Derraileur maintenance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tomstr

by Tomstr

With the cold season coming up I'm trying to work out how to maintain my derrailleurs with al the grit and grime that comes their way.

One of the issues I'm having is that grease is way too thick to reach the bushings of the mechanism so I'm thinking of an oil that will get there. Does anyone have experience with Squirt? The idea is that it leaves a wax layer that doesn't get flushed away at the first ride in the rain.
Last edited by Tomstr on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride it like you stole it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Which mech?

Most run on bushes rather than bearings (except the jockey wheels).

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Any mech really, both front and rear are in the firezone when riding in poor weather. This applies for rimbrakes too. You're right about the bushings, only the pulleys have bearings if you're running decent quality. I've changed it above. :)

mattr

by mattr

Just noticed you updated this!

For winter i fill the jockey wheel bearings with grease, then just keep on top of rinsing/cleaning and spraying the rest of the body with oil. Doesn't matter how good or bad it is (beyond a certain point), just a regular clean and coat will do the trick.
Then it's just a matter of keeping everything clean.
Also, mudguards is the best upgrade for weather protection you can get, by far.
Both for protecting the bike, and keeping warm and dry.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

It's still winter here so no biggie. :)

I have to try your idea for the jockeywheels. That should save some friction, have to take care with the grease though as some of them pick up crazy amounts of sand.

I've recently cleaned the whole lot and oiled it, afterwards I put a good amount of Squirt wax on the hinges of the derrailleurs. It's not very pretty to see but the wax seems to keep a lot of mud and water out of the bushes. It also holds up to cleaning well, definately a tip if you don't want to go for mudguards (remember the time Shimano had these as accessories for derrailleurs? :) ).

As for cleaning, only Morgan Blue or Cyclon for me. I'm sure industrial degreasers or diesel would be better but I'm not ready to stock up on that kind of stuff yet. :D