Campagnolo wheels??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Good, day; Happy Thanksgiving to all; I want to do some wheel shopping maybe tomorrow. I run 28mm tires, my choices are Campagnolo Eurus or Shamal new C17 class.. I read and reread, the campy 2017 catalog and the Eurus wheels are height/width 24-27/20 The Shamels are 24-27/22 If a rider could bring me up to speed on this C17 Class I would be thankful. Best'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r_mutt

by r_mutt

in brief: wider internal and external width. more volume requires less pressure = better ride. wider rim makes the sides of the tires less "light bulb" shaped, theoretically better aerodynamics. wider tire on the rim decreases rolling resistance = faster.

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Thanks; it also looks like Campagnolo brought other wheels I.E. the Zonda series up to the wider C17 but not the Eurus, ?

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Personally, I'd go with the Zondas. I don't think the Shamals are worth the premium.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'd absolutely just get the Shamal Ultras (C17). A friend came back from the Death Ride in California and had used some 50mm profile wheels. First thing he said was "I want some low profile wheels!", and after looking around got the Shamal Ultra Clinchers (C17, but not the two-way fit). They are very nice wheels and if I was in need of a clincher set this is what I'd get. They were perfectly round and true in the truing stand, and the dish was perfect as well from the get go. I mounted 23's and 25's Conti 4000S tires on them and compared them to the same tires mounted on my Campy Neutron rim (c15). My friend ended up going with 23's on the new Ultras.

I was going to do a mini review of these wheels but never got around to it so I'll post some pics I took of the same 25mm tires on both the c17 rims (Shamal Ultra) and the older Neutron rims....

Continental 4000S clincher 25mm on Shamal Ultra (17mm internal width):

Same 25mm tire on older Neutron rim. I wouldn't even think about putting a 28mm on this rim. As it is, I have to not only release the brake release to remove them, but also turn the brake adjuster on the caliper themselves as well.

And when checking dish, trueness and roundness... these wheels were as close to perfect as it gets...

Interestingly, the drive side flange is oversized yet again, and measures 82mm, versus 76mm on the new Boras, and 70mm on the pre 2015 Boras...

And they measure 22.5mm at the brake track...

Mounting the clinchers was a breeze too... by hand. Compared to my Neutrons which is quite a task to say the least. Opted for the standard clincher version versus the two-way fit version since the standard tire/tube setup is reliable and works, no matter what.

Anyway, I don't think you could go wrong with these wheels, but a 28mm tire is going to be big, so make sure you have the clearance for it.

Good luck in your shopping...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

I have a Eurus wheelset and it has been faultless . I run 23mm tires and they aren't too buldgy but if I were buying to today, I'd go with a wider rim.

FWIW, Ribble had the Shamal wheelset as their black friday special.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/catalogse ... /?q=shamal

I do have to agree with the above that the Zonda C 17 wheels look great @ under $400.

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Thanks to one and all The Shamal set C17 it is!

Monza36
PowerMeister

by Monza36

r_mutt wrote:in brief: wider internal and external width. more volume requires less pressure = better ride. wider rim makes the sides of the tires less "light bulb" shaped, theoretically better aerodynamics. wider tire on the rim decreases rolling resistance = faster.

just wondering about wider/width... would we a non pros notice the difference in being faster on a wider rim instead of the narrow version? would you also tell the diff between an aero and a non aero frame?
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3465297
--Steve McQueen--

AJS914

by AJS914

I doubt one could feel the speed but a wider rim yields better rolling resistance or allows you to run lower pressures. For example, you can run a 25mm tire on the C17 rims and it won't look lightbulb shaped. (See the pics posted above by Calnago.)

You get more air volume inside the tire with the wider rim. Compared to a narrow rim at the same pressure (say 100psi) you'll have lower rolling resistance. You may also be able to run 85psi and get the same rolling resistance on the wider rim that you had on the narrow rim at 100psi - that is where the comfort thing comes in.

robertbb

by robertbb

I went through this recently, and decided on the Shamal C17's over both the Zonda's and the slightly cheaper C15 Shamal's.

Very happy with my decision, absolutely amazing wheelset. I run 23mm Conti GP4000S2's and they mate to the rim just about perfectly - I wouldn't run 25's on these wheels.

chorus88

by chorus88

Quick question.
I bought a pair of Zonda C17 with Campagnolo freehub from PBK.
Included in the box was QR and manuals.
Am I missing a spacer?
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Don't think so. A spacer for what? You're using Campy cassettes I presume. Just put them directly onto the freehub, no spacers required.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

gfinkee

by gfinkee

True. There are no spacers with Campy.

chorus88

by chorus88

Googled zonda c17
Attachments
zonda-c17-spacer.jpg
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Might that pic above be from a set of Zondas with a Shimano freehub, and the spacer intended for use with a 10sp Shimano cassette if desired? I don't know, but for Campy... no spacer required.