AX Vial evo D headset question/issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marcelfacd

by marcelfacd

Hi all,

I'm the fresh owner of a vail evo D. Came in today and now doing the first bits of assembly.

One thing that i would like to know from owners....
It came (contrary to what I read on different posts) with it's headset- and BBbearings not installed.
The BB bearings are no problem, I have a press and by pressing them in flush to the frame theyre OK and that went easy.

On the other hand... I am in doubt about the headset bearings.
The upper bearing stays about a mm above the frame (maybe OK but i would like to get confirmation on that) But what's bothering me most is the lower bearing.....I pressed it in flush to the frame but obviously it has to go in deeper than that because now there is a space of almost 3mm between frame and fork.

My question, how deep in must I force the bearing (beyond flush) and how should i do it best (not used to pressing straight on the bearing)

All tips (especially those who have experience with the vial) are welcome.
Thnx!

kode54

by kode54

my headset pressed in. 1.5mm space. could it be that the bearing is reversed?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marcelfacd

by marcelfacd

No its not reversed

eric01

by eric01

Pictures might help? Interesting because mine came with all of the bearings pressed in
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

kode54

by kode54

eric01 wrote:Pictures might help? Interesting because mine came with all of the bearings pressed in

i would, but currently, my AX Vial Evo is back at AX in Germany. i broke my drop out. looks worse than what it is...as Nils emailed me. $300 euros to replace, align and repaint. plus, i added a few more bits to replace all pressed in bearings.
sent only frame and fork, so i have to rebuild it when i get it back. the bike really needed it...as the bearings were shot. should be good as new when it returns.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

marcelfacd

by marcelfacd

eric01 wrote:Pictures might help? Interesting because mine came with all of the bearings pressed in

Mine came with all parts in a plastic bag ;-/. Had to press all the bearings in myself, no problem there but with direct press fit I like to be very sure about everything.
Eventually solved it by pressing in the bearing by using an exact sized cup which only pressed on de outer edge (did'n want to press on the bearings itself)
And indeed the complete bearing has to sink in about 3-4mm.
The lower bearing sits quite tight so be aware.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AUOC1OC6

by AUOC1OC6

My upper headset bearing also sit approx. 1mm clear of the head tube. It is normal. I did not have any play in the steerer.

See page 7 of my build thread below:-
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599&hilit=My+vial+evo+D+build&start=90
AUOC1OC6
--------------------
AX Lightness Vial Evo D http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599
Corima Puma
Giant MCR 2 (retired)
Trek Y Glide Deluxe MTB