Seat comfort changing over time?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

I think using power output to select a saddle is just one factor. When I'm fresh at the start of a ride, I'm more likely to put out more power. My power drops during the ride itself, and especially when I bonk. I also go on recovery rides, or just ride to enjoy the scenery. I don't think I'll bring along another saddle during a ride just so I can swap the saddle when I bonk, nor would I swap out a saddle for recovery rides. This reminds me of that very light saddle which is light because it assumes TT-style road rides hence saddle width can be reduced when in fact most road rides are not TT-style.

I think in general road saddles should be designed to support a broad range of postures/positions taken during rides. While the results of the studies do make sense, they support just one aspect of road cycling and should not be taken as the only factor when selecting a saddle.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I have 3 generations and 5 different models of Fizik Aliante. The newer versions, in general, have less cushioning. I think, in part, because they switched from a carbon/kevlar base to an all carbon or carbon/nylon base. I noticed the base change when I went to the new 01. It felt firmer at first, but now I really like it. In fact, I like it so much I bought an 00. The 00 actually has a little more cush than the 01, and is 20g lighter. I love it, but there is an adjustment period from the older versions. I put on tons of miles and I'm pretty particular about my saddle. When I say they the Aliante has changed, the changes have been very subtle, and nothing like going from an Aliante to an Antares, Toupe, Flite, SLR etc. For me, the Aliante is still an Aliante. I love the shape, and I would hate to change. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

As has been covered there's a bit of 2 things going on -
1) You change. Fitter / less fit, lets face it, getting older will probably effect how you sit (changing flexibility) so there are reasons why your prefect saddle will evolve,
2) Saddle wear. I used to find the old Kium Fizik Arione started to sag around 8,000 miles. The carbon reinforced shells of the more expensive Fizik saddles seem to last longer though.

superdx

by superdx

By coincidence happened to do a ride on the older model Aliante today on my travel bike, it was definitely noticeable that it wasn't as comfortable as the new Aliante I put in my main bike. About 2 hours of hard effort, avg. gradients 11-14% in the saddle so lots of pressure being put on the sit bones climbing. I had to stand multiple times and now there's soreness when I sit down in front of my computer.

Also by coincidence about a year ago I posted that the new Aliante was causing me considerable pain whereas the old Aliante fit like a glove. Now it's completely flipped around.

Bewildering how just 12 months can make your ass need something totally different. I have a PM now, I'd guess I'd gained around 30-50W FTP from back then.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Flexibility really affects how my saddle feels. Mid-summer, when I am peaking, and fully flexible, everything feels great. As the weather cools down, I find I have to do loads more stretching and warm ups take longer to get comfortable on the saddle.