Cannondale cockpit weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

evan326

by evan326

Ok, so my caad 12 came with c3 componentry. From what I've read the way they name their parts, cannondale's' c4 is the lowest tier/heaviest, and c1 is their highest tier/lightest. After getting a fit done I wanted to try some 44mm bars instead of 42. Found some on ebay and also a c1 stem so I grabbed them both for pretty cheap. Unfortunately the bars were actually 42mm, not 44 :evil: They still have a shorter reach and drop so I'll keep them. The bars weighed in at 240g even, which is about what I've seen online and a nice difference compared to the listed 320g for the c3 bars I currently have. My problem is the stem. My c3 stem came in at 112.3g including bolts, my c1 is 126.5g including bolts. Both are listed at 100mm, but the c3 is more like 95mm. Is it just the added stiffness of the c1? Because I can flex the c1 bars in my hands more easily than my c3 bars.
Normally I wouldn't be complaining about this kind of thing, but with this being weightweenies I felt it would be ok.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I wouldn't be too stressed about those weights. High-end stems weigh around 100-115g and you can get handlebars a bit under 200g, but you would have payed around $300-500 for the full cockpit. It's interesting that the c1 stem is heavier than the c3, but probably it looks better and has higher quality / stiffness etc.

kode54

by kode54

yeah...and the finish is probably better as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Clean39T

by Clean39T

The C1 stem should have Ti bolts - see if they are lighter than the C3 bolts and you may end up even better off..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Also, acetone (nail polish remover from Target) gets rid of the white Cannondale logos on the stem while leaving that very nice looking raised black logo running down the top..

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Clean39T wrote:Also, acetone (nail polish remover from Target) gets rid of the white Cannondale logos on the stem while leaving that very nice looking raised black logo running down the top..

Like mine! :D

The stems changed over the years, maybe the heavier C1 you have is an older one? The new ones like mine are not bad. I didn't weigh mine but a friend did and it was very close to 100gr for a 100mm.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Dan Gerous wrote:
Clean39T wrote:Also, acetone (nail polish remover from Target) gets rid of the white Cannondale logos on the stem while leaving that very nice looking raised black logo running down the top..

Like mine! :D

The stems changed over the years, maybe the heavier C1 you have is an older one? The new ones like mine are not bad. I didn't weigh mine but a friend did and it was very close to 100gr for a 100mm.

Bingo! If only they made 'em in 120mm or 130mm...or maybe they do and I just can't find it...

evan326

by evan326

I figured it may be an older one. It feels like the thickness of the stem is a bit more, either for stiffness, or because it's an older c1. My c3 is from my 2016 caad 12, I have no idea how old this c1 is. They're only rare finds on ebay now. I contacted cannondale and they told me they aren't manufacturing them for individual sale anymore.
Judging by the weight, and the amount of rust on each of the bolts, the stem came with steel bolts.

Now here is the real problem. I got this stem at 100mm thinking it would be stiffer and/or lighter than my stock c3. I also picked up a kalloy uno 110mm to see if I would need it to offset the reach of my new bars. The c3 I have are 90mm and my new c1 are 76mm for the reach. Should I bother looking for another c1 from ebay if the 110mm feels better? The kalloy uno 110mm is 113.3g with and 92.4g without bolts. I'm just not sure how much to trust and ebay brand stem. I would be upset to spend money on another used stem that's heavier than what I already have. Even if these are each about $25, I could buy at least three pizzas with that.
Dan Gerous: do you know what year yours is? Mine definitely looks different.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

evan326 wrote:Dan Gerous: do you know what year yours is? Mine definitely looks different.

Mine is a 2017... but I think that design was introduced for model year 2016, not 100% sure.

Maybe there are C1 and C1 Ultralight, two different models? Mine was listed as C1 Ultralight 2014 alloy... Your's looks like these, 7050 alloy, no Ultralight mention...

evan326

by evan326

I'm pretty sure mine is 7050.
The only place I can find them new is cannondaleexperts, but they only have 100mm, and list it as 7050 though it's new. :noidea:

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Well, they're new as in not used... but they could be a few years old unsold stems.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I used titanium blots on my C3 stem and it weight 99g, it's a 100mm stem.
The bars are a fairly standard weight but I was stunned by the stem. It weighs less than my Deda Superlegero.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

Yea, makes you wonder where the line is between light-performance and light-cheap?