Pioneer Vs Stages PM - advice needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I own two pioneer dual PMs. Ironically the one on my foul weather bike has been perfect for a year now. Consistent and no drop outs at all. The other one had drop outs on the left side after a few wet rides. Pioneer serviced the battery door and since then it's working as expected.

I was planning to switch to the new shimano PM, but at this point I see no reason, really. The smaller headunit is also pretty solid (my only wish would be glonass).

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Thanks for all the great feedback.
A local Bike shop has the Pioneer on special at AUD $600 fitted. Tomorrow I drop off my crankarm for the power pod to be attached by Pioneer - approximately a 5 day turnaround.
At 50 I'm more interested in the training benefits of a power meter than to use one during races, so the left side only should be more than adequate. It will be paired to a Garmin 820.
I'm looking forward to testing it out and seeing if training with power makes any difference over my current training program.
Once again, the great feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

I am also 50 and race as well. I got a PM about two years ago. Not sure I am any 'better' then when I was riding without one before. It does make you keep in your zones better when you are training. it was interesting to see on long rides that are supposed to Power Zone 2 how much of your ride goes into much higher zones. For me I know try really hard to do proper Z2 endurance rides. It is much harder than you think!

AJS914

by AJS914

For the money, I think I might try a Powerpod first.

moonoi

by moonoi

I wouldn't bother with Powerpod, I tried one first and found it to be crap. Giving unusual power numbers and generally being not useful as a training tool. Switched to Quarq and Rotor Inpower on my bikes instead.

I liked the idea of the Powerpod, as it's easy to switch between bikes and just load the profile for the bike you're using, with the bonus of being cheap, but it didn't work for me.

Rick

by Rick

If you search you can find my prior description of my trial of Stages. There were simply too many dropouts. I got a refund.

Dropouts are definitely not normal or to be expected. My powertap hub has basically no dropouts, although it has not been flawless and had some other issues. But I am basically satisfied with it.

Darceking

by Darceking

Yep - I raced today and had drop outs all race on the Stages. Really pisses me off. So back to the bike shop to send it off

djel

by djel

I had a Stages 2nd gen on my CAAD10 (FSA) but I switched to Pioneer on my Scott Addict Ultegra because of the possibility to upgrade to left & right measurement.

I didn't have the chance to test the Pioneer but there are 2 things that I find utterly annoying..
1) You have to install a magnet on your frame for the cadence
2) You can't upgrade the firmware of the arm if you don't have the Pioneer head unit

Perhaps I should have stayed with Stages as there's practically no price difference for the Ultegra model (around 425$ all inc)

fa63

by fa63

For what it is worth, I have been using the Pioneer (left side only) without a magnet, and it works fine (comparing to the power indicated by my Wahoo Kickr).

beanbiken

by beanbiken

fa63 wrote:For what it is worth, I have been using the Pioneer (left side only) without a magnet, and it works fine

Similar here, dual sided with zero magnets.........
BB

Coffee & carbon

djel

by djel

beanbiken wrote:
fa63 wrote:For what it is worth, I have been using the Pioneer (left side only) without a magnet, and it works fine

"it works fine" means you get the cadence reading on your head unit?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

djel wrote:
beanbiken wrote:

"it works fine" means you get the cadence reading on your head unit?

Yep, sure do.......... may take a moment longer to register but I don't believe it is any longer than the standard Garmin sensor.

PS. I'm using Garmin 520 & 820's, not the Pioneer [head] unit as I sold that and never tried it
BB

Coffee & carbon

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I dropped off my DA left crank arm this morning to have the Pioneer PM fitted.
Interestingly the Bike ship had a form to fill out for Pioneer.
One thing they asked is what head unit I was using (Garmin 820) as Pioneer would set it up specifically for the unit being used.
Apparently there are different "settings" required if used with the Pioneer head unit
I should have it back and installed on Saturday.
I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Ozrider wrote:One thing they asked is what head unit I was using (Garmin 820) as Pioneer would set it up specifically for the unit being used.
Apparently there are different "settings" required if used with the Pioneer head unit

Yes, all the extra data that the Pioneer can generate is only available via their head unit which receives it on a private Ant+ protocol. The Garmin can only receive the ""normal", open channel Ant+ data.
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djwalker

by djwalker

According to what Pioneer told me, the magnets are only necessary if you have the Pioneer head unit and want to look at how the pedal force changes during the pedal stroke. This is because the magnet is used as an index point for the pedal rotation. Also, they ask about what the head unit is because you can only switch between their private ANT+ data (with the extra information) and a standard ANT+ power signal using either their head unit or the buttons on the right side crank (which isn't much help for left only). I have their head unit and I find that it is very functional and reliable (way better than Garmin). It is missing navigation and interface with cameras, lights, etc but has a ton of power related features. So, it depends on what features you want. Also, as was mentioned above, you can only update firmware either by sending the unit in or using their head unit. They have added a bunch of features over the last year so sending it in would be a pain.