Handlebar reach and stems?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Hi chaps.

I am currently using some 3T Aeronova (alloy) bars which as you know are a longer reach 103mm, I run them with a 100mm stem.

Now, I want to try some carbon bars and have a change with stripping a good 100-120g off my current bars. The Zipp SL-70 aerobats are the ones I want to try out, with a much shallower reach of 70mm.

Will less reach, give me a more upright position, thus being less aero? I don't feel over stretched out with my current setup.

I was thinking 70mm reach bars and a 120mm stem to get near to my current setup? maybe a tad less reach to give me more comfort near the end of 100mile rides would be nicer.

Appreciate some input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Not much to give input on, you seem to have it worked out.

Reducing reach will put your body a little higher.

Do you ride with your hands right in the hoods? If your hands are pulled back then reducing reach would give you more control without changing position. If you're usually up in the hoods and comfortable then there isn't much reason to reduce. Unless you think it will help on long rides.

Fiery

by Fiery

Published reach numbers are notoriously unreliable when trying to determine where the final position will end up. Get and install the new handlebar first, then decide if you need to change the stem length and by how much.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Fiery wrote:Published reach numbers are notoriously unreliable when trying to determine where the final position will end up. Get and install the new handlebar first, then decide if you need to change the stem length and by how much.

Very much agree with this. Change one thing affecting fit at a time.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

GothicCastle wrote:
Fiery wrote:Published reach numbers are notoriously unreliable when trying to determine where the final position will end up. Get and install the new handlebar first, then decide if you need to change the stem length and by how much.

Very much agree with this. Change one thing affecting fit at a time.

Fairwheel bikes measured both bars when they tested the flex of different bars. If you are going for the same fit in the drops, that should be similar. However, you will be reaching further when in the tops. I am actually moving off of a 103mm reach 3t bar to a 80mm reach Pro bar. You should be good doing what you want to do. Make sure your hips don't get misaligned because you move those tops :)
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team