Campagnolo EPS - V2 versus V3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gerryc89

by gerryc89

I am trying to understand the main differences between V2 and V3.

I understand that there is a difference in the junction boxes and the battery location. V2 is internal to the frame and V3 is internal to the seatpost.

What else is there?

Are V2 mechs interchangeable with V3 mechs?

I have an option for a very good price V2 groupset and the reviews are good. However, I am concerned about compatibility and how I can use it for many years to come. I don't want to trash a rear mech and find them hard to come by.

EDIT - Specifically I am referring to a Record Groupset. I note there are some differences between Chorus etc
Last edited by gerryc89 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

If you can get a smoking deal on V2, I would get it and upgrade to V3.
I think the main thing is the charging port option on the junction box like Shimano.

http://fitwerx.com/campagnolo-eps-v3-review-features-and-updates/

Upgrade Campagnolo EPS V1 Or V2 To Campagnolo EPS V3

The new Campagnolo EPS Power Unit and cockpit interface are compatible with previous generation Record and Super Record shifters and derailleurs. Thank you Campagnolo! Owners of bikes with Campagnolo EPS V1 and V2 will be able to upgrade, getting the new features, by replacement of these parts. This is not quite as easy as it sounds, particularly the Power Unit, and will require at least partial disassembly of the bike in order to run cables from the new EPS power pack to the various components. While it is better for most people to leave this upgrade to a shop familiar with the Campagnolo EPS system, it is great that Campagnolo allows for such upgrades.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mfuchs1

by mfuchs1

For Record and Super Record the only difference is the battery and junction box. However, v.2 Chorus and Athena are not compatible with v.3 or any Record or Super Record parts.

Miller

by Miller

Note: I am not speaking as a V3 expert here so the below is open to correction.

As far as I understand it, the update is in the control logic. If you already have Record/SR EPS then acquiring the V3 battery and interface unit will get you the V3 features. The connection plugs don't change and the signals to the mechs don't change. There are no mechs that are specifically v3, in fact I think all mechs will operate with v1/v2/v3.

Miller

by Miller

mfuchs1 wrote:However, v.2 Chorus and Athena are not compatible with v.3 or any Record or Super Record parts.

Out of purely academic interest, is that just because of the different plug style or is the electronic signalling different too?

It would be good if Campag unified on a single plug standard in my opinion.

mfuchs1

by mfuchs1

plug difference

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Thanks guys.

To be specific - the deal is for Record V2. So I could upgrade if I wished?

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Many thanks.

If I understand correctly, it would be these two pieces.

Battery Pack - https://www.bike24.com/p2167618.html

Interface Unit - https://www.bike24.com/p2167602.html

Is that correct? It would be both of course. Neither works on their own or mixed with the old V3 stuff.

Denavelo wrote:If you can get a smoking deal on V2, I would get it and upgrade to V3.
I think the main thing is the charging port option on the junction box like Shimano.

http://fitwerx.com/campagnolo-eps-v3-review-features-and-updates/

Upgrade Campagnolo EPS V1 Or V2 To Campagnolo EPS V3

The new Campagnolo EPS Power Unit and cockpit interface are compatible with previous generation Record and Super Record shifters and derailleurs. Thank you Campagnolo! Owners of bikes with Campagnolo EPS V1 and V2 will be able to upgrade, getting the new features, by replacement of these parts. This is not quite as easy as it sounds, particularly the Power Unit, and will require at least partial disassembly of the bike in order to run cables from the new EPS power pack to the various components. While it is better for most people to leave this upgrade to a shop familiar with the Campagnolo EPS system, it is great that Campagnolo allows for such upgrades.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

That's correct.

To mount the power unit in the seat post you'll also need one of these.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Useful thread this! I can get a complete SR EPS v2 groupset (used) for around £1000.... so I'm contemplating pulling the trigger, and mulling over an upgrade to V3 - although that means a completely new build would be required ;)

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Mockenrue wrote:That's correct.

To mount the power unit in the seat post you'll also need one of these.

That adapter is only for V3. If he uses V2 he needs this seatpost adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-EPS-V2-PU-Seat-Post-Adapter-/272123972889

To the OP, V3 you gain the charging port on the interface, slimmer battery and you can diagnose and change settings via Bluetooth with the EPS app. The rest of the components stay the same.

By the way, V2 batteries are discontinued. When there is a problem with V2, Campy sends V3 batteries for warranty.
██

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I'm aware of that. I was merely pointing out that if one installs V3 one will need to buy the adapter as it is not included with the battery.

NamoNamo

by NamoNamo

My V2 eps has failed. It was installed in a new bike in March 2014 but started mis behaving last year finally dying in Sept 2106 although it has taken until now for my dealer and the uk distributor to verify the battery/brain needs replacing. They say it's not covered under the 2 year warranty. Must admit I've lost a lot of faith in eps since I've started having problems. How many others have had there V2 system fail just after the warranty runs out I wonder?

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

no one has mentioned that you need a hole for the changing cable and plug for version 2, very few frames have this

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

I am reviving this one from the dead. Is the old v2 battery compatible with v3 junction ? I am going to be moving the v2 on my F10 to a new frame that does not have a charging hole for v2. What is the minimum I need to get ? Only the v3 junction box or also the v3 battery and charger ?

Thanks!