New Orbea Weenie build, help me with color choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

go4custom

by go4custom

Ordering up a 2017 Orbea Orca, but can't quite decide on a color. I'm a little over the "blacked out" bikes, but not totally opposed to black. I know some of you will say, "ride whatever you want who cares" but curious to some opinions out there.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/orca-m20team

Secondly, what do you think will build a lighter bike:

Campy Record or
SRAM eTap

-components will be the same: EE brakes, Berk saddle, Tune Krummes post, Tune cages, Tune skewers, Extralite stem, Zipp handlebar, (wheels haven't been decided)

Thanks

crux

by crux

I would choose the Blue light-Black (Gloss) color scheme. The combination of these colors looks amazing (in my opinion) and it's definitly something you won't see everyday out on the road.

According to this site: http://www.thebikelane.com.au/2015/06/2 ... t-weights/ the eTap groupset would be the lighter one. But I would go anyway for an electronic groupset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I second that choice....Its actually a nice pastel blue...
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

go4custom

by go4custom

@crux, thanks for that link. I know weights are posted here, but having to search multiple pages to find weights is consuming. That was a nice organized complete list.

I was leaning towards the blue too or the white. I'm surprised the eTap is nearly 300g heavier than the mechanical. In true weenie form, its hard to argue for he eTap when combining the mechanical Red with EE's and AICAN housing.

colster

by colster

Were you planning on ordering a frameset alone? I ask as Orbea do not offer Campag as an off-the-peg spec option but they do offer SRAM, so if you go down the SRAM route it may be easiest on the wallet to just buy a SRAM equipped Orca (the My-O custom colour would still be available) and then swap whatver parts you want to over time. Or if you already have the parts you want to substitute then make the swap and ebay the unwanted bits - brand new they're guaranteed to sell.

As for the question of which to go for - have you ridden both before? Ergonomically and in operation I much prefer the feel of Campagnolo, but that's just me. IMHO I feel to make an impartial groupset decision you should blindfold yourself and put your hands on the shifters - whichever is comfiest, go with that, as that is your interface.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Why orbea m20 specifically? I think the old orcas used to be some of the nicest looking around, but the last few just look like everything else. Can't say i am a big fan of any of those colour schemes but enjoy the lack of logos.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The black/blue or black/red. The latter would suit both Campa and Etap with the red accents.
Perhaps it's something to contemplate for wheels and stem, seat post and handlebar color accents?
Many use black/ red and black/red/ white.
Black/blue i have not seen as accent color in any seat post, stem or bar.

All black is nice, but i find a slight accent is a more long lasting love for the eye :mrgreen:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

go4custom

by go4custom

colster wrote:Were you planning on ordering a frameset alone? I ask as Orbea do not offer Campag as an off-the-peg spec option but they do offer SRAM, so if you go down the SRAM route it may be easiest on the wallet to just buy a SRAM equipped Orca (the My-O custom colour would still be available) and then swap whatver parts you want to over time. Or if you already have the parts you want to substitute then make the swap and ebay the unwanted bits - brand new they're guaranteed to sell.

As for the question of which to go for - have you ridden both before? Ergonomically and in operation I much prefer the feel of Campagnolo, but that's just me. IMHO I feel to make an impartial groupset decision you should blindfold yourself and put your hands on the shifters - whichever is comfiest, go with that, as that is your interface.

I planned on ordering the M20Team because its the cheapest complete bike. I can get a slight deal on a stock color, but if I do the MyO, I'd be paying full retail. I plan to strip it for the frame and sell the parts or use the parts for a winter bike. I have owned both SRAM and Campy. Campy feels better in the hands and is always a joy to ride. Functionally, I liked riding the Red22 because I felt like I "set-and-forget-it" more than the Campy. My SR needed more attention.

Right now I'm leaning towards SRAM, but caught between mechanical (for the most weight savings) or eTap. Talking to friends and a shop owner over Thanksgiving rides, eTap is sounding better and better if it's the group I'll ride the most all the time. Not having to ever/rarely touch it for adjustments, ride it all winter and not worry about cable/housing, perfect shift every time, makes it almost worth the weight penalty.

NiFTY wrote:Why orbea m20 specifically? I think the old orcas used to be some of the nicest looking around, but the last few just look like everything else. Can't say i am a big fan of any of those colour schemes but enjoy the lack of logos.

I planned on ordering the M20Team because its the cheapest complete bike. I can get a slight deal on a stock color, but if I do the MyO, I'd be paying full retail. I plan to strip it for the frame and sell the parts or use the parts for a winter bike. And it seems everything is looking more similar. Specifically however, the Orbea is the closest to the measurements of my Custom Sycips and to the HA, Fork Rake and trail numbers I'm looking for that will produce the ride/responsiveness I want. The only other bike that comes close is the Giant TCR Advanced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leodis

by Leodis

I went stock team colours on the M10 team disc but the lead time is quite bad, ordered early Jan with an expected end of March delivery via Epic cycles but it has been pushed back to May. They are saying new orders have a lead time of mid June.