Tubular wheelset :), and borrowed this pair of wheelset which is build by my friend for his Colnago C40 :), and seem that he used vintage Hubs :)

Anyway, i noticed on test ride around the block that lockring is very near to the frame (part of mm), and also getting some strange noise (something knocking). So i decide to dont risk, and just put back my trusty Shamals back.. Seem that my first test ride on tubs will be when i get my Bora's which im ordering tommorow.

Thanks again

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I has always been my assumption that all the dia. 26 lockrings were marked '9 speed'.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Valbrona wrote:I has always been my assumption that all the dia. 26 lockrings were marked '9 speed'.

Correct, though probably to differentiate them from 8-speed.

Does not mean that they only work on a 9-speed cassette though. They are fine for 10 and 11 speed as well.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

In more fascinating lockring trivia I can report that a "10-speed" lockring works fine on an 11-speed cassette as well. In fact it worked better on one application where the 11-speed lockring was rubbing the frame. I discovered that the newer lockring is more than a mm "fatter" than the old steel one. Put on a thinner "10-speed" lockring and all is well.

One.