BMC TMR road bike size question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trchern

by trchern

Hi all,

I am 5'11, inner leg around 34. I am thinking about buying a BMC TMR02.
According to BMC website, my height is within the range (175-183cm) that fits 54 frame. (stack 545mm, reach 386mm and effective top tube 542mm)
http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-en/bikes/bike-detail/url_variation/589/
However, for other bike brand, those geometry parameter number seems too small to me. For example, the Giant TCR ML fits me well, but the stack, reach number are size 56 for TMR. Same situation as Scott Addict, in which the 56 frame is suitable for my height.

Is it true that the BMC TMR frame actually feels "larger" than the numbers presented in the geometry parameters?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I noticed this also when I looked at BMC. I am 183 cm so just slightly taller than you, and a 54 is a bit too short and too low in the front for me. If you like a really aggressive fit it would work with a long stem. For most people our height, a 56 seems better. I rode a Giant TCR Advanced SL for years - ML was my size and if fit well. FYI my body proportions are pretty average, maybe a touch long in the torso and arms.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I'm 183 too and have a 56. Good fit for me. I need 20-25mm of spacers under a 110mm stem so going down to the 54 would just mean more spacers which is silly. I sometimes wonder if I'd be better off with the 58cm with a slammed stem and a 90-100mm stem(?).

I think your best bet is to compare Stack and reach of the TMR to the bikes you know fit you(include any spacers and stem length of this bikes) then get the frame that will allow you to run not too many spacer(or slammed!) with a descent length stem.

Absolutely love the bike btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarlC

by KarlC

I am 6’ tall and my inner leg length with no shoes is 33.5 inches.

I have a TMR01 in 56, I think a 54 would have worked for me also, but I could not pass up the deal I got on the 56.

These are great bike, most guys love them except for 2 things ....

- Brakes - Make sure they are built and set up right, then you will be very happy.
- Ride comfort - I am now on Zipp 404 wheels with Zipp tangente sl speed tubular 28 tires and love the ride.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

trchern

by trchern

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I just measured my height again, and I am about 181cm. I think I will go for 56 frame size.

And I just found there is a summary of official suggested frame size vs rider height:

http://cdn.accumulatecloud.com.au/a1/Objects/PDF/Rewards/BMC_SIZING_q.pdf

You can see, for example, both Teammachine 01 and 02/03 suggests 56 even 57 frame size for 175-183cm, while for TMR02, size 54 is preferred.

It is still weird to me.

Is there anything to do with its TT style geometry? Or because its steep (74 degrees) which is constant among different frame size?

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Looks weird for me too. I am 173 cm and according to that chart I should ride a 54 SLR01. My current bike is a 51 and still find it a tad big.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

KarlC wrote:I am 6’ tall and my inner leg length with no shoes is 33.5 inches.

I have a TMR01 in 56, I think a 54 would have worked for me also, but I could not pass up the deal I got on the 56.

- Brakes - Make sure they are built and set up right, then you will be very happy.
- Ride comfort - I am now on Zipp 404 wheels with Zipp tangente sl speed tubular 28 tires and love the ride.

you can get 28 c tyres in? I'm guessing they are low pressure as I get rub on some 25s!

KarlC

by KarlC

Philbar72 wrote:

you can get 28 c tyres in? I'm guessing they are low pressure as I get rub on some 25s!

I've had anywhere from 80 - 120 psi in my Zipp tangente sl speed tubular 28 tires with no rubbing.

Normaly I ride at 80-90 psi with no issues at all
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Philbar72

by Philbar72

KarlC wrote:
Philbar72 wrote:

I've had anywhere from 80 - 120 psi in my Zipp tangente sl speed tubular 28 tires with no rubbing.

Normaly I ride at 80-90 psi with no issues at all

fair play, that's good. the issue I have is with brake rub, and not frame rub luckily. i'll reset my bike and sort out the issues...