Chris King vs. tune hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spytech

by spytech

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:
spytech wrote:ok, now the big choice, sell my mavic ksyriums to buy the spada stilleto... now i must think :idea: what would you do Ye Olde Balde One? now i need some advice.

Well, you'd have a rear wheel then that weighs the same as your existing front :twisted:

I prefer the Stiletto wheels personally, but that's my opinion. I do own a set, and it's now over a year since I owned a set of Ksyriums, which I sold pretty quickly, I didn't like them and they were boat anchors. :evil:

haha boat anchors...lol one more thing, on the ksyriums sl's are their spokes heavier than regular spokes? and are they stronger, i have also thought about that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:
Ye Olde Balde One wrote:
spytech wrote:ok, now the big choice, sell my mavic ksyriums to buy the spada stilleto... now i must think :idea: what would you do Ye Olde Balde One? now i need some advice.

Well, you'd have a rear wheel then that weighs the same as your existing front :twisted:

I prefer the Stiletto wheels personally, but that's my opinion. I do own a set, and it's now over a year since I owned a set of Ksyriums, which I sold pretty quickly, I didn't like them and they were boat anchors. :evil:

haha boat anchors...lol one more thing, on the ksyriums sl's are their spokes heavier than regular spokes? and are they stronger, i have also thought about that.

I don't know, I never weighed them.

I see no reason why they would be stronger in tension than a set of CX-Ray spokes, Jobst Brandt says they aren't as strong as regular double butted spokes.
Ride lightly!

Fe

by Fe

hmmm...

Back on topic :?

I've ridden both the chris king and tune hubs for some years (still got them). Ditched the CK hubs and now my girlfriend has them in her bike (oh no, the bike she rides is also mine... :wink: ) I'm not satisfied with the CK hubs, they held up fine for about a year, but now they have some play in them. Also you have to clean them inside on a very regular basis.

The tune hubs however are the sweetest hubs I have ever had, very smooth bearings which can take a serious beating! No problems with water or mud (I have them in my MTB). I have them for 2 years now and they've seen quite a lot of muddy races.

So I would say: go for the tune hubs, also cheaper than the Kings!

Eric W.

by Eric W.

Thanx Bubalou and FE for the info and for coming back on topic. 20k on the Kings sounds pretty reliable. Fe, actually the first time I heard complaints about the Kings but good to hear where their possible weaknesses lie. My concerns are reliabilty AND weight. I had even looked at the Phil Woods but man these are heavy. Though I read on another forum of some guys who use the same set of PW hubs since the late 1970s !!! FE which tune hubs do you use? 200, 180 or 160?

doozer

by doozer

I've found that greasing the pawls in the freehub can reduce the noise quite considerably. i did this to a campag chorus rear hub and now it is very quiet.

i've just bought a pair of FRM Feather and SL hubs to be built up on Ambrosio crono rims and cx ray spokes. The FRM rear hub sounds a little noisey too. I'm going to take off the hub body and see what's going on and if i can quiet it down like the campag. I'm not sure if you're meant to grease inside the freehub. however, I've raced on the chorus rear hub for 2 seasons now and no porblems. I think it was filled with pretty weak grease to start with.

doozer
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

Multebear

by Multebear

gunsin7 wrote:Chris King looks better.

You've just awoken a topic from the stoneage... Just so you know....