Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:32 am 

I have a PF30 frameset and a CAAD10 frameset.
I want to put two Cannondale Hollowgram SL (older models 2012-2015) cranksets on both.
The PF30 frame is wider than the Cannondale BB30.
Is the standard Hollowgram road spindle ok with the wider PF30 frame ?

For the same frames, I had two Sram BB30 cranksets, and the Sram Red I bought, originally to fit on the PF30 frame, had to be fit on the CAAD, because it was too tight, even without any spacer, on the PF30 frame.

Louis :)

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:32 am 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:48 am 

PF30 BB shells are 68 mm wide, just like BB30.

Perhaps you have a BB 386 frame? That would be wider.

What's with your avatar by the way? Is that LA? Or are you a doppelganger?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:33 am 

Location: Physically in Montréal, but my mind is in the Pyrénées
If your PF30 is 68mm wide, same spindle and spacers as the BB30 setup on the CAAD10... But, with PF30, the old spider lockring which was more or less flat might need to be replaced with the more recent lockring with the ends of the teeth beveled a bit toward the end so it doesn't rub against the PF30 cups.

Old one:

New PF30 compatible one:

If your PF30 is actually PF30a like the new Cannondale Evos, you can't use the 104mm spindle with a non-driveside shoulder. You could use the newer 109 shoulderless spindle with the appropriate spacers but know that if you follow the 109mm BB instruction with older arms made for the 104mm spindle, you'll then have your stance offset and a 5mm wider q-factor. The drive-side arms have the same measures and geometry but the cranksets made for the longer spindle have a different non-driveside arm that has 5mm less lateral offset so the 5mm longer spindle doesn't widen the q-factor... You can either play with spacers (less non-driveside, more driveside) but then the chainline might suffer. You could also move the non-driveside cleat so your actual feet are centered. Or, find just a non-driveside arm made for the new spindle (so SISL2 or 3D forged SI)...

They changed to these new spindles and changed the non-driveside arm geometry when they introduced BB30a so they could then make the same cranks and spindles work on all their framesets, just by switching a non-driveside spacer depending if the frame has a 68mm or the asymetric 73mm wide BB...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:23 am 

Hey Thanks Dan, very useful info here.
I'll definitely check on the exact width ( with my digital vernier) of the PF30 ( Norco tactic SL ) frame with the Sram PF30 BB pressed in ( (outside to outside) Though I'll ditch this crap and change for something better)...
And use your precious info before shopping for the next C'Dale Hollowgram crank deal to come by. Especially since I'll send the left crank arm to 4iiii Precision to install a left crankarm powermeter on :) ...

@julio: re. avatar= long story - short : DC41, WW member here about 10 yrs ago offered to make some avatars to the members. I never changed mine, don't even know how ...I'm only a cook after all ;) ...

Louis :)