san remo vs jersey and bibs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spectastic

by spectastic

castelli says they're seeing a 10W difference between their san remo speed suit over their form fitting jersey/bibs. I find that pretty hard to believe, considering the only difference between them is that there's a smooth junction between the jersey/bibs on the san remo.

my team is ordering kits, and I'll likely get the climbers jersey/bibs, instead of the san remo, for versatility. on the other hand, I'm curious how much performance I'm losing for not using the san remo.

kgt

by kgt

spectastic wrote:castelli says they're seeing a 10W difference between their san remo speed suit over their form fitting jersey/bibs. I find that pretty hard to believe

You are right not to believe it. No one needs more aero marketing BS...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

I love all my San Remo kit. It's very comfortable and has 2 pockets in the back. I'll take it any day over bibs and a jersey. But I understand that not everyone has the body for the form fitting kit.

wingguy

by wingguy

spectastic wrote:castelli says they're seeing a 10W difference between their san remo speed suit over their form fitting jersey/bibs. I find that pretty hard to believe, considering the only difference between them is that there's a smooth junction between the jersey/bibs on the san remo.

That's not the only difference. The important factor from an aero point of view is that there will be constant tension on the upper body part, preventing it from riding up and bunching up - which will happen to some degree to even the very best form fitting jerseys.

Is that going to be worth 10 watts? Who knows. But everyone I know who's used the San Remo or similar has raved about how comfy they are.

AJS914

by AJS914

Interestingly, I was watching the Usain Bolt documentary the other day and I was very surprised that their clothing was a little flappy. For the 100/200 meters, I thought it would have looked painted-on tight.

I'd bet 10 watts is a best and worst case scenario. It's like when Zipp says you save 45 seconds with their wheels. But that is between their rim and a worse case box section rim that nobody rides anymore and it's at 15 degree yaw (most riding is at 0-5 degrees).

Philbar72

by Philbar72

San remo is a great skinsuit for crits. in the Uk it doesn't get much use outside of that for me. its better than any combination of bibs/jersey I have, in the right conditions.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Fwiw tour magazine tested aero jerseys/shorts vs speed suits vs normal jerseys shorts in their august (I think) edition last year. The from memory San Remo was the fastest test and was something like 20-22w faster than standard jersey/shorts and I think still like 7 or 8w faster than the next fastest which I think was the 2015 Rapha speed suit.

At least the San Remo is fast in a wind tunnel. Whether or not you believe that translates into real world benefits is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

Tour magazine is very good at pushing towards aero OCDs.

refthimos

by refthimos

Our team is sponsored by Castelli and I have ridden in the San Remo exclusively for the past 4-5 years. I don't even own separate jerseys and bibs anymore. One thing I would note that is that the team custom speedsuits (not San Remos) are relatively old design and nothing at all like the current Body Paint 3.0 speedsuits. So if you are thinking of buying a team custom speedsuit, don't bother and just go with a San Remo. Or go for the Body Paint or something similarly advanced if you are doing TTs.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

mortirolo

by mortirolo

I have ridden in the San Remo because:

1. I hate straps.
OK, I use a Q36.5 Half Shorts. but I need a full zipp jersey too.
2. I hate too long zipper.
The zipper isn't elastic like fabrics, so it's usually (99%) too long on cycling position.
It's ugly, uncomfortable and non aero.

I use my old campagnolo and castelli (Body Paint) jerseys sometimes, but I don' buy new separate items anymore.
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

rorz

by rorz

Slightly off topic but how do you find your Castelli team kit? A few local teams use it but they all say the quality is not the same as the normal Castelli. One of them reckoned that the kit came out of a different factory as the fit and quality felt very different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

Castelli inline (the non team custom retail) items have a fairly wide range of price and quality and I think they have different offerings for different markets worldwide. So I think it really depends on what item you are comparing to.

As far as the custom team items go, I would say that the San Remo is great (this year they are using the 3.0 low collar style for custom orders, so this one is pretty much up to date) and then it's a bit of "you get what you pay for." The team jerseys and team bibs are pretty solid, not as technologically advanced (e.g. no laser cut fabrics, you have your old school seams) but then again are a lot cheaper than the Aero Race stuff. As mentioned above, I would steer clear of the speedsuits, as they are slower than the San Remo (even with its pockets). I also find the vests to be run quite large and can't get the shoulders to lay flat without flapping around. Others who are more recreational riders don't seem to mind.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast