my gripe - Where are all the Weenie bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sacke

by Sacke

kgt wrote:Still, this forum is among the best... whatever its name.

+1 :thumbup:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'm trying to build a weenie bike slowly, but I have no time for tuning, and f*ck all extra funds for high end parts so it is slow going. I think there are a lot of people in the same boat. There are some fantastic current weenie builds in the intro forum, Clannagh's Trek Y Foil, Godzukis wife's D'Dale, & his Litespeed, the stuff coming out of Sugar Kanes worskhop. Just spend a bit of time looking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Yeah, seems like people are necro-posting this every few months.. If you have the funds to buy the necessary machinery to tune parts, then kudo's to you.. I don't have the space or funds (double wacked), so I go down the route of saving money to buy boutique items. To each his own and should not be any reason to gripe.. sit back and enjoy the creativity while holding back on any snark remarks. This is afterall, the internet.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Yep, I guess by definition I am a MAMIL and I am working towards having my F8 hit the scales at under 6kg......... and I will be happy with that [for now]. I haven't been a member for long enough to know the "good old days" nor am I comfortable to "tune" parts which may compromise my bike, it's components or my safety. I'm ok spending my money to chase weight numbers knowing full well that I'm the real limiting factor but I still get a kick from it. If I'm not a true WW so be it but I do enjoy visiting this forum to see what others are up to and garner knowledge etc. I try to participate in discussions when I feel I can add to the thread[s] I certainly don't plan or look to create friction...........

Steve M
BB

Coffee & carbon

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I love the tuned bikes under 5kg.. love em. My Parlee is under 6kg depending on wheelset used and that's good enough for me. Nothing is tuned by the standards of others... but atleast I do my own wrenching for better or worse. :) and I just enjoy riding.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Wingnut

by Wingnut

prendrefeu wrote:
Wingnut wrote:I'm more into bikepacking these days where there's less elitism and more grassroots...

Are you approaching it WW style ? :)

(ie, lightest equipment balanced with capacity, durability) ?

Nah, just getting it muddy and having fun riding dirt roads...it has a Rohloff drivertrain so it's heavy from the start... ;)

Wingnut

by Wingnut

jimaizumi wrote:Yeah, seems like people are necro-posting this every few months.. If you have the funds to buy the necessary machinery to tune parts, then kudo's to you.. I don't have the space or funds (double wacked), so I go down the route of saving money to buy boutique items. To each his own and should not be any reason to gripe.. sit back and enjoy the creativity while holding back on any snark remarks. This is afterall, the internet.

Good post...

AJS914

by AJS914

The forum should just have a "tuning" or "super light" sub forum.

nickcube

by nickcube

I'm 17, at school and saving to hit up Europe next year once I finish so I barely get time to even ride in between school, study and work, so I'm pretty much limited to checking out whatever I see on here. If I had the experience, knowledge, money, time and resources to tune parts as light as possible I would(did and engineering class this year and loved it), and probably will once I'm in uni and have a bit more time and money hanging around. Closest I've gotten to what's considered exotic parts was seeing sugarkane's workshop earlier this year, before then I'd seen plenty of Di2 around etc. but the workmanship I saw there was a step beyond anything I'd seen working at my local shop

MoPho

by MoPho

9734344 wrote:The only way I can possibly explain this is "LAMENS". If all people knew what a light 'carbon' bike felt like, why would they be more impressed with a heavier bike?

BREXIT......TRUMP......."NON WEIGHT WEENIES"

I'm OFF....

No "LAYMEN", experienced cyclists know a nice bike when they see one, don't need to lift it up to figure that out

I joined this site because I appreciate a nice build regardless of the weight

corky

by corky

Really the forum should just be called Bikeweenies.......

All those complaining about the lack of weight relates threads should start more of them themselves, it's a forum ffs.....as long as it's within the rules you can post on anything, and if there are threads you don't like you know you can just not read them.......

sawyer

by sawyer

LOL, well said corky

This forum is still one of the best - the wealth of knowledge and presence
of some industry guys here is at times really valuable

What has happened is there is just such a much bigger affluent customer base
in road biking now, and manufacturers have responded with
more and more high-end products. And people don't necessarily want to
take a dremel to a $600 set of bars, understandably

Overall the range of bike parts is far better, and a <7kg bike more affordable
if you know where to go.

And even executing a really nice pro build is still something that cashed-up noobs stuggle
to pull off tbh ...

If in doubt, just blame it all on the advent of Bora clinchers :lol:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

jimaizumi wrote: To each his own and should not be any reason to gripe.. sit back and enjoy the creativity while holding back on any snark remarks. .

Creativity - where? My gripe is that there is hardly any creativity happening anymore - that is what is missing now - members being creative. Whether it be to achieve less weight or even an aero or retro bike that is carefully considered and unique due to the efforts of the owner. Kudos to those few who keep the flame alive by undertaking unique projects - whether it be a custom frame or a carefully built bike that cannot be simply rolled out of a standard bike shop.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Strangely, every body here seem to see an individual responsability (less work for tuning, less interest to technical question, etc), but how about all of the bike marketing ? About the cycle industry ? All of this part selling at a huge price and become junk after one year of use or simply outdated by new standard ? All of this new tendency for the consumer feel unsatisfied ? Feel he can have more pleasure with this new thing ?

Every car can do hundred thousand kilometers with hundreds moving parts and we have tons of problems with bearing, crank arm fail, etc on our bike ?? With bike at a price of a motorbike or small car ? What is this joke ?

I'm just frightened to see how the cycle industry can pump the money without more people to speak about this dupery.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

dadoflam08 wrote:
jimaizumi wrote: To each his own and should not be any reason to gripe.. sit back and enjoy the creativity while holding back on any snark remarks. .

Creativity - where? My gripe is that there is hardly any creativity happening anymore - that is what is missing now - members being creative. Whether it be to achieve less weight or even an aero or retro bike that is carefully considered and unique due to the efforts of the owner. Kudos to those few who keep the flame alive by undertaking unique projects - whether it be a custom frame or a carefully built bike that cannot be simply rolled out of a standard bike shop.

that stuff still happens but it makes it less to this place as the demographic has changed a lot and there is a lot of key board warrior stuff here now.. i have a 'if you can afford it i can have it made' policy at my workshop so have a lot of one off items made using guys like Jure and Werking cycling but don't post most of what i do as i can't be F'd with been critiqued and straight up told that i've done it wrong by kids that have just built their first road bike after a few years on Fixies.. if you can read german or french there are some other forums where the art of drillium is still very much alive.. i can't point you in the direction though as i can't read either.. i personally love the electric group sets as the scope for aftermarket stuff and hacks for some one with electronics skills is endless and its kind of heading the way of cars where if you don't have the skills your out of the high end game.. maybe a bit of snobbery going on there but.. i get a lot of crap from established bike shops in my area who are threatened by my work and the electro hacking is really putting daylight between us :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com