11-29 vs 12-29 SuperRecord Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I certainly would go with the 11t for only one reason. That is to beat my team mate on the downhill portion of our climb. He's got a higher leg speed and usually beats me to the line cause I run out of rpm.

If you ride normal, I would take the 12t. It's always nicer to have the extra ratio to make majority of the ride a bit better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

RussellS wrote:12-29 cassette. Unless your name is Mark Cavendish, you are not going to turn over a 52x11 gear unless you are falling off a cliff.

Guess there's a lot of cliff like descents where I live then!

At 90 rpm, 52x11 equals 33.5 mph. 52x12 at 90 rpm equals 30.7 mph. How often do you ride 33.5 mph? A hill has to be very long and/or steep to get up to 33.5 mph.

Literally every single ride. See above! :D

Actually, if you jumped off a cliff, you would not reach 33.5 mph before you went splat at the bottom. Unless the cliff is the Grand Canyon.

Actually if you ignore air resistance you will go splat at 33.5mph if you fall off a 37 1/2 ft cliff. With air resistance, lets say 40-some feet. I've never been to the Grand Canyon, how big is it? :lol:

c50jim

by c50jim

I'd assume that the lifetime of a Super Record cassette isn't going to be anywhere near 12,000 km. My only SP cassette is probably in the 2,000 km range, my Record maybe 3,000 km whereas my oldest 11 speed Chorus cassettes are well past 5,000 km and still have plenty of life. In the 10 speed era, I used to get something like 7-8,000 km out of a Record cassette which had several ti cogs, just like the 11 speed SR.

3Pio

by 3Pio

c50jim wrote:I'd assume that the lifetime of a Super Record cassette isn't going to be anywhere near 12,000 km. My only SP cassette is probably in the 2,000 km range, my Record maybe 3,000 km whereas my oldest 11 speed Chorus cassettes are well past 5,000 km and still have plenty of life. In the 10 speed era, I used to get something like 7-8,000 km out of a Record cassette which had several ti cogs, just like the 11 speed SR.

That's a bit strange.. My friend have 11sp 12-29 Record cassette, until now have it about 5000 km, and still plenty of life there.. Hi changed his first chain in about 2000 km, now he is on second.. We also find out that if u put ur deralieiur with bigger tension using H or G screw on the deralieur, the shifting is faster, but less chain life (i guess less cassette life as well).

c50jim

by c50jim

Sorry for poor wording of my comment. I'm still using both my SR and Record 11 cassettes. I just don't have enough miles on them to tell how long they will last whereas I'm getting a good picture that I will get 10,000 km+ from the Chorus cassettes. My only real comparison was the Record 10 mileage.

On chains, I change Campy chains at ~5,000 km and got about three chains worth of life from Chorus 10 cassettes and expect the same from Chorus 11. I try not to ride in rain and no longer ride in winter so my mileage is almost all low wear.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

The choice of Ti vs Chorus is yours (I chose Chorus).

I recommend the 12-29. I think you will use the 16 more than the 11. But, I acknowledge that on a course where you would need a 29, you could probably use an 11.

baldy

by baldy

To me if you need a 29 sprocket I can't see why you would need an 11unless you live in an extremely hilly area as you may lack the power to use it- sorry. As far as wear goes I have 2000k + on my SR with little wear on the larger sprockets as I don't need then that often (21, 23, 25). I live in Scotland so have hills. Just nothing long enough to need to use them a lot. I have both Chorus and SR cassettes and the SR is just better. If you can afford it buy it, irrespective of price.

Oswald

by Oswald

The titanium cogs on a Dura Ace wear a lot faster then the cogs on my Ultegra cassettes. So I guess titanium cogs on Super Record will go very fast too.

baldy

by baldy

Oswald wrote:The titanium cogs on a Dura Ace wear a lot faster then the cogs on my Ultegra cassettes. So I guess titanium cogs on Super Record will go very fast too.

They don't really seem that bad to me, but I never seem to have a real problem with cassette wear as I tend to cycle them.

RussellS

by RussellS

baldy wrote:I have both Chorus and SR cassettes and the SR is just better. If you can afford it buy it, irrespective of price.

I would assume Campagnolo uses the exact same process to form the Chorus and Super Record cassette cogs. Only difference being the final 5-6 cogs on SR are titanium instead of steel on the Chorus. So I wonder if the SR really does shift better or the exact same as Chorus.

3Pio

by 3Pio

baldy wrote:To me if you need a 29 sprocket I can't see why you would need an 11unless you live in an extremely hilly area as you may lack the power to use it- sorry. As far as wear goes I have 2000k + on my SR with little wear on the larger sprockets as I don't need then that often (21, 23, 25). I live in Scotland so have hills. Just nothing long enough to need to use them a lot. I have both Chorus and SR cassettes and the SR is just better. If you can afford it buy it, irrespective of price.

I live in a Hilly area, and need 29 with my semi compact crankset :)

But also there is variety of terrain, so often i have like 1-2% downhill where im using 11T. Now im riding 11-29, but next one will be 12-29, since seem that i need more 16T vs 11T :) (first time i analyze the gearing while i ride).

baldy

by baldy

3Pio wrote:
baldy wrote:To me if you need a 29 sprocket I can't see why you would need an 11unless you live in an extremely hilly area as you may lack the power to use it- sorry. As far as wear goes I have 2000k + on my SR with little wear on the larger sprockets as I don't need then that often (21, 23, 25). I live in Scotland so have hills. Just nothing long enough to need to use them a lot. I have both Chorus and SR cassettes and the SR is just better. If you can afford it buy it, irrespective of price.

But also there is variety of terrain, so often i have like 1-2% downhill where im using 11T. Now im riding 11-29, but next one will be 12-29, since i need more 16T vs 11T :)

So do I but only need 39/25 and that even rarely- hills not mountains :D . I still think the SR is a smoother changing cassette if you can afford it.! And I certainly agree about the 16!

3Pio

by 3Pio

baldy wrote:
3Pio wrote:

But also there is variety of terrain, so often i have like 1-2% downhill where im using 11T. Now im riding 11-29, but next one will be 12-29, since i need more 16T vs 11T :)

So do I but only need 39/25 and that even rarely- hills not mountains :D . I still think the SR is a smoother changing cassette if you can afford it.! And I certainly agree about the 16!

Sorry.. There is mountains around me :) Not just hills. Since i order Bora One 35 tubs yesterday, probably i'll order SR 12-29 cassette, so i'll put that cassette on the Boras, and keep the Chorus cassette on Shamals..

BTW, if i have 12-29 and 11-29 in same time (different wheelseet as i explained). Does my chain lenght will let me riding different cassetes on same chain?

baldy

by baldy

Will be OK if they all have a 29 sprocket.

AJS914

by AJS914

if you need a 29 sprocket

A few years ago I ditched the 25s and 27s in favor of 12-29 cassettes all around. I'm doing way better on climbs if I can spin at 90+ rpms.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com