Campagnolo Neutron Ultra and Bora one 35

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BiaNeutron

by BiaNeutron

Hi everyone, Newbie here with my first post.

I've been running with Campy neutron Ultras (clinchers with the carbon hubs) for around 2 years and been very happy with the low weight. I'm considering aero wheels (clinchers) but don't want to go to heavier wheels than the Neutrons. I'm looking at Campy Bora One 35s and maybe also Roval CL40s as I can get a good sale price on those right now.

Both these options are carbon rims and I'm wondering about the braking performance compared to allow. Am I really going to notice a drop in braking, particularly in the wet, or is surface finishing on carbon good enough now to not notice much difference? How durable over time is this finish? The other question is ride quality compared to the Neutrons. Are these going to be a harsh ride?

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crux

by crux

Hi,
I'm riding the whole year (Switzerland with a lot of rain and snow) with carbon wheels and I've never noticed a breaking issue. You have to start breaking a little bit earlier than with the alloy wheel to clean the breaking surface, but then you will go fine with the carbon wheels.
I also see an advantage in using carbon wheels during rain. When you're breaking with these you have not a residue on the seatstays as if you would use alloy wheels.

sawyer

by sawyer

Braking in wet will not be as good as with Neutrons but in all honesty in the mountains it will be fine and as noted above you just adjust technique a bit

Where it's more dangerous is on dark wet commutes in traffic
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I've got the Neutron Ultras and Bora 50C's and would agree with what sawyer said. Braking's fine on the Bora's (with the red pads) but not as good as the Neutrons. On dry Alpine descents I've never given it much thought, they are fine. The carbon braking is different but once you get used to it it's just as good as aluminium. In the wet it is variable but manageable; where I live it's flat and the braking is fine in the wet but if I was doing an Alpine sportive and it was going to be wet i'd put on an aluminum set of wheels because I'm not the worlds best descender. I've had the Neutrons years and just use them in the winter now. The Boras even seem to climb better than the neutrons to me.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

BiaNeutron

by BiaNeutron

Wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I decided to buy a set of the 35mm wheels which are in the mail right now. Should be here before Christmas.