Setting up Di2 Synchro shifting?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Go Garmin!! I'll just wait for it to change its mood lol!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Macses

by Macses

IrrelevantD wrote:
Macses wrote:Is it possible to see the gear mode (m, s1 or s2) on a Garmin 810? I can see the gears and such but not the mode of synchro shifting

Thanks!

I have a 810 as well and I haven't seen it. It might be in the Di2 "About" page. As I recall, that's where you can change the cassette and chainring sizes, so I'm going to assume that's where it'd be. That being said, probably just easier to reach below the stem and hit the button depending on how you have the junction box mounted.

No it's not there either. Maybe it's just for the 820 and 1000?
I reached out to garmin support but after 1 week still no answer...

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Macses wrote:
IrrelevantD wrote:
Macses wrote:Is it possible to see the gear mode (m, s1 or s2) on a Garmin 810? I can see the gears and such but not the mode of synchro shifting

Thanks!

I have a 810 as well and I haven't seen it. It might be in the Di2 "About" page. As I recall, that's where you can change the cassette and chainring sizes, so I'm going to assume that's where it'd be. That being said, probably just easier to reach below the stem and hit the button depending on how you have the junction box mounted.

No it's not there either. Maybe it's just for the 820 and 1000?
I reached out to garmin support but after 1 week still no answer...

Yea, was kinda afraid of that. With the 820 out, I don't think we'll see a lot of new features for the 810. I know the 1000 is supposed to have a button that can be added to the training pages, but I don't think they have that for the 820 or 520 yet.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

kode54

by kode54

Garmin wants to upsell. i'm sure they can add new features via firmware...but fail to do so on older models.

i really don't need another computer. i too have an 810 and don't need a 820 or 1000...but if i wanted those new features...i'd have to pay for it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

kode54 wrote:Garmin wants to upsell. i'm sure they can add new features via firmware...but fail to do so on older models.

i really don't need another computer. i too have an 810 and don't need a 820 or 1000...but if i wanted those new features...i'd have to pay for it.

Yea, I was kinda disappointed in the 820. I like the size of the 810 as I frequently leave it on the map screen when riding. Want a bigger screen than the 520, but don't want to go quite as big as the 1000. The only feature that was really enticing to me was getting notifications on screen as I'm frequently on-call and It'd be nice to see who is calling or messaging me without having to try to look at my Vivoactive on my wrist.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

kode54

by kode54

that's one reason why i haven't upgraded. i like the 810 size. the 1000 is too large. the 820 felt like going backwards to a size that's like the 520 which didn't appeal to me. a revised 810 sized version would appeal to me with a screen size to fit within the 810s parameters. perfect...if they made one.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mattr

by mattr

This is one of those times that going to the elemnt seems to appeal, they seem to be far more on the ball with adding features and regular upgrades than Garmin. Even the current garmins don't get that many regular updates.
The elemnt seems to be monthly.

gbrown

by gbrown

mr4fox wrote:Are you able to change the shift mode on your edge 1000? I tap it where it says "Tap to change" then it says updating but doesn't change the shift mode.

Same here, I presumed it was a firmware bug and they'll eventually fix it.

I put the Shift Mode data field on one of the Garmin pages, and double click the button on the junction box to change the mode.

Also, I can't hear any beeps or see any data field flashing when it is about to auto shift! I have the numeric Gears field on the Garmin page I leave it on while riding, and I use the old ANT+ d-fly, not the new ANT+/bluetooth, so perhaps it is bluetooth only?

The font for the numeric Gear data field got bigger after the last update, which I was very pleased with as it was generally a struggle to see!

Geoff

gbrown

by gbrown

It would be nice to have both the full sync and the semi-sync active at the same time, i.e. if I manually change the front instead of waiting for a sync shift, then the rear would adjust as if in semi-sync mode.

I would choose to have the full sync set on cogs 2 and 10, just to stop accidental extreme cross chaining, but change early when it suits, and have it take care of the rear at the same time!

I can't see any reason not to have semi-sync work if you have full-sync active, you could always set the number of gears to change to 0 if you don't like it.

Geoff

spartan

by spartan

i find changing the shift mode very cumbersome. if only we could change it from garmin or bolt. hoping.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

gmarsden

by gmarsden

spartan wrote:i find changing the shift mode very cumbersome. if only we could change it from garmin or bolt. hoping.

You can change it with the Garmin 820 on the sensor details page.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

gbrown wrote:It would be nice to have both the full sync and the semi-sync active at the same time, i.e. if I manually change the front instead of waiting for a sync shift, then the rear would adjust as if in semi-sync mode.

I would choose to have the full sync set on cogs 2 and 10, just to stop accidental extreme cross chaining, but change early when it suits, and have it take care of the rear at the same time!

I can't see any reason not to have semi-sync work if you have full-sync active, you could always set the number of gears to change to 0 if you don't like it.

Geoff

This!! I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday morning.

Macses

by Macses

did my first outdoor test with semi and full synchronized shifting yesterday
I have a 50/34 11-32 setup
don't really know what should be best in semi-synchronized mode: when shifting up in front, shift down 2 or 3 gears in the rear?
are there people with the same setup here who can post a screenshot of their shift map?

gbrown

by gbrown

Macses wrote:I have a 50/34 11-32 setup
don't really know what should be best in semi-synchronized mode: when shifting up in front, shift down 2 or 3 gears in the rear?
are there people with the same setup here who can post a screenshot of their shift map?

This is what I am trying at the moment, shifting 2 gears, with an 50-34 and 11-32.

Syncro_1132_2.png

The shift up to the big ring with 14T to 18T on the rear is pretty seem-less and causes me no problems, no matter how unexpected.

On an 11-32 cassette, rear shifts give changes in gearing between 108% and 114%, so I've looked for shifts as close to that range as possible, trying to get close to the rear shifts either side. I think that is one reason why the up shift at 14T, dropping back to 18T works well, as it 114.4%, very close to the shift up from 16T to 14T and also the next one from 18T to 16T.

The shift down to the little ring is a bit rough if I don't anticipate it, as it first gets too easy to pedal and then the rear shifts back from 28T to 22T and it's OK again, but for a second or two I am spinning too freely. I'm not sure why the change up is smoother? Perhaps it is because it happens at a higher speed and there is more momentum to soak up the brief pause while the rear gears sort themselves out?

It would be better to change down earlier, but for some reason e-tube does not allow you to change down on the front before the biggest two cogs on the rear!

So the change up at 14T to 18T seems ideal for 2 shifts, but others give bigger steps, so I will try 3 shifts, which would give one more gear and slightly reduce the chances of a change in the front.

Here is my map for 3 shifts.

Syncro_1132_3.png

The best upshift is probably at 12T, shifting back to 16T, or 13T to 18T if you want a little less cross chaining.

Unfortunately, the ideal down shift is at 22T, shifting back to 16T and e-tube won't allow this to be configured. I really can't imagine that it is deliberately restricted to changing only when the largest two cogs are selected, in fact the exact opposite would make more sense, so I hope that at some time this will be noticed and fixed, hopefully the next time they update e-tube!

Geoff
Last edited by gbrown on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barn

by barn

I get a banner notification on the 520 when I select Shift Modes with SM-EWW01 D Fly, but no Buzzer/Alert for Front Derailleur movement.

Attachments
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG