Setting up Di2 Synchro shifting?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Double click your control box. Twice.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Timujin wrote:for some reason after the updates, its decided to semi sync shift, i.e. when front mech moves down, rear moves up 2 and vice versa

can i get rid of this.. in the ETube software i cannot seem to find the disable these types of shifting..

Double-tap the button on your A junction box. The LEDs should flash. 1 flash is manual, 2 is shift mode 1, 3 is shift mode 2. Modes 1 and 2 are your synchro/semi-synchro modes that can be set via the app if you have wireless, or via PC through the wired interface.

Just double-tap it until you get back to 1 flash and you should be good. You may also be able to do this via your GPS head unit assuming it supports it. I think Garmin 520/820/1000 are the only ones that currently do though.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timujin

by Timujin

IrrelevantD wrote:
Timujin wrote:for some reason after the updates, its decided to semi sync shift, i.e. when front mech moves down, rear moves up 2 and vice versa

can i get rid of this.. in the ETube software i cannot seem to find the disable these types of shifting..

Double-tap the button on your A junction box. The LEDs should flash. 1 flash is manual, 2 is shift mode 1, 3 is shift mode 2. Modes 1 and 2 are your synchro/semi-synchro modes that can be set via the app if you have wireless, or via PC through the wired interface.

Just double-tap it until you get back to 1 flash and you should be good. You may also be able to do this via your GPS head unit assuming it supports it. I think Garmin 520/820/1000 are the only ones that currently do though.

gracias amigo... will try it now

Tristan

by Tristan

Double-pressing the button on your bikes junction box (when the bike is not plugged into etube) will cycle through the 3 shift modes and then flash the current shift mode.

Also press and hold a shift button and the battery light will indicate charge then the lights will flash the current shift mode.

One flash for manual shift, twice for semi-sychro, three times for full synchro.
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

altidude

by altidude

I've just updated the firmware but software 'hung' and now battery won't recognise system. Any ideas?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

altidude wrote:I've just updated the firmware but software 'hung' and now battery won't recognise system. Any ideas?

Try disconnecting the battery. And reconnect. If no joy, then;

1. Disconnect all components, leaving just the battery and control box.
2. If that's OK, add components back in one at a time.
3. Update them as you go.
4. Cross your fingers and hope.

altidude

by altidude

not looking good - is there an easy way to 'reboot' the firmware in the battery?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

altidude wrote:not looking good - is there an easy way to 'reboot' the firmware in the battery?

Not that I know of - maybe someone else will chip in.

Do you have the PCE-1 diagnostic tool?

lobuxracer

by lobuxracer

HFGent wrote:...I am annoyed at the fact that synchroshift mode that the downshift from big ring can be programmed only at the 2nd to lowest gear. It's really annoying...

I created an account just to search for and confirm this. My frustration with this knows no ends. I won't even talk about all the things I did to "upgrade" to the configuration I have now from the factory set up on the Cervelo S5 Team LE I just bought. It makes me want to change cassettes...
lance - no, not that guy, I started racing in 1976.
1980 A-D Ultima
1999 Softride TT
2013 Cervelo S5 Team LE

muppetkeeper

by muppetkeeper

Just a note that may help people in the future. I swapped out my non Bluetooth d-fly for the new Bluetooth one, and on the way managed to completely toast my set up. Only the left lever was registering even when I plugged my PC in.
I eventually solved my issues after a great deal of panic by unplugging everything that went into the junction box and connecting the PC, running E-TUBE a few times and then plugging components in one at a time, closing and restarting E-TUBE after each component. Luckily all good now, but there was an hour or two of complete dread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edu24h

by Edu24h

IrrelevantD wrote:
rcb78 wrote:The official word from Shimano North America is that the restriction will be lifted for specific chainring combos, i.e. those with a small enough tooth difference so that there is no rubbing in the small/small combo. As of last week, the way to avoid that was to tell the E-Tube software that you are running an 'allowed' combo, but that will throw the numbers in the gear ratio chart, leaving you to do your own math. They did not tell us what the tooth difference limit officially is, but 53/39 is allowed and 50/34 & 52/36 are not.

So, I tried to setup semi-synchro today with the new firmware update and kept getting the following error:

"bike has a gear structure that cannot be configured"

I'm guessing it's due to this, as I have it configured for 52/36 (actually running 50/36 elliptical). Anyone else seeing this error? Shimano is giving absolutely no information in the app as to what "gear structure" it is that cannot be configured.

Did you find a solution to that message?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Edu24h wrote:Did you find a solution to that message?

Sorry for the delayed reply, been a while since I logged in. So I got it to work, forget exactly how. I might have just set it to a "supported" configuration. Ended up going back to normal shifting. Didn't really like the synchro or semi-synchro.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

ms6073

by ms6073

I also reverted back to semi-synchro as synchro shift mode would not allow me to use the largest rear cog to top a hill without shiting to the small chainring, which often meant shifting back to the big chainring 10-20 seconds later.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

XCProMD

by XCProMD

This Synchro Shift feature is a really frustrating thing... First the R 9150 RD doesn't take the slack on all gears even though it looks like you have an anchor fixed to the rear of the bike (not to mention how difficult it is to remove the wheel-wasn't it that the new standard was meant to make it easier?)

Then the function is downright awkward. The shifts to the small ring are slow like b*****s and it will stay on the big ring until the chain is at 90 degrees with the road?

Rubbish

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

KiwiPete

by KiwiPete

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster here looking for a bit of help.

I've just upgraded to lateset battery and wireless unit. I'm trying to set up syncro or semi-sync shifiting. It will only allow me to do this if I select 52/36 & 11-28. For every other combination of chainrings or sprockets I get the message "the bike has a gear structure that cannot be configured". I feel like I'm doing something wrong as, surely, it should work with other combos.

I have upgraded the firmware on all components and using the iphone app and e-tube software.

Any advise on where to look greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com