SRAM Centerlock Rotor Lock Ring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Samklee15

by Samklee15

Hey Guys ,

Trying to build up a Vias Disc but I'm having some major issues involving the wheels and discs. Long story short (ish) I bought a set of Enve 5.6 discs and SRAM Centerline 6 bolt rotors. Went to put the bike together and low and behold the hubs are actually designed for a centerlock rotor. Called it quits the night and ordered some centerlock rotors. My issue is I just opened the centerlock rotors but they didn't come with the actual lock nut to hold the rotor on the wheel. My question is were the wheels or rotors supposed to come with the lock nuts? If not where is the easiest place to buy a set? I can't even find SRAM Rotor luck nuts online.

Thanks

Ekorre

by Ekorre

Both of my sets have come with the hubs or wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samklee15

by Samklee15

Ekorre wrote:Both of my sets have come with the hubs or wheelset.

Okay, Thanks for the info. Just emailed Enve and asked if they were supposed to be included with the wheelset. Strange they sell you centerlock specific wheels but don't include the lock nut.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Pretty much any bike shop will have some these days. I know Shimano have two different lockrings, the one that is tightened with a cassette lockring tool is only compatible with QR hubs if I recall so if you have thru-axle hubs, just make sure you get the right ones... I don't know if this applies to DT Swiss, SRAM or other lockrings...

F45

by F45

Whenever I buy a centerlock rotor, a lock ring comes with it.

hmai18

by hmai18

Dan Gerous wrote:I know Shimano have two different lockrings, the one that is tightened with a cassette lockring tool is only compatible with QR hubs if I recall so if you have thru-axle hubs, just make sure you get the right ones... I don't know if this applies to DT Swiss, SRAM or other lockrings...

You can always just pop off the end cap on the hub to get the lockring tool to seat properly. It's not like you're taking the rotor on/off all that frequently.

grover

by grover

I've never actually seen a SRAM branded centrelock rotor lockring. I suspect they see it as a Shimano standard and don't really want to invest in it. With mine I've only ever used Shimano or DT Swiss. I suggest getting the ones that use a hollowtech2 bottom bracket tool rather than a cassette tool as they are compatible more easily with thru axles.

http://www.ebay.com/p/Shimano-SM-HB20-1 ... 1728733482

or

https://www.bike24.com/p2136892.html

or

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-HB20-1 ... r-Lockring

Samklee15

by Samklee15

Enve ended up responding saying they would send some out to me for free. Thanks for all the info though guys!

siovene

by siovene

grover wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:25 am
I've never actually seen a SRAM branded centrelock rotor lockring. I suspect they see it as a Shimano standard and don't really want to invest in it. With mine I've only ever used Shimano or DT Swiss. I suggest getting the ones that use a hollowtech2 bottom bracket tool rather than a cassette tool as they are compatible more easily with thru axles.
Hi, currently I have Dura-Ace rotors on Roval wheels, with a Shimano lockring that uses a cassette tool for tightening.

Since I have a SRAM groupset, I want to change to SRAM centerlock rotors. Do you know if my current lockrings will work? And if not, will the ones that you linked work with my wheels?

Thanks!

dcorn

by dcorn

Yes, they will work fine. I recently swapped out Ultegra rotors on a full Ultegra groupset to Sram Centerline X rotors and used the existing lockring. Mine use the cassette tool thankfully because I don't have and won't ever have a BB tool.

I don't recall the rotors coming with a lockring in the package.

kode54

by kode54

Shimano makes two different lockrings. One that is similar to the DT Swiss and another that is similar to the cassette lockring. Both will work with the rear unless you have Chris King CL hubs where you have to use the larger one.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TimW

by TimW

Just some random input. I recently swapped the wheels on my winter BMC RM03 from the stock Novatech to some Hunt wheels.

I could not use the Hunt rotor lockrings as they fouled the frame. Shimano lockrings fitted perfectly fine.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

yinya

by yinya

Do lock rings usually come with disc wheels (dt swiss cr1600)? Or shimano rotors? Or it’s an extra I should put on my build/shopping list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

yinya wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:38 pm
Do lock rings usually come with disc wheels (dt swiss cr1600)? Or shimano rotors? Or it’s an extra I should put on my build/shopping list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They come with Shimano rotors and usually don’t come with disc wheels. Some wheelbuilders will throw them in for free or a small fee.

Some hubs aren’t compatible with internal spline “cassette” style lockrings due to axle/endcap diameter. Some road forks aren’t compatible with externally notched 15/20mm TA lockrings...no clearance.

If you buy SRAM rotors, they do not come with lockrings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Constant source of aggravation for me. I am a fan of SRAM, but man this has pissed me off for quite some time. They don't have them, don't sell them, don't include them. Shimano sends lockrings with every rotor they sell. Most aftermarket wheels and hubs do not come with them. So, it needs to be remembered at the shop that we either need to have plenty Shimano ones in stock, or include Shimano ones in the build list when building a Sram bike. They won't even address the issue when you speak to them. They won't simply say "You have to use Shimano or KCNC"or some shit cause that is giving business to the competition. They won't tell the truth and say "we don't make them nor have any of any kind".......they just say "they are not included". I have had a few customers upset that their lockrings are branded Shimano on a Sram bike.
Never cheer before you know who is winning