Look 795 E-post 2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Adachi

by Adachi

So I am a hardcore lurker of these forums, and I made an account just to ask this question since I cannot seem to find a proper answer anywhere on the net.

I am considering buying a Look 795 from my brother in law. The 795 comes with the e-post 2. My question for anybody knowledgeable on the bike or e-post 2 itself: how is the e-post supposed to sit on the bike? When it's tightened to the recommended 2 Nm torque, I can rock the saddle from the nose and tail up and down a bit. I should add that the rocking does not come from the saddle itself, I cannot pull out the e-post with my hands, and the 3 elastomers are all there. He said that's how they all sit on the frame, but that doesn't seem quite right...

I am thinking the seatpost was just not properly cut (i.e leveled) hence the movement. The area of contact looks kind of like the attached picture.

So is the above correct? Is a bit of play okay on these bikes' seatpost? I have never owned one, and I just want to make sure before I drop some money for it.
Attachments
epost 2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

The max torque looks like an 8 . . .

Adachi

by Adachi

vanmatthew wrote:The max torque looks like an 8 . . .

No. That torque of 8 Nm is for the saddle. The e-post 2's max torque (the other bolt you see there down to the right) is 2 Nm.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Is it not so that you can use different hardness of elastomers?
If so, maybe he used a soft version over a harder?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

allives0818

by allives0818

yeap, This is my problem too. I hate it. I've had mine for some time now. I think the old epost design was better. So, I took mine to the shop, and well they replaced the epost2, then installed thicker o-rings in between the elastomers. I took it home and rubbed some alcohol to clean it too. its working, but there is still that fore aft play.
little, but its there. I wish Look can come up with a better solution. For such an expensive bike, this shouldn't be a problem. also, if you've noticed, the a-stem isn't the stiffest. If I push on the bars I can move it. :( My ild 695 was a better design IMO.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have one. when riding I cannot notice any rock even though I can rock the saddle a bit by hand.

If I push on all bars the stem gives alittle no matter the stem. never noticed flex on mine though when riding.

A problem is only a problem if it actually causes a problem. The play in the post is a non problem. The bike works just fine and is great to ride. So are many other bikes as well so if you dont mind non problems then buy the Look. If non problems bother you buy something else but then you are missing out on a quick bike.

allives0818

by allives0818

are you using a short stem? I am using a 130mm. I ask because a shorter stem would mean less flex. anyhow, I did read on the stem not being the stiffest so I'm not really worried about it. as far as the seatpost, I have to learn to live with it I guess. IMHO though, a bike this much should have NO Issues. not even a little bit. I can't feel the play when I'm riding, but I often have to tighten it, otherwise if I pick up the bike by the saddle the seatpost comes off. it did the first time and I must admit I was a bit embarrassed. Another time someone was admiring the bike, he picked it up by the saddle, seatpost came off. So now everytime I ride the 795, I bring an allen key. frustrating, I have a love hate feeling for my new 795. Ive never had any issues with my sworks or trek. I clean and ride them everyday. unlike the LOOK, its too fragile. I keep wondering how the Bretagne Seche team maintained their bikes.

ico

by ico

Have experienced a similar problem on my Look 595 when didn't cut it straight on my first attempt...or isn't it just a new concept of E-post2 that allow the seatpost to flex rearwards thus enhancing comfort on the bike as manual says?

Adachi

by Adachi

bm0p700f wrote:I have one. when riding I cannot notice any rock even though I can rock the saddle a bit by hand.

If I push on all bars the stem gives alittle no matter the stem. never noticed flex on mine though when riding.

A problem is only a problem if it actually causes a problem. The play in the post is a non problem. The bike works just fine and is great to ride. So are many other bikes as well so if you dont mind non problems then buy the Look. If non problems bother you buy something else but then you are missing out on a quick bike.

Thanks everyone. I have decided against buying the frameset from my brother in law.
Last edited by Adachi on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adachi

by Adachi

ico wrote:Have experienced a similar problem on my Look 595 when didn't cut it straight on my first attempt...or isn't it just a new concept of E-post2 that allow the seatpost to flex rearwards thus enhancing comfort on the bike as manual says?

I honestly wondered the same thing. Again, I just want some verification that the movement is normal. I don't live near a Look dealer so unfortunately I can't just make bike shop trip and ask.

allives0818

by allives0818

The rocking of the saddle seems to be normal. LBS sent the post to holly and said all they could do is put thicker orings. It fixed it a bit. the saddle still rocks if I do it by hand. when riding it doesnt rock as much. when I got it back from them, I took it off wiped it with a damp alcohol pad and inserted the seatpost back with the new thicker orings. Seems to have fixed it from coming loose and coming off completely. still, I bring an allen key just to be safe when riding.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Never had the problem of the post coming off. I use a 130mm stem by the way. I dont think the look is fragile. You should see how i ride it and take care of it.
I just don't pick my bike up by the saddle but i dont think my seat would come either. Weighed the bike by hanging it by the saddle.

This is not an everyday bike. It is a race bike neither should it be your only bike, if you can afford one you can afford a sensible machine too.

wingguy

by wingguy

bm0p700f wrote:I have one. when riding I cannot notice any rock even though I can rock the saddle a bit by hand.

A problem is only a problem if it actually causes a problem. The play in the post is a non problem.

Part of the problem with Look is that they're not consistent from bike to bike either. Some seat toppers have a little fore and aft play, other rock so much you can feel it knocking.

The first 695 we had in the A-stem had so much flex you could rock the hoods up and down by inches. We showed it to our Look rep and he said it was normal. Next year we had a new rep, we showed him a video of it and he said it was terrifying and the stem was probably faulty. :unbelievable:

When a bike is designed to work only with proprietary parts (a lot of proprietary parts), those parts had better be *f##k* perfect, and with Look they're not perfect, they're barely adequate.

gitsome

by gitsome

I own a 595 and was seriously thinking of a 795; salespeople at dealership of TWO shops all talked me out of it. Reported same issues w seatpost as well as stem not holding bars well and evem breaking when riders hit a bump and terrible service from Look which literally amounted to "buy a new stem, same model, for $400-500" they all HATE Look. What a damn shame. Thinking about a new Orca or else just some new wheels for my Moots and call it a day...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Stems didnt break/snap but some sort of wedge design doesnt hold the bars solidly and can break hitting bumps when weighted. I am upset as i really liked the overall concept and design of this and have had great years on my 595. Though i will say the 1 bolt epost seatppst sucks on that too, metal teeth tend to wear down and saddles keep slipping upwards, on my second set of hardware for that, one more spare left when that goes im done.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.