Negative GSL tuned brakes - use of padholder spacers and release lever

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slimtim

by Slimtim

Hello

I am finally getting round to installing my GSL brakes. They are an older model I think as the brake cable has to go through a hole in the cam arm and is clamped with a bolt rather than being clamped with a bolt and washer as more typically happens - at least as far as I can see.

I am using some wheels with 23c tyres and old school Open Pro-type rims (i.e. not wide). The brake pads are Campagnolo Super Record. There is a slightly domed aluminium spacer, approx 1mm thick, between the brake shoe (that holds the pad) and the brake arm.

My issue is that unless I have what looks like the release lever on the brake in the open position, I can't really fit the brakes so that there is any clearance to the rim. To give you an idea, I wasn't able to close the release lever to the down position as the brake pads would meet the rim so making any further closure impossible.

I've looked at some install videos and it seems that there should be more clearance.

Should I remove the domed aluminium spacers so that the brake pads are effectively positioned further from the wheel rim?

Hopefully this is clear enough? It feels like I need to get this set up millimetre perfect or it is useless (and that can't be the case!).

Thanks in advance for any help.

KC

by KC

Save the washers in case you're ever going back to skinny wheels. They have a good video on installation you should watch. Note if you're still having width issues then use the shallow depth brake holders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slimtim

by Slimtim

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give your suggestions a try.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Anyone have experience using micro cam upgrade kit with GSL Tuned?
http://caw-designs.com/?product=micro-cam-upgrade-kit

I am using Enve 6.7 wheels (front 26mm, rear 24mm width) and bought second wheelset with 22,4mm width rim. Is it really only a few turns of set screw and no need adjust brakepads after it? Are these things actually working in real life? Description is only talking about 6mm stance, probably it is adjustable to 1-6mm?
Now I need play with washers and take like 15min to change wheels... EE brakes would be a better choice but bought these for 150€ (brand new) and I think after you adjust them property they work fine.

KC

by KC

I have three sets of the Micros. Love them. I have tons of various wheels and they will swap with just a 2mm hex screw. Easy as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk