2013 Specialized Allez Headset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JamesGRC

by JamesGRC

Hi,
I've got a specialized allez sport 2013 which needs new headset bearings. It's an intergrated bearing threadless headset with a 1 1/8 inch steered. Don't really know which bearings I can get but someone told me that there are cups inside you need to knock out before you can put decent bearings in?
Thanks,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

androidavies

by androidavies

You may have an "integrated" headset which has steel cups pressed quite deep into the head tube, these form the bearing race for steel balls in a metal holder. It mimics what most folk would recognise as a traditional external headset, except it's hidden inside the head tube.

IF you have the above, then it's possible to drift the steel "cups" out, as you would with a more traditional headset. It's awkward, to say the least…. However, once they are out, you'll see that the frame is ready to accept a proper integrated headset, there are bearing seats for the upper and lower bearings already formed in the head tube.

Normally it's then possible to fit an 1 1/8, 36/45, Cane Creek or similar headset. The whole new headset should be used, including the crown race. It could also be an 1 1/8, 45/45, Campag headset fit….. One measurement is worth a thousand forum posts…..

If you are in the UK, then the steel inserts could well be seizing into the aluminium head tube, and it's a pig of a job to get them out, so be sure/confident of what you are doing when drifting them. It's useful to have a helper, or something to support the front of the frame…..

goodboyr

by goodboyr

They are cartridge bearings. See below.

JamesGRC

by JamesGRC

goodboyr wrote:They are cartridge bearings. See below.

Yep, seen that before but have no idea where to get them! Any ideas?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Bog standard 36 x 45 1 1/8" cane creek style bearing.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/fsa-bearing-th-873e-acb/rp-prod134043

androidavies

by androidavies

If I'm reading the spec line correctly, it suggests a 41.8mm diameter, 45/45 deg bearing in both upper and lower. That is the Campag dimension.

It's generally easier, and pretty much the same price wise, to buy a complete headset and just use the bearings from it.

I would expect a lot of bike shops to have stock of the headsets, but maybe not know what you're on about if you ask for a bearing by dimension.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

goodboyr wrote:Bog standard 36 x 45 1 1/8" cane creek style bearing.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/fsa-bearing-th-873e-acb/rp-prod134043

That bearing is 41.0mm dia and 6.5mm thick and not the correct one.

androidavies is correct. The OD is 41.8mm and the thickness is 8.0mm according to that chart.

A TH Industries TH-870 will fit (1-1/8" 45deg x 45 deg Campag compatible). FSA sell them under their own name and Ritchey do a Campag compatible as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Cane Creek headset finder for this bike says IS 41 which is what I said....weird.

https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk