Using Dura ace stages on tiagra crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Now I know the fashion police will have me held up for this one but.....
Can I use my dura ace 9000 stages power meter on my new 10 speed tiagra spec winter bike? I still want to follow a strict winter plan but don't really want to fork out on a another power meter right before Christmas.
Both cranks are obviously same length but will the shape or weight alter my pedalling?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

metabo

by metabo

I'm pretty sure nobody has ever tried, so perhaps you could be the first. :wink:

The biggest difference between Tiagra crank and above is the hollow structure, so I'd be surprised if your power is properly measured, but who knows.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

metabo wrote:I'm pretty sure nobody has ever tried, so perhaps you could be the first. :wink:

The biggest difference between Tiagra crank and above is the hollow structure, so I'd be surprised if your power is properly measured, but who knows.

why not? the stages unit is installed on and calibrated to the crankarm on which its installed. it doesnt care which arm is on the opposite side of the bottom bracket.

besides, the point of a power meter is to measure applied force, not predict resulting speed... even if it did, assuming perfect L/R distribution, i bet theres negligible "losses" on the tiagra arm.

metabo

by metabo

gewichtweenie wrote:why not? the stages unit is installed on and calibrated to the crankarm on which its installed. it doesnt care which arm is on the opposite side of the bottom bracket.

I think I missed the point. Tiagra right arm + DA Stage left arm. Interesting.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

metabo wrote:
gewichtweenie wrote:why not? the stages unit is installed on and calibrated to the crankarm on which its installed. it doesnt care which arm is on the opposite side of the bottom bracket.

I think I missed the point. Tiagra right arm + DA Stage left arm. Interesting.

Correct Dura ace left arm crank and tiarga crank/chainset right

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Yup.

DDX

by DDX

No problem, I have a stages 7900 with a tiagra 4600 crank.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

DDX wrote:No problem, I have a stages 7900 with a tiagra 4600 crank.

Thank you for the straight answer!

Multebear

by Multebear

Don't know anything about Tiagra. But I have a Stages Dura Ace, and I use it for my summer bike with Dura Ace, my winter bike with 105 and my cx bike with Ultegra. All of them with no issues.

Of it fits the Tiagra, there shouldn't be a problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com