Shimano Technical Q&A. :)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

If you were able to go the Shimano head office in Japan, for a Q&A session with some of the designers / engineers there, what questions would you want to ask them?

I have my own questions ready, but wondered what else other people might want me to ask...

:mrgreen:

crux

by crux

I would ask why they're specifying (for example) their Dura Ace 9070 RD with a tooth maximum of 28 but it will work fine with 30 & 32...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cdtf

by cdtf

TheDarkInstall wrote:If you were able to go the Shimano head office in Japan, for a Q&A session with some of the designers / engineers there, what questions would you want to ask them?

I have my own questions ready, but wondered what else other people might want me to ask...

:mrgreen:

Where is synchro shift for Road.

basilic

by basilic

- cassettes that start at 12 or even 13, but keep the 16 cog
- flexible cassettes, eg in 3 blocs (11 thru 15 or 12-16, then 16-17-19 or 17-19-21 or... the the upper cluster)
- super compact road cranksets, 46/30 or 44/28 (basically 1x with a bailout granny)

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Why are we having to wait so long for DA Di2 9150?

icenutter

by icenutter

Why have they brought out powermeters when the market is already saturated?

Do they plan on using more composites? eg cranks, derailleur cages...

Do theyenvisage high end groupsets being di2 only?

mattyNor

by mattyNor

when will we get a clutch mechanical road derailleur or just have better cross compatibility between road and mtb

trimenc

by trimenc

When will we see wireless Di2? Real WIREless (No wires at all)

uraqt

by uraqt

I ask him about the why they won't replace my new in box 9000 cassette that I know will fail.

C

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

uraqt wrote:I ask him about the why they won't replace my new in box 9000 cassette that I know will fail.

C

Shimano's answer: that's why we also make the 105 :D

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

crux wrote:I would ask why they're specifying (for example) their Dura Ace 9070 RD with a tooth maximum of 28 but it will work fine with 30 & 32...

+1

Also I'd like to know what's the one thing they would like to have but is technically impossible to make today.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

trimenc wrote:When will we see wireless Di2? Real WIREless (No wires at all)

I could see wireless as beneficial on a MTB where it's more difficult to have internal wiring. But on a road bike I really don't see a need. Nowadays bike manufacturers are including internal mechanical/electronic wire routing options. Once the wires are installed (easily using the magnet tool) the benefits of a wired system outweighs a wireless system.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

pdlpsher1 wrote:

I could see wireless as beneficial on a MTB where it's more difficult to have internal wiring. But on a road bike I really don't see a need. Nowadays bike manufacturers are including internal mechanical/electronic wire routing options. Once the wires are installed (easily using the magnet tool) the benefits of a wired system outweighs a wireless system.

Assemble many bikes (as in for a living), and you will see what the true benefits of a wireless system are.
Build time drastically reduced.

Performance benefit? Negligible, but then again i dont see the improvement over mechanical anyway.
Official cafe stop tester

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

icenutter wrote:Why have they brought out powermeters when the market is already saturated?
Do they plan on using more composites? eg cranks, derailleur cages...

There's a really good article in the German Tour magazine on Shimano. The #1 reason why they stuck to aluminum is cost. In aluminum manufacturing there's almost no human touching the part. Everything is automated whereas carbon is labor intensive. Also with aluminum there's no waste in materials. In Shimano's view aluminum parts (i.e. crank) perform just as well as the carbon counterpart, less the bling factor.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

jekyll man wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

Assemble many bikes (as in for a living), and you will see what the true benefits of a wireless system are.
Build time drastically reduced.

Performance benefit? Negligible, but then again i dont see the improvement over mechanical anyway.

It really doesn't take long to route several cables inside a frame. How much time do you save?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com