Pioneer cadence magnets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

How durable are the stick on magnets from Pioneer? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... /SGY-MG910

I am thinking they would be an elegant solution for an SRM powermeter. I usually glue on a rare earth magnet to the chain stay but these look like they could be a better solution.

What do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I have them but don't use them with my PM. Looking at them I would not expect any durability issues. Just make sure the frame is clean/contaminant free before you stick them on...........
BB

Coffee & carbon

Geoff

by Geoff

They look nice, but I don't think that will work any better than the glued-on rare earth magnet.

sib

by sib

I'm using the patch-type magnet with my Pioneer PM.
Only had it for a couple of months but no problems with rain or dirt. Reasonably discreet as well.

The arm-type magnet is similar to the old Garmin sensor.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Funny coincidence- I just got replacement magnets in the mail today.

I've had good durability with the magnets, with the caveat that the drive-side magnet on the seat tube is in the perfect position to get chewed up if you drop a chain. After a year and a half, mine needs replacing now. The non-drive side is perfectly fine.

Carrots

by Carrots

I've tried them with my SRM, either my placement was poor (possibility as space was poor on my TT bike for it) but I couldn't get it to wake my SRM up. I tend to just run the K EDGE chain catcher with the magnet on it specifically for SRM. If you have the space for it i'd go down that path.

borist

by borist

Mine has been pretty secure after quite a few kms including rain and all that comes with it.
As above, follow the instructions to ensure the frame is clean and the bond should be quite strong.

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

I've been using them for years and have never had one fall off. They may not work with other brand's power meter, though because they are directional, not just simple magnets. They can be purchased separately in a kit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

GothicCastle wrote:Funny coincidence- I just got replacement magnets in the mail today.

I've had good durability with the magnets, with the caveat that the drive-side magnet on the seat tube is in the perfect position to get chewed up if you drop a chain. After a year and a half, mine needs replacing now. The non-drive side is perfectly fine.

I put the magnet underneath instead of on top to avoid this situation, and it wouldn't fit on my frame on top the usual way. The magnets don't have to be in any specific orientation, so you can place them anywhere in the crank circle that you want. Just make sure you recalibrate so your power vectors don't show the wrong direction.