Biknd Helium 4 Travel Case

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... does anyone have one of these. Just got one delivered last week. Prior to this I've been using a Crateworks box which is ready for retirement.

Anyway, it all seems good except for the inflation part. I'm not sure if I've got pump attachments for their older versions or what... but they've sent no less than 3 different conical plastic attachments that don't fit very well. If I do manage to get the bags inflated they deflate the instant the pump is removed and before I can get it plugged up. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I've indeed got an old pump version or if this is just the way it works... Any advice would be welcome. I've sent the company a couple emails last week but so far I've not heard back so thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience with these bags... Thanks.

Last edited by Calnago on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I have an earlier version and the valves are much bigger and of a different design. However it looks like you need to just open the outer cap. Notice that there are two caps. The inner one has a one way valve and should remain in there unless you are deflating it. Put it back and just keep the outer flap open.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks @goodboyr, but I've since heard from biknd. Turns out none of the attachments I have fit the hole except for the pump end itself. They get the pumps from a supplier so maybe they changed something and they weren't aware of it. But yes, the little one way valve needs to be inserted for inflating then removed for deflating. Biknd will be sending me what I need. I was going crazy trying to fit a round peg into a round hole. Ha. So glad my flight isn't in two hours.
But since you have one of these bags but earlier version, what has been your experience at international airports? Seems to me they'd want to be knowing what's in those inflatable bags and would deflate them? And of course, you can be assured they wouldn't inflate them again. Any comments in practical use?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've travelled extensively with it. Europe and USA (I'm in Canada). Never had a question like that. They run it through the giant x ray machine and if they want to look inside I unzip from top. They've never deflated bags or asked what's in them.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

PS. Here's my valve. Image

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Interesting. Thanks for the pic. Could I see a pic of the pump end that goes into the valve, one before insertion and one after? Slightly different valve design as well but principle seems to be the same.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

ImageImage

goodboyr

by goodboyr

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Looks like they've changed the design of the air bags in this version. I have the original version, and the air bags are between the wheels and the bike. I always wondered why the wheels were right against the outside of the case with minimal protection. I never had an issue, but this makes more sense. The airbags protect the bike and the wheels.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes. I noticed that too. Seems the airbags on the outside is better, then there's a padded flap that folds over between the wheels and the bike. Thanks for the pics. That's definitely the attachment I'm missing, or close to it. We'll see what they send me.

jever98

by jever98

I used to have a Helium and unfortunately had problems with it: the bags would deflate because the valves were too soft. Also, having the wheels on the outside of the padding was a poor design initially. They would get damaged very easily.

I switched to an Evoc bag and had better luck with it. I pad the bike with clothing (in plastic bags), and that seems to work pretty well. The wheel compartments are also somewhat protected by plastic piping.
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com