Topeak pump with screw-on/different branded pump head?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mep

by Mep

Ever since I switched to tubulars, I've had the famous problem of the push-on pump head blowing off the valve at higher pressure (~110 psi).

It's never been an issue for me before, but now I'm wondering if I can switch the Topeak pump head to a more traditional screw-on one. Something like the Birzman Snap-it Apogee or Lezyne ABS2 chuck looks promising. Has anyone done this successfully?

This is the pump head I'm currently using: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... -smarthead

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I put a KNC pump head on my Topeak, it's excellent, really locks on well.

Calvaroz

by Calvaroz

i don't see why it wouldn't work.

here's a review of some pump head if it helps: http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... d_Shootout

Mep

by Mep

Thanks for pointing out KCNC - will look more into that.

It may not work because of different hose attachments. The Birzman and Lezyne ones have very different looking attachments. Birzman looks closer to what my Topeak pump has, but not sure if the diameters are the same.

spud

by spud

I've got the Topeka screw on head and don't recommend it - it usually unscrews the valve core when removing. All screw on chucks have a tendency to do this. Before you go there, try to find a new gasket for your current head, yours is probably worn and will work correctly once replaced.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

KCNC pump head is the best $45 I spent in a while. I was starting to hate latex tubulars due to pumping inconvenience until this purchase.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mep

by Mep

Yep I'll second that KCNC pump head