Building a disc brake bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which option would you pick?

Option 1 - Build it now with R785 DI2 shifters
10%
Option 2 - Wait and build it with 9170 DA DI2 shifters
33%
Option 3 - Wait and build it with eTAP HRD
27%
Option 4 - Wait and build with new Ultegra
13%
Option 5 - Something else
13%
Option 6 - tldr but I like voting
3%

Total votes: 30

L3X

by L3X

Hey all,

Let's say you want to build up a disc brake bike, what of the following options would you go for?

Option 1 - Build it now with R785 DI2 shifters:
+ Parts easily available now
+ Price
- Shifters are pretty ugly

Option 2 - Build it with 9170 DA DI2 shifters:
- Price
- Not available yet

Option 3 - Build it with eTAP HRD:
- Price
- Not available yet

Option 4 - Wait and build with new Ultegra (assuming it will come out this year):
+ Price
- Not available coming half year-year

Option 5 - Something else

I have the options in my head, just can't come up with a good rationale to pick one over the other. Any insights anyone likes to share?

Delorre

by Delorre

All depends on how long you are willing to wait before ridinng that bike: 9170 & eTAP HRD are not yet available. But, a lot of 2017 disc frames are also not yet available. If you have to wait for the frame, I would also wait for the newer groupsets, espacially as you know how much weight diff there is in the shifters between R785 and 9170 / Etap HRD.

9170 gets my vote : junction boxes in the handlebar/ frame, all internal routing of the wires + housings, much smaller derailleurs vs Etap makes for a very, very clean and classy build. eTAP is to bulky for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I think it depends on the frame/fork. If the frame and fork are made for flat mount disc then wait and go DA or Sram when they come out in the spring/summer. If it's a post mount frame build it with current 785.

DJT21

by DJT21

Wait till campag release their disc brakes. The Shimano hoods are horrible.

fogman

by fogman

I am waiting for:
1. The UCI disc brake trial results,
2. The release of Campagnolo hydraulic disc brakes and,
3. Some sort of axle standard
before I would consider a disc brake bicycle build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

L3X

by L3X

madcow wrote:I think it depends on the frame/fork. If the frame and fork are made for flat mount disc then wait and go DA or Sram when they come out in the spring/summer. If it's a post mount frame build it with current 785.

This actually makes a lot of sense, thanks for the suggestion!

MoPho

by MoPho

madcow wrote:I think it depends on the frame/fork. If the frame and fork are made for flat mount disc then wait and go DA or Sram when they come out in the spring/summer. If it's a post mount frame build it with current 785.

Why, you can get the RS805 flat mount calipers now?

Painting the silver cover on the 785 levers black helps the looks of them a lot too

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Shimano made splash of flat mount ~ 18 months ago, however many manufacturers haven't rolled out disc frames with flat mount even in 2017 models. Not to mention lack of thru-axle. Front thru-axle and rear QR is half-ass from my perspective. Hello Cannondale, I'm talking to you! Post-mount is 4 year old technology. Let's hope in 2018, QR and post-mount will be phased out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

L3X

by L3X

Agree, though luckily the frame I have in mind is axles + flatmount. I was pretty reluctant to wait for the standards to be decided, but pretty sure it will these.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

there are axle standards. 100x12mm or 100x15mm or Q/r for the front. Miche DT Swiss, hope e.t.c hubs are all interchangeable with ese.

Rear is Q/R or 142x12mm and again hubs are interchangeable. So really what the problem unless you want to use a wheel that is not adaptable in which dont use that wheel!

Kenesis do flat mount bikes. I think there are a number out there.

100x12mm/142x12mm and flat mount are going to be the standards. Also R795 STI's can be paired with flat mount caliper RS805 I think so again no problem.

wingguy

by wingguy

L3X wrote:Let's say you want to build up a disc brake bike, what of the following options would you go for?

Option 2 - Build it with 9170 DA DI2 shifters:
- Price
- Not available yet

If it's for a nice, main bike then my money would be here. Loads lighter than current top level shifters and calipers, practically the same size as the rim brake hoods, and just better brakes than current Sram HRD (IMO). And if you wait for next gen Ultegra, then you'll be waiting for a year.

And I'd agree that standards are going to crystalize around 12mm front and rear and flat mount. (And I hope Cannondale redo the back end of the Evo disc next year to get rid of that stupid qr!)

L3X

by L3X

Does anyone have any insights with regards to delivery dates of DA DI2 disc? I've been asking around a bit but nobody seems to have gotten a date from Shimano.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

agree with comments above: if it's a special frameset I would wait for eTap disc, otherwise build it now with Di2

Treelegs

by Treelegs

Felt seems to have the best out of the box package at the moment with their FR2.

Does anyone have experience with Cervelo's R3D or C series yet? (And soon the S3D)

I e read too many conflicting storiess of going with the unique offset chain line/crank or just going mainstream standard offset.

It seems all designs (brands) currently have a major drawback and you just pick your poison.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

The hub/wheel thing is a non-issue, IMO.

Any quality hub worth consideration is easily adaptable from 9mm TB to 12mm TA to 15mm TA.

Same with the rear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com