upgrade brake track rims to disc?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nohands

by nohands

I have a set of Enve Classic 45s with a brake track lying around my house gathering dust. I'm curious if I could buy disc compatible hubs(front & rear) and upgrade the wheels to disc? is it doable or am I overlooking something?

Thx.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Generally speaking, while you don't need the rim brake track for discs, the lacing pattern is different (can't do radial for example) and there are more spokes and the area where the spoke nipples bed in the rim needs to be beefed up for the added stresses of disc braking transferring the forces up from the hub to the rim. Some rims are ok, some not. I'd call Enve and see what they say is ok to do with the rims you have.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Bare minimum spoke count for discs: 24 front and 28 rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

L3X

by L3X

Zipp & Enve both build all their disc wheels in 24/24, so looks like thats not the bare minimum.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i thought the industries first attempts at disc ready wheels were essentially modified and rebranded caliper wheels
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

nohands

by nohands

I received a reply back from Enve.
There is a growing interest for deeper sectioned wheels with a disc brake option. In addition to our SES 3.4 Disc wheel, we have tested our Classic wheels for this application. After testing we have approved our Classic 25, Classic 45, and Classic 65 rims in the 28 hole option with a 3X lacing pattern for this application. This hole count and lacing pattern are necessary to maintain lateral and torsional stiffness under forces exerted by disc brakes.

https://enve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202925155-Road-Disc-Wheels-

Mine are not 28 hole sadly. :(

wowamj

by wowamj

I will choose disc. It is quickly stop and it is able to ride during rainning

jlok

by jlok

I could have one bike only. it has to be disc brake as I ride it sunshine or rain, and I never worried brake fade (at least for the terrain here in my area). horses for courses.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

mpulsiv wrote:Bare minimum spoke count for discs: 24 front and 28 rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually its 24/24.. you basically wont find a road disk front hub under 24.. but for a light rider or mostly road use 24/24 is fine

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

wowamj wrote:I will choose disc. It is quickly stop and it is able to ride during rainning

A reason to revive 10 months old thread with such an informative reply.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

:lol:

j_gantzer
in the industry

by j_gantzer

DT makes 350 centerlock hubs in 20h front.

I used them to relace my 3.4 tubulars, they have held up great.

joejack951

by joejack951

I'll believe that disc wheels need 24/28 spokes minimum and require special rims when manufacturers start making front and rear rims for road bikes. Until then, I see no reason why any rim that you'd use on the rear of your bike (where it is subject to very similar if not harsher application of forces through the spokes as a front disc rim would be) isn't also suitable for use as a disc brake rim and the same goes for any 20 hole rear rim.

Bitex also makes some 20H front disc brake hubs, FWIW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com