Lowest temperature for storage of carbon bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

Meanwhile the winter is here :evil: The temperature at night are usually below 0°C. Currently it is during the day -5°C (23°F) and at night -10°C (14°F).

My bikes are stored in the garage and I am wondering what is the lowest temperature for the storage of carbon bikes? By this I mean not only for the carbon material itself but also for the glue used for the carbon frame etc....

What do the manufacturers recommend ?

mattr

by mattr

Once it's cured its pretty much irrelevant what temp you store the frame at.
Short of pouring liquid nitrogen all over it, that might get you into problems.
Anywhere that people can live will be fine for CF.

(Before the CF is cured, is a different matter, but we aren't talking about that)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

Airplanes use lots of carbon and it's quite common you see -60F at altitude.... I wouldn't worry about it
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Delorre

by Delorre

TonyM wrote:Hi,

Meanwhile the winter is here :evil: The temperature at night are usually below 0°C. Currently it is during the day -5°C (23°F) and at night -10°C (14°F).

My bikes are stored in the garage and I am wondering what is the lowest temperature for the storage of carbon bikes? By this I mean not only for the carbon material itself but also for the glue used for the carbon frame etc....

What do the manufacturers recommend ?

Don't worry about that. You will however see that all the moving parts containing grease (hubs, BB, headset) will become a lot more draggy at those low temps. Once out on the road, the moving parts will more or less behave back to normal.

c50jim

by c50jim

I've had my daily rider C40 in the garage for several years. It's something like -20C out there now and has been like that for several days. There are various other carbon bikes out there most winters as well. I haven't had any problems, although I guess I wouldn't see any deterioration of the carbon.

Svetty

by Svetty

The enduring myth about the fragility of carbon bikes lives on!

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Carbon is very susceptible to changes in temperature, with temperature control being an important consideration in storage. If the carbon is exposed to too high a temperature (in excess of 77 °F (25 °C)) for long periods of time, it may be spoiled or become "cooked". The exact length of time that carbon is at risk of exposure to high temperatures will vary depending on the carbon, with some carbons being able to sustain exposure to high temperatures more easily than other, more delicate fibers. If the carbon is exposed to temperatures that are too cold, the fibers can freeze and expand. Dramatic temperature swings (such as repeated transferring a carbon fiber bikes from a warm room to a cool refrigerator) can also cause adverse chemical reactions in the carbon that may lead to a variety of carbon fiber faults. Most experts, such as Jancis Robinson, recommend that carbon bikes be kept at constant temperatures between 50 and 59 °F (10 and 15 °C).[2] Tom Stevenson speculates that 52 °F (11 °C) may be the most ideal temperature for storage and aging.

Source: Wikipedia / replace carbon with "wine" and you are set :D

mattr

by mattr

You've got too much time or your hands :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com