Caad 9 fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Simmo72

by Simmo72

Hi all

Having become a huge fan of my supersix evo, I've just picked up a NOS Caad9 frame, but without a fork, I need guidance on what to get.

I think (?) these are 1 1/8 using a 45/45 standard campag headset fit, if this is right then choice shouldn't be an issue, I assume also stick to a 45 rake

Not wanting to spend a fortune as its more a winter bike but I do need a 300mm length steerer as its a 63cm frame, with 220mm headtube and I need 30mm of spacers as I'm a tall bag of spuds.

Keen to keep to all carbon, not a fan of alloy steerers following a messy failure once.

Planet x pro carbon forks are a bargain and from past experience pretty good but might not suit.

cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Can of worms ... difficult to get a match between crown diameter of fork and dia of head tube. Much easier to get a straight replacement from a Cannondale dealer, if they are indeed available.

RussellS

by RussellS

I own a Cannondale CAAD9 frame and fork. It has an FSA headset. So I doubt the headset is anything fancy, complicated, or non routine. I'd say take the frame to a local good bike shop and they will definitely have a headset to fit. Or buy an assortment of headsets online and one of them will work too. Uses the enclosed, internal bearings. My fork is all carbon except the dropouts. Says "Premium" on the side. I'd say just try to find a standard, NOS New Old Stock, Cannondale fork somewhere. Pretty sure Cannondale used the same forks on all their CAAD frames for years and years. I have a CAAD7 frame and fork with a fork with aluminum steerer.

Zak

by Zak

Oh man, I have a new Caad 9 fork laying around that was mounted on my size 52 caad9 when I got it. I replaced it instantly with a Ritchey WCS fork. But the length of the steerer is not 30 cm, so I guess no good for you :cry:

RussellS

by RussellS

Zak wrote:Oh man, I have a new Caad 9 fork laying around that was mounted on my size 52 caad9 when I got it. I replaced it instantly with a Ritchey WCS fork.

Off topic. But why would you replace a perfectly good, functional fork with another fork that I presume also works OK? I guess the money burning a hole in my pocket expression is correct.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

I did the same thing, replacing my caad9 fork with a Ritchey WCS. Reason was the Ritchey fork is about 130 grams lighter (and I got a good deal). This is weight weenies after all.

KC

by KC

I have several caads. They all have Easton ec90 slx's. any good quality 1-1/8" fork will do. It's not rocket science. The best match would be a c'dale premium + full carbon but those will be hard to find by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kman

by kman

I used an ENVE 1.0 on my CAAD9, worked a treat. I assume the ENVE 2.0 would also be a good choice.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

CamW

by CamW

I use an ENVE 1.0 50mm Rake on my size 48cm. For the size frame you have an ENVE 2.0 with 45mm rake would be much more suitable. The 43mm rake version would probably also be fine.

nickf

by nickf

On my caad9 54cm I used a enve 1.0 for a few years. 45mm rake. Handling was spot on. Campy compatible headset 45x45.

Zak

by Zak

RussellS wrote:
Zak wrote:Oh man, I have a new Caad 9 fork laying around that was mounted on my size 52 caad9 when I got it. I replaced it instantly with a Ritchey WCS fork.

Off topic. But why would you replace a perfectly good, functional fork with another fork that I presume also works OK? I guess the money burning a hole in my pocket expression is correct.

Because the Caad 9 fork has aluminum steerer which makes it rather heavy.

nickf

by nickf

My 09 caad stock fork was full carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com