my gripe - Where are all the Weenie bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If someone calls my bike a "weenie" I punch them. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

salesguy

by salesguy

cdtf wrote:There is even one thread in the bikes section where they show off their high end watches on their Colnagos H geometry.

This forum is now about overweight MAMILS with too much money and free time.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=56175&start=4485#p1275207

US Rednecks love to brag.

Americans have such pedestrian, crappy taste in high end watches. Give me an IWC, Breuget or even a LeRoy any day over a Rolex. Lame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Well we Americans realized a long time ago that quality drugs and training top style and taste. You can keep your colnago

Liggero

by Liggero

I registered in this forum in 2005 the first time. I think the real weight weenies went away of this forum, other stayed, but just silent now. In any case, there seem to be a large percentage of this forum of just dentists. So now people build bikes that are much more expensive than 10 years ago, but the tuning or the expertise and prototypes are non existent. Also forum used to be very Euro, now there's a lot of people from united states with a lot of money that started cycling 5 years ago, the longest user, others 3 years.

This forum should be called now, the dentist's bikes, or the rapha bike talk corner, or what did you bought today forum, or café cyclists, or the long sock cylists, or cyclings who use laces in their shoes, or...
Happy Trails !!!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I personally don't come on here much anymore except for a couple of threads...seems to be more about who can throw money at a bike build (sorry Skunkworks) and power meters etc or drugs...

I'm more into bikepacking these days where there's less elitism and more grassroots...

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Oh I forgot about the power meters. I'm here for the pro cycling thread, power meter talk, and really tbh this forum houses some of the best bike mechanical knowledge on the internet. Seriously, it's a treasure trove.

MoPho

by MoPho

9734344 wrote:Obviously what makes a WEENIE bike is the weight. If I get a 'lamen' to pick up my light bike they go "WOW".

How many "WOW" bikes are there nowadays?

I get more WOW's from my non "weight weenie" bike :noidea:

donald

by donald

I get many, many more wow's from my 7.3 lb. bike than I get from my 10 lb. bike.

by 9734344

MoPho wrote:
9734344 wrote:Obviously what makes a WEENIE bike is the weight. If I get a 'lamen' to pick up my light bike they go "WOW".

Maybe we should change?

HOW ABOUT "NON WEIGHT WEENIES"
I'm not a NUMBER.........I'm a Free Man

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Wingnut wrote:I'm more into bikepacking these days where there's less elitism and more grassroots...

Are you approaching it WW style ? :)

(ie, lightest equipment balanced with capacity, durability) ?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by 9734344

MoPho wrote:

The only way I can possibly explain this is "LAMENS". If all people knew what a light 'carbon' bike felt like, why would they be more impressed with a heavier bike?

BREXIT......TRUMP......."NON WEIGHT WEENIES"

I'm OFF....
I'm not a NUMBER.........I'm a Free Man

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

I think the MAMIL issue is just a short term trend. Based on brick-and-mortar retailers in the US and UK, who started depending on selling high-end stuff (since low end is covered by online stores), business is declining. Perhaps in a few years things will return to normal.

I'm also wondering if there's a shift in communications trend. I see so many young people on their phones and having such short attention spans ("Oooo look a cool bike! Oooo shiny helmet!"), I'm thinking maybe there's now fewer poor college kids frequenting this forum. Instagram/Strava/Twitter might be more popular now.

Calvaroz

by Calvaroz

Laudator temporis acti.
the good old days

it happens in every forum.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I think they're too busy winning races on 19 pound 105 equipped stock bikes to care about posting on this forum.
Instagram is for the "vintage" 2000's cannondales and bianchis they've refinished

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I am in this forum since 2006. I am not one of those who sighs for the 'good old times'. It is true, though, that wweenie bikes and components do not seem to excite as much as they once did. The current trends (aero components, disc brakes, power meters, etc.) are actually against wweenism and most forum members, including moderators, follow these trends.
Still, this forum is among the best... whatever its name.