Brake caliber misalignment after heavy braking?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Hi,

During my last few rides I started to notice something I have never seen before. I noticed that after almost every 'hard' braking my Ultegra caliber become misaligned (either to the left or to the right) and I have to readjust it every time as it rubbed against the braking surface. I wonder if any of you have experienced this before and are there any fix? Maybe the caliber bolts are not tightened to the correct torque?

Cheers,
Chanon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

First thing to do is to make sure the cable housing is the correct length. Completely loosen the brake bolt and see if the brake stays centered. A perfect cable job should leave the brake a close to centered as possible. Keep in mind is that on many frames this is not possible but at least you want to set it up so that the cable housing is not pushing too hard on the caliper. Also remember for the front brake you want to be able to turn the bars without the brakes engaging. From this point it just a matter of centering the caliper and tightening the bolt. The use of an aggressive friction washer can help if you are really having problems.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Thanks, I'll try and see if it solve the problem. I have been using the same cables and calipers for at least a year without any issue. So it just left me a bit confused.

fh8425

by fh8425

my suspect is the mounting bolts ...ensure it is correctly torque loaded ..

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

It is fixed now. It was a combination of wheel flex under load. When braking and riding out of the saddle the wheel flexes enough to push the brake caliper to one side making it go out of alignment and it was also exacerbated by the improper tightening of the quick release.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

I've had this happen when a wheel got out of true, always the first thing I check now
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

This is a known issue with under build wheels (e.g. low spokes), needless to say quick release setup. Bare minimum spec for disc front wheel should be 24 spokes laced at 2x and with thru-axle setup, irrelevant how much a rider weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder