Shimano Technical Q&A. :)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ritxis

by Ritxis

hjb1000 wrote:This is fun....

-Why do you insist on 24mm spindle and not 30mm?
simplicity? compatibility?

-Why are your mech STI shifters so damn heavy compared to SRAM- I mean Dura Ace is like 100g more than SRAM...
by drive system, perhaps may not be lighten much??

-Why do you continue to use exotic materials in your top of the line cassettes (CFRP and Titanium) yet they aren't that light and often creak?
some creak if, how many? and those who don't... many

-Why do you change the BCD off your road and mtb cranks at every product refresh?
in road cranks every product refresh? safe?.........only in the last update from 5 to 4 arms

-Why did it take you until 2016 to offer a KMC/SRAM style quick link chain connector?
quick link is more comfortable if.......but Shimano pin is very reliable

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Dez33 wrote:
jekyll man wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
jekyll man wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
I could see wireless as beneficial on a MTB where it's more difficult to have internal wiring. But on a road bike I really don't see a need. Nowadays bike manufacturers are including internal mechanical/electronic wire routing options. Once the wires are installed (easily using the magnet tool) the benefits of a wired system outweighs a wireless system.

Assemble many bikes (as in for a living), and you will see what the true benefits of a wireless system are.
Build time drastically reduced.

Performance benefit? Negligible, but then again i dont see the improvement over mechanical anyway.

It really doesn't take long to route several cables inside a frame. How much time do you save?

Reread what I wrote.
I wasn't talking about pdlpshr1, and his n+1 experience of maybe building his baby up. I'm talking about the guys in shops, on the factory floor assembling the things everyday.
Remember, not all bikes are created equal. Things can vary drastically between designs and build quality as to how to easy it might be to "pop a few wires through". Esp the case with carbon frames and what is left in there, and BB designs.
Also internally routed bars.
Have you ever cabled up a TT bike with an integrated front end? Even aero road bars such as aeronovas can be a pain if they want.

That's why I like the concept of the FSA system with the wireless front, but wired rear. Wired rear is a breeze to install and you don't have all the aesthetic issues of the front with the wireless levers, and you don't have the ugly looking etap battery on the rear deraileur. No doubt FSA's execution will be poor though.

So leading back to the OP's post .... question them on the patents that are out there for a similar system to FSA's. And, is that why the Di2 system is being delayed?

And while you are at it, with the injuries that resulted from 9000 cassette failures ... how close did they get to deciding on a recall?

Shimano has patents wireless, the only "problem" of the Di2..... It is a system for all kinds of bikes (Road, Mtb, Urbans, Electrical........) said system have some features peculiar......the almost total compatibility between the different types of bike and configuration capabilities

Maybe if Shimano decides to differentiate the sports (Road, Mtb) of leisure use, go introducing wireless features

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com