Wilier Cento1SR - Opinions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Anyone have any opinions of this bike? i have a chance to pick one up at a friendly price.

background- i race. i'm mostly an ex-sprinter (i'm old). i can't climb very well. but my 1 min power is pretty good :)

Allen254

by Allen254

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbg5hCRyvs&t=1136s take a look at this video before you buy. look for companies that are using high compaction molding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Not sure how this relates other than that you are implying that Wilier uses the high compaction molding?

glepore

by glepore

No, there are some pics of internal "issues" on an SR on both Luescher's facebook page and the youtube link. Fwiw, there are "cleaner" frames internally, and this may reflect on manufacturing tolerances, but the 1SR is regarded as having fine ride quality. Maybe not the ultimate stiff sprinter's bike if you favor something superstiff.

I think everyone can point to qc problems in production carbon bikes. Cannondale had a run of Evo's with misaligned dropouts leading to poor wheel alignment and tire rub, a riding mate is returning a Cento 1 Air because of a similar issue (Willer is doing a warranty return and upgrade to a 10 Air at discount)...stuff gets through. Buy based on ride quality, and if there are known issues with a frameset check them out before taking delivery.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

r_mutt

by r_mutt

thanks for this. this is good info.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I have the the white UHC paint theme with HED stinger 6 tubular wheels and DI2. This is by far the best bike I owned so far. I love the integrated Seatpost and the bike is snappy like a race car and stable going fast downhill. I have owned Pinarello Prince , Dogma2 and also have a Canyon Ultimate CF which was my favorite before I build the SR last year

stormur

by stormur

if you want di2 : it's incompatible ( doesn't matter what wilier says, even UHC went mechanical... and di2 for TT on twin frame)
bb: it's not bb386, it's "wilier bb386" : anyway it doesn't hold even their standards, wilier cups are loose fit, proper cups ( like Campagnolo ) are semi loose fit + make slack removal on crank assembly impossible ( shell is to narrow ) or weird positioning ( shimano ) which require shims to keep proper chainline. With good luck you'll get seatmast which fits to topper, I wasn't so lucky...on frame nr 2.

Rear derailleur : hanger is positioned that wy, that ANY ( tested sram/ shimano/ campa; mechanical and electronic ) is on the limit ( outward : any Di2 16 steps out is placed under 2nd smallest cog (!!!).

Fork : in mine was CF particles rattling like crazy... naturally unremovable ( compressed air, water flush) .

All above applies to Cento 1 SR 2014-2015 ( last model with integrated seatmast ) .

how it rides... no idea. had no chance to check it :( .

Have two other Wiliers ( both 101 : cross carbon and XB mtb ) : ZERO complaints, simply fabulous, both quality and ride, but 101SR should be avoided like a plague IMO. After few months of "fights" and frame replacements got my money back and never again. Frame + fork + topper ( size L ) : 1720g...
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Allen254

by Allen254

r_mutt wrote:Not sure how this relates other than that you are implying that Wilier uses the high compaction molding?

i was not referring to willer, i was actually referring to Fuji who is now using high compaction molding on their top tier frames to eliminate wrinkles on their frames and increasing stiffness and lowering weight..
my friend has a willier 07 and it a fine bike very nice but it kills me when i see videos like these and you see that many companies that sell their frames for $5000 dollars, and they cant even get the frame made the right way. lol and they make all sorts of claim about how their frames are the best and stiffest well look at that video and tell if their claims are correct.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

stormur wrote:if you want di2 : it's incompatible ( doesn't matter what wilier says, even UHC went mechanical... and di2 for TT on twin frame)
bb: it's not bb386, it's "wilier bb386" : anyway it doesn't hold even their standards, wilier cups are loose fit, proper cups ( like Campagnolo ) are semi loose fit + make slack removal on crank assembly impossible ( shell is to narrow ) or weird positioning ( shimano ) which require shims to keep proper chainline. With good luck you'll get seatmast which fits to topper, I wasn't so lucky...on frame nr 2.

Rear derailleur : hanger is positioned that wy, that ANY ( tested sram/ shimano/ campa; mechanical and electronic ) is on the limit ( outward : any Di2 16 steps out is placed under 2nd smallest cog (!!!).

Fork : in mine was CF particles rattling like crazy... naturally unremovable ( compressed air, water flush) .

All above applies to Cento 1 SR 2014-2015 ( last model with integrated seatmast ) .

how it rides... no idea. had no chance to check it :( .

Have two other Wiliers ( both 101 : cross carbon and XB mtb ) : ZERO complaints, simply fabulous, both quality and ride, but 101SR should be avoided like a plague IMO. After few months of "fights" and frame replacements got my money back and never again. Frame + fork + topper ( size L ) : 1720g...

hmmm- this model is a Cento1SR from 2016 (no ISM). i was planning on building it with Record EPS. why is DI2 not compatible?

stormur

by stormur

New model solves 2 main issues ( at least in my head ;) ) : integrated seatmast ( mine on frame nr 1 was OK, but on nr 2 couldn't fit it , difference was 0.9mm ( topper narrower than mast ) and "bb386" ( did Wilier went to BB86 ? ). Wilier use specific variation of 386 : shell is narrower in width and wider in ID than standard 386evo, so you have to use WILIER BOTTOM BRACKET which is ... I would say "drop fit" - cups come and go by finger - not even - push.

DI2 compatibility : smallest cog was out of limit range : my 101SR changed 11sp into 10 ; all steps out and without limit screw jockey was under 2nd cog on ALL frames. Same derailleur was fine with my other Wiliers.

Anyway, choice is yours , but I'm done with this brand ( at least for a while ) . Wiliers customer "care" is 2nd story... far away from that what I would describe as "care"... They don't care - you are ALWAYS the 1st client with issue in entire history of wilier ;)

That's my expereince, others can have other (again : with 101SR only . Other Wilier frames of mine are still fabulous )
Mark Twain

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

FWIW, a few experiences w/Wilier & my '13 Cento1 SR might be pertinent...

On customer care: in September '15 the carbon fiber layer to which the front derailleur hanger was attached on my much loved '10 Cento Uno began to separate. This was discovered totally by accident when I had the bike in the LBS for other routine maintenance (new cables, etc.). When I checked the 5-year warranty on the frame, amazingly it turned out to be the exact day that the warranty expired. The timing was purely coincidental and fortuitous for me, if Wilier would honor the warranty. They did. Working thru my LBS, which was not a Wilier dealer, the representative at Wilier USA was very considerate and a strong advocate on my behalf negotiating an acceptable resolution w/Wilier IT (the 'home' office). I received a free NOS '13 Cento1 SR, my preference over the '15 models that had replaced the Cento Uno line, b/c I prefer the ISM.

On QC: the build on the '13 last year went perfectly w/no issues on the frame quality (alignment, finish, etc.) even though I ran a mismatched gruppo: DA 7900 derailleurs and shifters; EE brakes; and Campy 11-sp SR UT cranks. It all works fine and I've had zero issues since.

And on ride quality: although I'm 65-years-old and weigh 72 kg, so I don't race or push the small size frame anywhere near its limits, I find it handles wonderfully. Stable; smooth; sufficiently stiff; and reasonably comfortable. I'm not a highly skilled bike handler but I'm fine on moderately curving descents at >80 kph, and the bike climbs better than my ability. The 'popular wisdom' about the original Cento Uno and the Cento1 SR ride quality certainly is true to my experience.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

wingguy

by wingguy

Not sure what that guy is talking about. Wiler BB386 is BB386 - Wiler, BH and FSA were the original partnership who designed it.

Cento1 SR is DI2 compatible, and obviously it can run 11sp gearing just fine.

I think this dude has a history of finding faults with single frames and extrapolating out to entire production runs or even companies. Not really sure what that's about!

r_mutt

by r_mutt

any one of you ride a size S or M. I seem to be right in between both. for reference, i ride a 52 Cannonade Evo, a M Litespeed C1R, and a 52 S-Works Tarmac SL3.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I'm using FSA 386 Evo ceramic bb and install was easy breeze. Shimano adapters and dura ace crank installed and perfect for 6000 miles so far. DI2 with eleven speed no issue at all and shifting is as perfect as it gets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

wingguy wrote:Not sure what that guy is talking about. Wiler BB386 is BB386 - Wiler, BH and FSA were the original partnership who designed it.

Cento1 SR is DI2 compatible, and obviously it can run 11sp gearing just fine.

I think this dude has a history of finding faults with single frames and extrapolating out to entire production runs or even companies. Not really sure what that's about!

Simple question : DO YOU HAVE WILIER ? Or you just trolling ?

1st: Measurements don't lie. bb386 is 86.5 / 46 , Wilier 101SR is not. Thats why they supply own cups . That's why when installed Campagnolo UT cups even 3 weavy washers couldn't take of the slack .
2nd: best what Wilier customer support did, it was sending me to local dealer . Any Q for technical support was answered : we don't know. Contact dealer.
3rd : I had ( possibly ) more 101 framesets in recent 6 months than you bikes in last 6 years ( incl replacemets of faulty frames ).
4th. I still do have 2 other "101's" : both excellent, very well ,made and ride is really awesome. Issue was related to 1 frame model ONLY. Multiple pieces of it
5th. Dealer finally returned payed price , would they do that for frame which is OK ?

6th. I'm not your "dude".

7th. "Blessed those who has nothing to say and do not wear it into words" . Print this on small piece of paper , put in wallet and read anytime if you're not sure of something. Save keyboard and data transfer.

Fact is, that nowadays frames quality fits much more to "made in China" description than "Made in USA" or "made in EU". However are many products from far east with simply superior quality.

Next thing is, why I didn't EVER complained for Ridley, NeilPryde, BH ? Because they were made as should be. I will never complain for customer care at BMC. Because it's fabulous. AGAIN: MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

If something is good, is good. When it's not ... is not . Simple as that. There's no ideology in this, nor faith/ religion. Pure facts. Opposite to many "opinions" ( at any place in net ) what I write base on REAL EXPERIENCE. Sometimes on 1 piece only, but still real. And please, don't let me believe that this one piece was made exceptionally bad/ good. It's mass production. Issues are serial. Same as good quality.

And most funny part is that what you will do with that, is totally up to you. I don't don't care.
Mark Twain