Look 795 E-post 2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

The wedge design clamps the steerer tube and holds the stem at the desired angle - if it's not done absolutely properly the stem can drop down. The bars are held by the wrap around carbon clamp fatened by two tiny, low torque bolts... which has actually been designed to not clamp hard enough to hold the bars on its own, and they absolutely will slip down when you hit a bump if you don't use the supplied liquid torque compound, basically low strength locktite.

Genius :roll:

Hovis

by Hovis

gitsome wrote:Though i will say the 1 bolt epost seatppst sucks on that too, metal teeth tend to wear down and saddles keep slipping upwards, on my second set of hardware for that, one more spare left when that goes im done.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Really? I've been riding my 595 e-post for 5 years and it's never slipped. Are you torquing it up properly? It's supposed to be done up pretty tight, 22Nm if my memory serves me correct.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

It is possible i was not torquing high enough at the onset, and metal teeth got worn down, on my second clamp and im doing my best to torque the crap out of it, though the threaded cap is carbon that worries me. When i bought the spare clamp it did NOT come w that threaded end cap and im lucly it didnt get tossed w original clamp that was so worn down...they couldve at least included that tiny piece too.
I was such a Look enthusiast and now im so disappointed in them as a company. Such french stereotypes come true. What a shame honestly.
Can a regular stem be fitted to steer tube on 795? Anybody know?

My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

wingguy

by wingguy

gitsome wrote:Can a regular stem be fitted to steer tube on 795? Anybody know?

I don't think so, because of the keyed sides. Certainly on the 795 Aerolight the front brake cable needs to go through the stem into steerer, which the aerostem has been designed to accomodate.

gitsome

by gitsome

Ahh...but if stem is carefully mounted it actually works or is it flawed design as i have been led to beleieve/told point blank by dealers....?

wingguy

by wingguy

gitsome wrote:Ahh...but if stem is carefully mounted it actually works or is it flawed design as i have been led to beleieve/told point blank by dealers....?

It works... but when it is so sensitive to correct setup, and so prone to slippage if any part of it is slightly misaligned or out of torque, so prone to rounding bolts (there's a 5mm allen head that needs to go to 15nm) then I'd agree that it is a flawed design.

For me personally, no matter how good the rest of the bike may be, the stem and the seatpost are enough to disaqualify them from ever taking my money.

gitsome

by gitsome

Thats pretty much the advice i got from people who sell them...and i basically was ready to pull the trigger. I have more confidence in my lbs now.
I also heard wheel/tire clearance is impossible for aerolight. Just rememebered

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My stem and bars have not slipped. Maybe look have addressed qc issues as time has gone on.

gitsome

by gitsome

What year is yours?

wingguy

by wingguy

bm0p700f wrote:My stem and bars have not slipped. Maybe look have addressed qc issues as time has gone on.

Or maybe not. Had a phone call from Look warranty today - safety recall on Aerostems sold on 695s and 795s since 2015 because the stupid little flimsy clamping band on the front is too stupid and too flimsy and a few of them have broken while riding! :wink:

gitsome

by gitsome

Interesting. Well maybe this means theyre updating the design and solving these issues, albeit a bit late. Pls keep us posted on what you get in replacement.

allives0818

by allives0818

Guys I recently recieved my new warrantied 2017 795 pro team. Just by looking over the frame, I can see that they have layered more carbon in some areas. I decided to build mine with a 130mm stem with zipp sl-70 aero bars. zed3 53/39, speedplay pedals, selle italia carbonio saddle, ursus 38/58 wheelset, and a full campagnolo chorus 11. My 2016 795 rear brake bridge cracked. This is my 3rd warrantied frameset. I started out with a 695, 2016 795 then this. My main goal for this new one was to be able to ride it a lot and not so much worry about the weight. My 2016 had a full Dura Ace 9000.

Things I have noticed....

1. more layer of carbon around the the seatmast where the top tube and rear chainstays meet.

2. I am testing out a prototype epost2. It is not as soft as the productioned epost2 but this one got ride of the fore aft play which we all seemed to have.

3. It feels a lot sturdier and not as fragile as the 2016. I feel like I can ride it as much as I'd like now and not worry about breaking something. (I am a 170lbs btw.)

4. Tire clearance for 25c is still a no. I will have to stick witha 23c or 24c. I can use a 25c but it will rub off the paint a bit. Pretty sure thats okay but I care too much. (I actually installed clear protective films in areas I thought would get hit by road debris)

5. I can still rock the bars if I try to rock it. (using my same setup from my 2016., didnt expect any changes there)

6. The new lockring bolt/ screw for the zed3 crankset doesnt rub the frame anymore when you tighten it. Before the allen key would hit the shell of the BB scratching some of the clear off. I used painters tape on my 2016 to prevent that. This one clears the allen key.

Last but not least, I havent tried using regular chainrings other than my zed3 setup so I dont know if you still need to run an extra washer in the back to use non look chainrings. I had to use an extra washer when I tried to use praxis chainrings before.

well thats all I have for now. Hope you guys find this useful. oh and BTW, Travis the new LOOK associate is great to work with compared to the old associate. :)

gitsome

by gitsome

Great update thanks. Hope they widen the damn tire clearance someday....good luck setting up and riding now! Feel free to post pics!!

milesthedog

by milesthedog

Adachi wrote:So I am a hardcore lurker of these forums, and I made an account just to ask this question since I cannot seem to find a proper answer anywhere on the net.

I am considering buying a Look 795 from my brother in law. The 795 comes with the e-post 2. My question for anybody knowledgeable on the bike or e-post 2 itself: how is the e-post supposed to sit on the bike? When it's tightened to the recommended 2 Nm torque, I can rock the saddle from the nose and tail up and down a bit. I should add that the rocking does not come from the saddle itself, I cannot pull out the e-post with my hands, and the 3 elastomers are all there. He said that's how they all sit on the frame, but that doesn't seem quite right...

I am thinking the seatpost was just not properly cut (i.e leveled) hence the movement. The area of contact looks kind of like the attached picture.

So is the above correct? Is a bit of play okay on these bikes' seatpost? I have never owned one, and I just want to make sure before I drop some money for it.

I felt the e-post was too heavy, so I made a custom carbon topper, molding in a Ritchey clamp...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

catani

by catani

4. Tire clearance for 25c is still a no. I will have to stick witha 23c or 24c. I can use a 25c but it will rub off the paint a bit. Pretty sure thats okay but I care too much. (I actually installed clear protective films in areas I thought would get hit by road debris)

I own a 2015 795 Aerolight and have had no problem fitting 25c size tyres. Whether on the front or on the back. I have had various different tyre makes fitted all in size 25c and the clearance to the chainstays is about 2mm on each side. Meaning I could possibly even roll on 27c, but I haven't tried.