I need (i.e. want
) a new bike.
I currently ride a first-gen Venge
, with 404s
. And after about 40,000 miles on it, I am hitching for a new steed.
I ride quite a bit, about 250 miles per week. All of it on fast (for me) group rides, lunch hammer-fests and a little racing. I live in Dallas area. So it is very flat and windy. I am a lanky 150lbs.
I am limited to what I can get from our sponsor shop (Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Wilier, Pinarello
, and maybe some other special orders from small brands).
After months of agonizing over which bike to get, I was set on getting the new Venge Disk eTap. I know it is not the most loved bike out there but here were my reasons:
- One of the most aero bike, and speed is what I care most about
- Comes with eTap (which I really want)
- All integrated cabling
- Comes with good wheels (CLX64), and they can be setup tubeless which I might try
- I like the saddle and cockpit (although not crazy about the riser bars)
- I like the geometry
- I like the look of it and the paint scheme in 2017
- Comes with a decent powermeter integrated
So I went to the dealer to order it this week, and after initial delays of October to December, it is now delayed another 5 months until April. Who knows when it will really be available.
So I am back to square one and this continuing analysis paralysis. Here are my options:
- Do nothing, my old clunker is perfectly fine
- Upgrade old Venge to eTap, new wheels (would need 11 speeds), new aero cockpit (that would cost almost $5K!)
- Get the 2016 new Venge Rim brake, since almost same price as option 1 above. (now discontinued and discounted by a huge discount). But I don't love the paint and the brakes
- Wait another 5 months and get the 2017 Venge as originally planned
- Get a Pinarello F8 (which is ~$2K/$3K more than the Venge). I really like the F8, but the price crossed a mental barrier for me, and the discounts are very small. Would be my favorite bike if price was non issue
The other offerings don't inspire me too much (Giant propel -> older design that should change next year, Cannondale SS->No aero option even if great bike).