Full carbon frames on a budget?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Exar

by Exar

Allright, opinions everyone!

and:

This one

Same frame?
Chains to the right!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spin110

by spin110

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? wrote:LOL...

So what. I don't see what's laugh out loud funny. This isn't news for me.
Welcome to the real world.

thewalrus

by thewalrus

yes, same frame, look at the position of the downtube cable stops... and the rear brake mounting area.

quiglet13

by quiglet13

Ok took it for a ride. To the poster who asked about the bottle cages, yes they do hold the bottle well. Irish Riders like Sean Kelly (who trains with my local club all the time, the man is still as tough as leather), were good on the cobbles of Belgium because quite frankly they are smoother than the so called roads of Ireland, so you could say that they were well tested !

The bike handles very, very well. I find the drops a bit poor on the bars, not long enough, my wrists and arms hit the top part of the bar whilst sprinting in the drops will try and adjust it a bit to fix it. That said on the tops this is the most comfortable bar I have ever had and as this is a bike for climbing thats where I need the comfort.

The one place where my trek was better somewhat was the cornering, this one just seems to track wider. That said, it may well be because the whole thing feels so different to the trek and because of the geometry and some back problems at the moment my riding position is a lot different (more forward), and that is causing me to feel a little less confident in the cornering.

Overall though this bike was built with the express intention of getting to the top of the Alpe D'Huez in this years etape and it looks like it is perfect for that. It is very very light, the compact is sweet, the gears shift smoothly. There is a marked improvement over the trek on the hills.

Very happy overall with this. Will be taking it on a 200km ride in 3 weeks, so that will be the real test.

KB

by KB

quiglet13 wrote:Ok took it for a ride. To the poster who asked about the bottle cages, yes they do hold the bottle well. Irish Riders like Sean Kelly (who trains with my local club all the time, the man is still as tough as leather), were good on the cobbles of Belgium because quite frankly they are smoother than the so called roads of Ireland, so you could say that they were well tested !

The bike handles very, very well. I find the drops a bit poor on the bars, not long enough, my wrists and arms hit the top part of the bar whilst sprinting in the drops will try and adjust it a bit to fix it. That said on the tops this is the most comfortable bar I have ever had and as this is a bike for climbing thats where I need the comfort.

The one place where my trek was better somewhat was the cornering, this one just seems to track wider. That said, it may well be because the whole thing feels so different to the trek and because of the geometry and some back problems at the moment my riding position is a lot different (more forward), and that is causing me to feel a little less confident in the cornering.

Overall though this bike was built with the express intention of getting to the top of the Alpe D'Huez in this years etape and it looks like it is perfect for that. It is very very light, the compact is sweet, the gears shift smoothly. There is a marked improvement over the trek on the hills.

Very happy overall with this. Will be taking it on a 200km ride in 3 weeks, so that will be the real test.

KB

by KB

Don't know how that happened. Was just reading it. :oops:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

quiglet13 wrote:The pedalforce is excellent. It is an OEM frame also used by Litespeed (Pavia Model).
No it isn't.

Litespeed's Pavis is NOT a rebadged Pedalforce. It is a Taiwanese produced frame, but has different lay-up and unique resin used. The geometry is different as well.

That isn't rumour but Litespeed's answer.

Luc

by Luc

What about B H's ? With or without integrated seatpost. Mmmh...of course, the Liberty Seguros paintscheme could appear...somehow specific, and out of fashion after 2 - 3 years... A good alternative : the basic "carbon color"....

Some forum members here, on recent threads, summarized these frames : "Giant-clones", much cheaper...

A plus : bike of the year 2005 in French magazine Le Cycle.

:roll:
Pollice verso.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Exar wrote:Allright, opinions everyone!

and:

This one

Same frame?

I've seen it as Ambrosio and other names-they don't make them in large sizes, and they are heavier than some alloy frames at 1400g.

Karbon

by Karbon

spin110 wrote:
HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? wrote:LOL...

So what. I don't see what's laugh out loud funny. This isn't news for me.
Welcome to the real world.

Don't worry about it Spin, your letting a college student get to you.

drjones96

by drjones96

"Full carbon frame on a budget"

Ok...why?

If you had to choose between a cheap (read crappy) carbon frame and one of the best aluminum frames available which would you choose?

I'll take a CAAD8 and ride the crap out of it until I could afford to put up the money for a good carbon frame.

...But to each his own.

thewalrus

by thewalrus

DocRay wrote:
I've seen it as Ambrosio and other names-they don't make them in large sizes, and they are heavier than some alloy frames at 1400g.

Somebody from the bikeforums.net road section recently built a 58cm Pedalforce QS2, he said the bare frame weighed in at 1100g.

Exar

by Exar

Why carbon? Because I like the typical characteristics of a carbon frame. And, reallistically, at 650 euros, how much of a high-end aluminium frame can you expect? I have more confidence in the carbon one I've found because I know that certain brand manufacturers use the same frame, than in an alloy frame of which the origins are unknown. A CAAD8 at E650 (including fork) doesn't seem realistic.

I've found some frames on Ebay made out of Deda U2 tubing, which are very light, but i'm afraid they won't have the ride quality of a carbon fiber frame.
Chains to the right!

racyrich

by racyrich

I've said it before, but Ribble do some very cheap, light frames.
I have no experience of what they're like, but at under £500 who cares! And at least you won't be frightened to race it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

Exar wrote:A CAAD8 at E650 (including fork) doesn't seem realistic.

It's a common difference in brand perception. In the US Cannondale offers lots of models with value for money. Contrary to that, in Europe Cannondale has built and nurtured a perception of a so called high-end brand image. Pricing is accordingly high as well.

Things have gotten somewhat cheaper now in Europe due to discounting dealers, but it used to be that you had to pay as much for a CAAD7 Si as you did for a top of the line Colnago.